Brake Drum Dust Covers

40ZephSedan

Always fun to see discussions of new threads from everyone. Have not seen much on Brake Drum Dust Covers. I was always looking for two more for the back drums for a complete set. But John M. put me at ease in Cumberland, MD when he explained they only came on the front. I guess not many survived because usually after the first brake job they got tossed in the trash and never put back on. Wonder if they really served a purpose - possibly more important in the 40's when more gravel, muddy, and dirt roads? To keep stones out or water? Don't know how many years they were standard on our Zephyrs either. Maybe being cautious at the start of hydraulic brake cylinders? Did any other brand car install them also or is this unique to Lincoln? Why not the back, only the front? Kind of an curious item; trying to think back about what they must have been discussing in the old drafting room and design shop- "we gotta put these things on the fronts of the Zephyrs because ........?" PF

post-45349-143138656244_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

I have never seen anything like those before.......I think they may be added on aftermarket. I am gonna check my 40 chassis book...The big issue in the rear was a device similar that mounted to the axle, and acted as a safety for the rear drums / wheel, think about it..if an axle breaks..the wheel come off...but the front?? I would suspect they were a similar device. John M in ocala may know...or Mr Peecher!!..

Like Jeff I've never seen covers like this on a Zephyr or any other car with Bendix brakes? I don't think the factory would ever put something like this on their cars. Most "dust" is generated inside the drum and you wouldn't want to add anything that would further impede it's escape?

Hey Guys...96H 2156 was standard issue on 39 and 40 LZ's and LC's. Listed in the parts catalog as "Guard" (front brake backing plate-splash) assy. Supposedly used to keep water- dust from front brakes. Only used for two years. Mechanics supposedly "forgot" to reinstall them after a brake job.

I just bought an original 39 Zephyr coupe to restore, it has the dust covers on the front brakes as in the pic at the beginning of this thread. I just went to my shop to look at the 2 spare sets hanging on the wall. The part of the band that has the tightening bolt, is flat and does not have the bend that goes against the backside of the backing plate. The 39 has this bend. Huuuuum the plot thickens.