Opinions on this FS 1951 Chrysler

Guest BJM

1951 chrysler deluxe 2dr hardtop

I am casually (in no hurry) looking for a compliment to my 49 New Yorker 2 door club coupe. I saw this 51 2nd year Mopar 2 door hardtop in the local CL.

I usually do not consider Windsors. (or Buick Specials or lesser models) It's not a slam to those that own Windsors or Royals. I just prefer the "cream of the crop" when I collect.

However, I was advised that these 6 cylinder Chryslers/DeSotos etc have a lot more parts accessability. The body is attractive to me. Interiors would be about the same.

I think the price is negotiable down on this one because of the soft market. I have an agreement from a dealer to sell me a 47 New Yorker Club Coupe for $2000 (non running project) so that is sort of my "barometer".

Still, this one is close by and I am tempted to go look at it. What do you experts think? Issues to consider?

I would say definitely worth a look. Does not seem to be rusted out or smashed. If the condition doesn't scare you it seems like a good deal. Book value $2400.

The six cylinder models are much more common and easier to get parts for. Most things are available from your local NAPA store. The same engine was used in cars 1938 - 54, Dodge trucks until 1962, and in industrial military and marine applications till the late 60s - early 70s. So engine parts are in demand, and available reasonable. Things like brakes, suspension etc are also in good supply.

The big killer on Chryslers of that era is chrome. Where lesser cars used polished stainless steel the Chryslers used a lot of chrome plated white metal. This is all pitted and pimpled now and costs a fortune to restore.

If you had it on the road it would drive much like your New Yorker, a little slower but easier to handle in parking and in traffic. All in all a nice car to drive, if you are not in too much of a hurry.

Chrome for 1951 and 2 Chryslers is near impossible to find in good condition. The original chrome was of poor quality when new-nick named "Korean chrome". It was coated with a clear protective coating. Rechroming-if possible will cost a fortune. I have a 1950 NewYorker hardtop. It handles like a big classic car so to speak and then I drive a Windsor and it's kinda like a little sporty car-much easier to drive. The straight eight NY'er is the car to drive on long high speed trips-very comfortable. The 6 cyl Chryslers max out at 60MPH.

I also have a 1952 NewYorker Hemi coupe I am restoring and have found all real nice NOS die cast grille and fender mouldings. It cost me 10 years of searching and lotsa money and I mean lotsa lotsa $$$$.

The 1951 and 1952 Chryslers are not a good antique car investment as they are not all that popular. The convertible is another story though. Hardtops are the 2nd choice to own IMO. Eight cylinder cars will comand more money and probably better resale too if in good condition. I bought my cars because I liked them not for resale or investment value.

I have a 1950 NewYorker hardtop. It handles like a big classic car so to speak and then I drive a Windsor and it's kinda like a little sporty car-much easier to drive.

The 1951 and 1952 Chryslers are not a good antique car investment as they are not all that popular.

I bought my cars because I liked them not for resale or investment value.

Your 1st comment is interesting. These old cars are heavy and hard enough to steer so maybe a 6 cyl Windsor is a nice change of pace, especially for an all windows down hardtop.

I don't buy my cars for investment. I am in my last purchase cycle and what I have is what I will have "for the duration". I am buying my cars for the same reason, hobby enjoyment.

I have an 8 cyl top-of-the-line bias because I can. I can't afford a new Chrysler 300C ($40,000?) but I when I collect I just keep looking until I get my "bucket list" cars (within reason - I still can't afford convertibles).

But this Windsor just caught my eye. Like I said, I can buy a 47 New Yorker Club Coupe when I am ready for $2,000 but I would almost rather have a 47 Windsor Club Coupe for it's ease of parts and handling. Same good post war looks.

I have a 1950 NewYorker hardtop.

I have been looking for a 50 New Yorker 2 door hardtop to complement my 49 Club Coupe. Kind of the "old and the new" 2 door incarnation. Wanted to hit a Nebraska auction this summer of a Mopar collector that had 1-2 of them but did not have the cash to bid so stayed away.

I buy projects. I suppose a nice finished 50 Newport NY is $20,000 or more.

So, that is partly why I am considering this 51. I really like the early post war cars and 51 is about as far away from 46 as I want to go.

On the chrome issue... have been looking into a new process to "paint" chrome. It is not paint as such, it is a coating that sprays on like paint and looks just like chrome.

The preparation is easier than for chrome, the white metal can be repaired primered and painted then the chrome sprayed on. The coating will go on over paint or plastic as well as metal.

See a part being "chromed" in less than 2 minutes.

Spectra Chrome Metalizing Process.mp4 - YouTube

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this product?

Hello Bryan we have been in touch before on other Chrysler threads.

I bought a 50 New Yorker Newport in Jan. of 05 and it was cold! I paid $600.00 for it, it had been outside since 1978 when it sold for $2700.00, which was a considerable sum then as far as Chrysler products go, I paid $500.00 for a nice solid 40 Plymouth that year.

Our car although it was outside and leaking only needed about a foot of outer rocker panel replaced on each side the original rocker drain holes are still there, the steering wheel was junk and the rest of the interior weak. Different steering wheel, seat covers, new brake parts, gas tank cleaned, and a few other things and we put 8000 miles on it in three summers. The original gray paint was gone for the most part but the black paint on the roof is still original.

You already know you can't beat Chrysler products of these years for engineering we have a 48 Ford and a 49 Chevy and they can't compare even compared to our 51 Plymouth.

I don't know how much the seller will bend but you can show him the picture of our Newport at the time of purchase and tell him it only brought $600.00.

Now you have to realize the grille and other cast chrome pieces on our car are terribly pitted but it really shines nice, a young lad asked me if I put glitter in the chrome, but I say it has the optional gold metal-flake chromeicon7.gif.

Jay

post-39071-14313871246_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143138712462_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143138712475_thumb.jpg

Bob, c49er, I'm looking at the photos you posted of your Newport and I think I see a Plymouth business cpe. but the rear fenders seem to be different the chrome stone shields almost look imperial? Is there something different about this car?

Jay

Yeah....what is that? There are some definite 1951-52 Imperial stone guards and I see wire wheels.

It's a very unusual Chrysler Business coupe with MoPar (Motor Wheel) wires, a built 331 Hemi with Fluid Torque Drive. Also the car has power brakes and power steering. This is a car Chrysler should have built for 1951-1952! I finally have also found all NOS die cast for it except the rear skirt mouldings:mad:

Bob

post-62228-143138713478_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138713482_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138713498_thumb.jpg

Neat car Bob, what front sheet metal are you using? Take care of those Imperial taillight lenses they are hard to find, but I'm sure you have some in reserve. I should have known it was a Dodge by the angled window frame of the door window. Our 51 Plymouth's paint appears to be about the same color and condition as your car. Have you ever seen a Torque- Drive behind a Straight 8, this question was asked on PWHM but I never saw a reply.

Jay

post-39071-143138714865_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143138714874_thumb.jpg

Hi Jay, I have NOS Imperial tail lights and housings. Front sheet metal is 1951-2 Newyorker. I like it's look better than the heavy Imperial grille-way too much chrome for me. The Dodge was/is Pitcairn blue. The car will be painted a correct chrysler Juniper metallic green. As for the 323 FTD- I did follow that short thread. The problem is the 323 rear block bolt pattern is different than the sixes or hemis. The bell housing and adapter plate would not fit up. Suppose if you were really into one could be mated up.

I should try to mock one up and really see whats needed as I have another FTD off a 331 Hemi. Nice P-23 cpe!

Bob