Buy/Sell Forum Abuse

Ronnie

Should a new user have a minimum number of posts before being allowed to post to the Buy/Sell forum?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new user have a minimum number of posts before being allowed to post to the Buy/Sell forum?

• YES
    • NO

I see more and more people register on this forum for the sole purpose of posting an item for sale with details on how to contact them privately. They might post again if someone asks a question but other than that they have nothing to contribute to the forum.

Many other forums I visit, that have a buy/sell section, require a user to have minimum number, (usually 100), of posts in the regular forum before you are allowed to post to the buy sell forum. I think this forum should consider doing the same. Anyone else agree? Any reasons you would disagree? Please take the poll.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Because I sell Reatta parts it would be natural for me to say yes and slightly stifle competition but I voted no.

I do sell my parts for less than other sellers on this forum and usually have all parts in all colors available and have been selling Reatta parts for about 12 years making me the longest running parts vendor also but--------

( thanks for this post allowing me to give my sales pitch and not clog up the buy sell forum with repetitive posts ) :)

--------- even if someone is "using" this buy sell forum for his own interest it still gives the folks here the opportunity to purchase an item they might be interested in and not otherwise know of it's availability.

Guest steveskyhawk

In this case I agree with Jim. I voted no. The majority of the people that read this forum are not registered and do not post. I think it would be counter productive to deny them the ability to post something for sale. Getting quality parts to restore or refurbish a Reatta is half the challenge and many people come here just for that purpose.

If there is any abuse of this forum it is by the old cronies on this forum.

I voted no.....We need to remember that this forum is owned by the AACA and not the BCA or the Reatta Division or a Reatta group. We are their guests so it would be up to them to set policy. I have talked to a lot of people over the years and most of them tell me the reason they dont post is because they dont feel like they know enough to make a contribution. Lets face it we have a lot of very knowledgable folks here and when a question is asked they get answers very quickly. The Reatta forum is the most active forum on the AACA website. If you have something to sell, post it and good luck.

Chuck Kerls

Edited by Booreatta
add info (see edit history)

We need to remember that this forum is owned by the AACA and not the BCA or the Reatta Division or a Reatta group. We are their guests so it would be up to them to set policy. I have talked to a lot of people over the years and most of them tell me the reason they dont post is because they dont feel like they know enough to make a contribution. Lets face it we have a lot of very knowledgable folks here and when a question is asked they get answers very quickly. The Reatta forum is the most active forum on the AACA website. If you have something to sell, post it and good luck.

Chuck Kerls

This poll was not intended to impose any rules on anyone in itself. It is just a poll to see how others feel about this subject and nothing else.

I often have people call me wanting to sell their car. I tell them about the forum and quite often they don't have a computer. If they give me the details about the car along with their phone number, I will post the car for them.

On the parts..... if the regulars or yourself see abuse or fraud, then the post should be removed. Maybe the AACA registration requirement should require a town/state or additional information when they register, this might help track abusers that use multiple on-line names etc.

Guest steveskyhawk

Choice cars are best listed in Hemmings unless the seller will be satisfied with half price. This is the advice that should be recommended.

No.

A non-regular may have something someone has been searching for but may otherwise not find.

I agree. I voted no for this very reason. If you've got something to sell, then nothing should keep you from selling it.

No, I have not been on this forum as long as others, haven't I been selling Reatta parts the longest, and I don't have the cheapest prices. But I do my best to satisfy my customers, and give them the part they need for their year car in a timely manner. I do my best to make the experience delightful for the customer with new boxes, and clean items.

Anyways, enough of my sales pitch.

The crux of the matter is exactly what Wildcat said. Lots of people have rare items that we don't see often. They're not "established posters" but just want to offer what they have to sell.

If the item was something that you wanted, you people that vote yes would have a very different opinion. I guarantee it.

Guest Omaha Reattas
No.

A non-regular may have something someone has been searching for but may otherwise not find.

I wholeheartedly agree and voted no also.

A good example is the lighted Reatta sign that showed up on buy/sell today.

I want every opportunity to have a Reatta saved into the Reatta community so I agree with Paul Syrdal as well.

Initial posters are - sometimes annoying - because they do not provide enough info, this is true of ALL the AACA Buy/Sell formats - but ultimately they have something WE as a Reatta community value where otherwise it might go to a lesser interested party.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I had two folks I was going to give the forum's website address to so they could post some items for sale. Guess I won't bother to now.

One said something about finding a greyish metal model of a Reatta on a wooden base in their attic, and the other found a dark greenish looking convertible in the back of grandpa's barn on their estate inspection.

I'll tell them to list them on ebay or craigslist as we're not interested in dealing with newbee strangers on here.

Reminds me of what a wise princess once said: "Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a real prince."

;):):D

Happy Halloween :eek:

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

I had two folks I was going to give the forum's website address to so they could post some items for sale. Guess I won't bother to now.

One said something about finding a greyish metal model of a Reatta on a wooden base in their attic, and the other found a dark greenish looking convertible in the back of grandpa's barn on their estate inspection.

I'll tell them to list them on ebay or craigslist as we're not interested in dealing with newbee strangers on here.

Reminds me of what a wise princess once said: "Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a real prince."

;):):D

Happy Halloween :eek:

OUCH

Guest steveskyhawk

The Polo Green 1991 Reatta convertible wont be found in a barn. They will be found in a multi car garage in an upscale neighborhood.

I vote no as well. My reasoning mirrors the rationale expressed by several others already, sometimes a car junkie non-Reatta owner comes across a rare item, recognizes it's value and needs a place to sell it. Since this is a Reatta specific forum, it is a natural place for people to be able to list these items. If they are not established members (based on X number of required posts) then they can't post an ad, and a Reatta owner (at least those of us here) loses out.

As far as abuse of the buy/sell [or the forum in general] this is why we have moderators. Any registered forum member can alert a moderator to a post that is improper, offensive or non-conforming [if the mod doesn't spot it themselves]. The mod hold the final judgment, and can move, edit or delete a post if needed. Spammers/bots/abusive posters can also be banned if necessary. So, I see no need for further restrictions posting at this time.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

It is my feeling that the 10 thread/post requirement would be a bit limiting and discourage overall participation.

A recent thread from a virtual one-timer resulted in some interesting information being brought to light, of benefit to both Forum participants, and it would have been unfortunate for a restriction to have caused this to have been denied.

My humble opinion only.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this poll. It appears the masses have spoken loud and clear. After reading what everyone posted on this subject I understand why you feel like you do. Not being a collector myself, I had never considered the benefits of having someone new posting here for the sole purpose of making a sale. I was thinking about it as someone who frequents the audio forums where vintage audio equipment is sold by people who are not always as honest as they should be. That is why the audio forum owners had to take steps to quell the misuse of their forum by scammers... such as the requirement to have 100 posts to the general forum before being able to post to the Buy/Sell sub-forum.

When I started this poll I didn't intend to offend anyone or step on any toes. I apologize if I did.

I see now how the majority feels and I totally agree with your reasons for keeping the Buy/Sell forum the way it is. I have always thought this is the best forum on the Internet. I was just wondering if a change needed to be made to keep it that way. Thanks again.