Battery question

414TATA

Just installed a new 6 volt Delco (the car is not here so now I forgot full name etc.) The dealer is a battery only place and said this was more powerful than the one which would be considered stock.

Installed in a 1941 Buick straight 8

I will probably only drive this car 40 miles per week all on one trip.

My question is: Is this enough driving to keep the battery charged based on the generator working as it should, or do I need to keep a trickle charger in place.

MY car is garaged. The low temp in the garage during winter is probably no lower than 50 F.

I know this forum has some great advice for me on this subject.:)

Thanks in advance.

Wayne B

1941 Buick Super 50

post-78086-143138703703_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138703731_thumb.jpg

You can increase the life of your new battery and assure greater reliabillity by following some simple procedures:

I recommend a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Junior for your 6 volt battery. After each use of the car, connect the Battery Tender and then unplug it after the green light comes on indicating that it is fully charged. A generator and voltage regulator that are in good condition will maintain the battery but not as good as an alternator, hence the use of the Battery Tender.

Be sure the battery cables are of the proper gauge for a 6 volt system and that all connections are clean and tight.

Check the water in the cells several times a year and add distilled water as needed.

Finally, install a heavy duty cutoff switch so that when the car is not in use and parked in the garage the battery is disconnected from the electrical system to minimize battery drain and the chance of an electrical fire due to faulty or frayed wiring.

Real nice looking car and good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

Wayne,

I'm in the same boat. New Battery when I got the car last year. 1 year of driving, but found that I needed to put the car on the trickle charger inbetween. The car usually started on the first push of the pedal or slightly longer with the push button. On a few occasions it took 2 and three times. If the battery wasn't full charged, I could hear the slow start. Agree with Joe's comments, don't just leave the trickle charger on all the time. Charge it and shut the charger off and then use the cutoff.

Also found that I needed to pull off both battery cables, clean both ends with a wirebush, add some of the dielectric (both ends) and that made a big difference for me.

You can increase the life of your new battery and assure greater reliabillity by following some simple procedures:

I recommend a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Junior for your 6 volt battery. After each use of the car, connect the Battery Tender and then unplug it after the green light comes on indicating that it is fully charged. A generator and voltage regulator that are in good condition will maintain the battery but not as good as an alternator, hence the use of the Battery Tender.

Be sure the battery cables are of the proper gauge for a 6 volt system and that all connections are clean and tight.

Check the water in the cells several times a year and add distilled water as needed.

Finally, install a heavy duty cutoff switch so that when the car is not in use and parked in the garage the battery is disconnected from the electrical system to minimize battery drain and the chance of an electrical fire due to faulty or frayed wiring.

Real nice looking car and good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

Thanks Joe

Great advice.:D Will pick up a tender and work on getting the cut off switch installed.

Wayne B.

Fresno, Ca.

Thanks Larry.

Beautiful Buick you have there.

About four years ago an older man maybe in his 90's came to my work (cemetery) to visit family graves. He was driving a 41 Conv. I believe a Super not sure now. He was the original owner he told me he bought it when he graduated from Stanford as a present to himself. It was dark blue and I think a tan top. Fantastic condition. He lived in Oakland, Ca. He gave me a ride. He was still very proud of that Buick. and rightly so.

We love our "Buicks"

Wayne

1941 Super 50

Fresno, Ca

I could not find a 6V tender locally, so I used what I had.

6V battery charger and a electrical timer. Timer is set for 10 minutes per day (about 10 in the morning) and it seems to be about the correct amount of time to keep the battery charged.

Like others said, I do put a full charge on the battery after using the car.

I am also using an Optima battery, quite pleased with it as it spins the engine ('39 Century) better than any of the original batteries that were in the car.

To hide the bright red color of the Optima, I found a cheap black plastic trash can of the correct size to cover the battery. Trimmed the trash can to fit (it was about 4 inches taller than the battery) and drill holes in the bottom of the trash can for the battery terminals.

When you look into the engine compartment, you do not notice the battery or the fact that it is not the original monster battery.

Guest outlaw car man

I've been using Optimas for many, many years. Great cranking power, no worry about acid problems either, dry cell.

I've spent a lot of money on a lot of 6V batteries, till I ran across the Optima brand.

The one in my green 33 90 came from my 33 Essex Terraplane 8, then in a 54 Hudson Hornet, now in a 1933 Buick 90.

Like the battery bunny, still going.

I get them online, compare prices. Last one came from Summit I think.

I normally bring the batteries in for the winter now- Colorado.

Works for me

Sandy

Like others said, I do put a full charge on the battery after using the car.

I am also using an Optima battery, quite pleased with it as it spins the engine ('39 Century) better than any of the original batteries that were in the car.

Attached is a photo showing the Optima battery covered by a cheap black trash can.

You can see a little of the red top of the Optima around the terminals. At this time, it is held in place with a heavy duty black cable tie.

post-30596-143138707575_thumb.jpg