Which 1930-32 ornament is original?

keiser31

I want a naked lady out there on the front of my car so badly. The plain cap is original equipment, the "Tooter" was optional in '29, and the flying lady didn't come along until 1930. Nevertheless, I want one out there leading the way. I found a repro in a box of parts that came with the car, but it is a two-stud deal that was obviously meant to be mounted on a block of wood and displayed on your desk. Not sure I want to mangle a nice original plain cap to mount it.

Don Sommer makes a beautiful stainless repro...it's only $750. Sigh...

Don Sommer makes a beautiful stainless repro...it's only $750. Sigh...

The real "sigh" here is me making that sound...Don used to make a 1931 Dodge radiator cap in stainless, but doesn't anymore. And thanks for the heads up, guys......I could have ended up with a real nice, but fairly useless reproduction lady ornament.

post-37352-143138635226_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest 56 Cadillac

You can tell repros from the real deal if you can see a casting line running down the centre of mascot, its repro.

I have an excellent repro from a company that made them in the early sixties, I got it still in the original box and had it mounted on a nice trophy base. But Iam sure you could remount it to your rad. I had 4 of these and have 1 left.

Just check Ebay under Cadillac mascot to view

Thanks, John.

I'm convinced that the mascot is the reason for the demise of the Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company.

Their customers had to drive looking at the butt of a naked man. Cadillac owners viewed a naked lady.

At some point that had to have a psychological effect............(and I'm just teasing of course, management issues and the refusal to build a companion line of less expensive models was the failure of PAMCC....)

• 4 months later...

You can tell an original factory mascot it will have a pattern number on the underside of the base. If it was put on by the dealer the pattern number was on the lower side of the leg. They both have one bolt and you can also watch for the indentation on the base to accept the raised rib on the cap.

You also mentioned the tooter. Watch for the point at the bottom if the crest on his chest . The repro point is very small or not there at all. Bill Scherer makes beautiful castings Pebble Beach quality for Stutz & Cadillacs. He is 84 now and has been at it for over 40 years. Flying Goddess is $375 & cap is $90. The last one I got from him in 2011. He is in Harper Woods Mich.

Joe in Canada