Something to think about regarding the role of the Team Captain.

Shop Rat

One of the duties of a Team Captain is to help new judges that need some extra guidance in the performance of their task. Some folks hit the ground running and "get it" quickly. Others struggle a bit at first but go on to be fine judges and Team Captains themselves in time. They need support not only from the Team Captain but understanding from their fellow team members while this is going on.

I mention this because I just had it happen. Experienced judges, and a new one that has hit the ground running, that weren't very patient about one new judge that was struggling and needed more of my help than they did. Which of course made the judging go a little slower than they would have liked it to. I hope that the one judge didn't pick up on their unhappiness. He is a nice guy and I would hate to have his feelings hurt.

I won't let a judge in my charge struggle. I want them to go on and enjoy the process, not feel like they are a burden to the team because they are just learning. :)

Susan,

Perhaps the judges breakfast didn’t agree with some. :(

I overheard a judge in our class just prior to judging “many of these vehicles have won about every award possible and they are still bringing them to be judged”. Unfortunately he didn’t mean it in a positive way.

.........I overheard a judge in our class just prior to judging “many of these vehicles have won about every award possible and they are still bringing them to be judged”. ............

Well gosh Ron, that fellow must not know that there were first timers on the show fields looking at cars he had never "seen the likes of before" (you like that phrase?:)).

That's what we have preservation awards for too, to allow the continuing showing of antique cars. Some of those cars are still quite fine too, by the way.;)

Wayne

Ron, that might well be the case. :rolleyes:

My day didn't start off well at all this time. :P

Three of the four judges not only showed up on time, the three that were impatient with the fourth, but they showed up ten minutes before I asked them to be there. That was good. :)

Sadly the fourth showed up fifteen minutes late because he went where we agreed to meet according to the map. Avenue 7 Right, Class 27F at the Ford Thunderbird. The problem? He was waiting at a Ford Thunderbird going for a Preservation Award rather than the one going for it's First Junior Award that was sitting around the corner on Avenue 8 Right where they put the 27F First Junior vehicles. The map wasn't that specific as to where each group was.

Easy mistake to make but it put us behind. I judged the exterior of the first car and was about to judge the second one when he showed up. He was truly sorry. He is such a sweet man I hope he doesn't get discouraged and quit. He will get better with more experience. He thanked me for all my help as we said goodbye after handing out the judging chips and little peddle cars. :)

Then on top of that we had what has to be the most stellar group of cars going for First Junior Awards that I have ever seen in all my years of judging. So the three that were less than patient were back faster than the poor guy that was having some trouble and needed my help. I could tell they weren't happy. But what's a Team Captain to do? :o No Judge Left Behind. :D

".........I overheard a judge in our class just prior to judging “many of these vehicles have won about every award possible and they are still bringing them to be judged”. ............ "

I think this is a good thing, so many of the cars get to GN level then we never see them again. I think it's great that the owners continue to bring the cars out for people to see them.