Early Brass car help needed

Guest canucktruck

Guest canucktruck

Looking for some technical help.

My dad's 1911 Pratt Elkhart has sat for 25 years and I am attempting to get it running with his help and my limited knowledge.

First, does anyone know if it would be a positive ground or negative? I have a new 6 volt dry cell battery but we're not positive of polarity

Second, pretty sure we need to retard the timing to start and are able to do that but the car seems to want to kick in the opposite direction when it's trying to start. Also not sure where to position the throttle to start. I used to be the one sitting in the car working the controls. Pretty sure I used to put the spark advance all the way retarded and the gas just barely opened and then when it caught, would move spark counterclockwise and advanced, and the throttle moved gradually up too.

Where I'm confused is that it kicks back in the opposite direction of rotation it seems and wont start. Am I missing something? Is there some tech help or a source for more info? My dad is suggesting we tow the car and put it in gear and get going but I have my doubts if thats a good idea!

Any help appreciated! Would love to be driving a 100 year old car this summer!

Generally 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to start. Yes retard the spark for starting. Kickback indicates you may be advanced. Not all spark controls work in the same direction.

To be safe, turn IGNITION OFF, retard timing, choke the carb, open throttle, and crank over a few times to prime the engine. Rotate the engine until the crank handle is at the bottom of rotation. Turn ign on. Pull up on the handle only, with your palm on top of the handle with your fingers open (don't squeeze tight). That way if it kicks back, the crank will pull out of your hand. NEVER PUSH DOWN on the crank with your palm on top side of handle. NEVER crank a motor in a complete rotation with the ignition on. A kickback against your weight is how arms get broken.

Generally 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to start. Yes retard the spark for starting. Kickback indicates you may be advanced. Not all spark controls work in the same direction.

To be safe, turn IGNITION OFF, retard timing, choke the carb, open throttle, and crank over a few times to prime the engine. Rotate the engine until the crank handle is at the bottom of rotation. Turn ign on. Pull up on the handle only, with your palm on top of the handle with your fingers open (don't squeeze tight). That way if it kicks back, the crank will pull out of your hand. NEVER PUSH DOWN on the crank with your palm on top side of handle. NEVER crank a motor in a complete rotation with the ignition on. A kickback against your weight is how arms get broken.

jdrome, I can see that this ain't your first Rodeo. :D Heed the good advice from this old pro. :cool: Dandy Dave!