Stone Guard Mesh

oldcar

At the risk of incurring Mrs Peterson's wrath, I am about to show my complete ignorance. As I have used a modern core for the radiator in/on my 1923 Single Six (I just could not justify the additional cost of reproduction honeycomb on my limited retiree's income) I am now going to (hopefully) disguise this with a mesh stone guard. I know that this too is not quite "pucka Packard" for the '23. However all that aside what I need to know is...which is preferable; the mesh on the square or on the diagonal?

Experts please....

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138640803_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

As it is your car you can do as you please.

I am thinking of stone guards I have seen pictures of, from car shows of the early thirties, showing fanciful designs of lightning bolts, circles, and V shapes worked into the design.

I know this was quite a few years after your car was made and would not be suitable in your case. The point is, the stone guard was an accessory made by various firms, who is to say they never made one on the bias?

Attached is a photograph of the one that Henry Yeska can supply. It appears to have a very complex mesh. Sadly at US$ 1,000 plus p&p to Australia and local taxes it becomes just a little too rich for me. I guess I will have to just continue doing my own thing. It is doubtful that a AACA judge will ever get to inspect (pass judgement on) the car. Given the temperatures experienced during our Australian summers I would have some concern regarding the amount of air that would pass through this mesh

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138641507_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

1984 I beeded mesh for a car. I found a company that had all kinds! I may still have their catalog and will try to find it. This was pre-internet I got their contact at the West Tech LA Show

Perhaps a ''Google'' might help

The had Stainless, and plated/non-plated steel

Also they had a page stating how much air was blocked by each kind/size of mesh

Attached is a photograph of the one that Henry Yeska can supply. It appears to have a very complex mesh. Sadly at US$ 1,000 plus p&p to Australia and local taxes it becomes just a little too rich for me. I guess I will have to just continue doing my own thing. It is doubtful that a AACA judge will ever get to inspect (pass judgement on) the car. Given the temperatures experienced during our Australian summers I would have some concern regarding the amount of air that would pass through this mesh

Bernie J.

Run away from the Henry Yeska stone guard. Not well made.

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie,

I think it looks great, especially considering your intended use.

Dale and I and our grandson Nathan really enjoyed having breakfast with you at the hotel in Louisville last year, and wish you well for the coming year.