1936 fender help

50jetback

I have suspected for awhile that my 1936 is missing gravel deflector assemblies in both rear fenders on my 1936 Century.

My rear fenders only have a brace behind the rear wheels going from the inner fender to the tab on the fender near the rear of the wheel opening.

Looking in my parts book I see listed 8.214 1292492 gravel deflector assembly right ( series 40 - 60 ) and 8.214 1292493 gravel deflector left ( Series 40 - 60 ).

Other part numbers are listed for Series 80 and 90 so they must differ from my Century.

Does anyone have a pair of these deflectors or could someone supply me with a photograph and measurements so I can fabricate some.

It seems without them the inside rear of the fender could be damged from rock and gravel spray.

Here you go. These are from my 1936 Special. This is the left side gravel shield. It is 18" tall and 10 7/8" at the bottom. If you like I could trace it on a piece of paper and send it to you.

Greg

Thanks Greg, said it before and will say it again - this is without doubt the most helpful forum around.

In the 1st instance I'll advertise and see if someone has some originals to sell, if not I will take you up on the offer of a template from yours.

Stuart,

It appears you have found your answer. Your comment regarding Buick part numbers gave me a chuckle, as it seemed to me that Buick assigned a new part number for every year, model, series, and mood. I think the same part, one day later, had a corresponding updated number! I noticed this when researching a 37 Series 90 I once owned. Anybody know why Buick would regard an identical part on next year's model as a different number?

In general the answer to your question about identical parts having different part numbers is rooted in design engineering and quality engineering principles. The parts are not exactly identical. They may be very similar but they are not identical. A new part number is assigned when the form, fit, or function changes the mechanical drawing for the part. When the "same" part has two different part numbers, there is something different about them. The parts may be interchangeable but the difference is often not obvious.

In general the answer to your question about identical parts having different part numbers is rooted in design engineering and quality engineering principles. The parts are not exactly identical. They may be very similar but they are not identical. A new part number is assigned when the form, fit, or function changes the mechanical drawing for the part. When the "same" part has two different part numbers, there is something different about them. The parts may be interchangeable but the difference is often not obvious.

Agree with Dave on this one. From experience I have found several Buick parts from this era with different part numbers but will fit, function and look near identical to another part for a different model or year. Upon closer inspection difference can be extremely minor but they are there.

Here you go. These are from my 1936 Special. This is the left side gravel shield. It is 18" tall and 10 7/8" at the bottom. If you like I could trace it on a piece of paper and send it to you.

Greg

Greg,

Took Marks advice and tried the Yahoo 37/38 group but no response ( not even a G'day!! ) so would like to take you up on your offer of a template.

Do you want me to send a PM with my address or it is included in the BCA Roster under International members - Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Greg,

Took Marks advice and tried the Yahoo 37/38 group but no response ( not even a G'day!! ) so would like to take you up on your offer of a template.

Do you want me to send a PM with my address or it is included in the BCA Roster under International members - Australia.

More great help from this PreWar Buick group - Greg Roselle has taken the time to make and post a really good template of the gravel deflector assemblies I am missing and this will enable me to fabricate suitable deflectors for my 1936.

Thanks Greg - thanks group.