Is this a 1949 Crosley?

Matt Harwood

This interesting little beast came across my radar recently and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I'm informed that it is a 1949 Crosley, but I'm not seeing anything else like it anywhere. Could it be a special body kit or some kind of commercial vehicle, as it sort-of appears to have fire sirens fitted.

Does anyone recognize it, and can you shed any light on this car? Thanks in advance!

post-31138-143138712412_thumb.jpg

Highly modified, can't narrow down to 1949 from that photo, it is a 49-52 wagon based custom.

Looks like the kind of thing a fire company or Shriner group would do.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. The owner mentioned something about these cars being available through the mail, so I thought maybe this was some kind of mail-order version.

I knew there would be an answer here. Thank you!

Guest Skyking

All kidding aside, I think this was once the lead car for pulling the kids around in some of the Northeast amusement parks..............I know they used Crosleys...........here you see they also used Metropolitans.

2401425520059801719S600x600Q85.jpg2401425520059801719S600x600Q85.jpg

Matt;

I'll agree with Jim and Dale. Highly modified CD model Crosley wagon or pickup. I'll agree that it is most likely a 49 or 50 due to the hood design. Can't narrow it down any more than that with a VIN. We often hear from the "lightly informed" that Crosleys were bought through the mail as kits. Not so ever, best I can figure is that people are confused with the King Midget.

Dave- Not a Crosley cab and chassis. there was not much body work behind the cab on them and they had a complete cab.

Sky king: Overland Amusement used the Crosley for the Kidde Fire Truck first for a few years. When Crosley went out of business, they went to the Metropolitan to fill the gap until they stopped producing the ride.

Barry; I have a 27 foot trailer and usually take 2 Crosleys to any show ai go to. Often i get asked how i got 2 cars there. My answer...same as yours...I strap one on each foot!!!

Dave A,

It could be a 51-52. If you look real close you will see the bottom portion of the hood has been cut off, above what would have been the rounded section for the grill. The front part of the fenders have also been cut out wherethe parking lights were.

Also looks to have 2 steering wheels..., and a continetal kit.