1949 Windsor hood hinge

I was putting down the hood on my Windsor a couple days ago and the driver's side corner decided to drop mid-way though closing. After cussing over the nice gash left in the paint, I found a bolt in the hinge had busted. I found a replacement but the hood still doesn't close quite right, but will close otherwise. I discovered one of the arms on the hinge is bent so the hood isn't closing like it should.

I'm getting ready to put the car away for the winter and don't really want to leave the hood in this condition, only to have to deal with it next spring. I'm having difficulty finding one of these hinges. Does anyone have any ideas where to look? Do hinges from other models fit? I'm not entirely sure I could pull off the replacement myself without causing some other unforeseen cosmestic damage; what would a local mechanic typically charge for either straightening out or replacing the hinge?

A mechanic should be able to fix the hinge in a few minutes. But it is hard to tell without seeing it. If the hinge has to come off of course it will take longer.

You might show it to a mechanic and see what he thinks or give us a photo.

Worst case, you might need a new hinge but likely the old one can be fixed easily. Someone who reads this board may have one. Right now I am trying to buy a 49 Windsor parts car myself.

Guest cetmeboy308

I had the same thing happen to my 49 windsor except I had 2 go... I'm taking it is your pin broke on the spring /elbow connection and now there is a slight bend in the elbow , its easy to flatten it straight with hammer now for the pin I used a bolt and washers and put on a nylon nut and just tighten it so i will pivot... if your want a the orginal look u will have to have a pin pressed in and flanged...hope this helps

I'm sorry to hear about your hinges, but it's great to hear from someone with the same issue that fixed it themself. I'm not too concerned about the factory bolt, so I may just try my own fix. Was the hood removal as big of a pain as it appears? Thanks!

Guest cetmeboy308

its pretty easy to take the hinge off...place a folded rag under the hood by the antenna so it won't scrach the paint and lift the hood and prop it open in the front section , the hood is held to the hinge by (3) 7/16 bolts and (2) 7/16 bolts on the cross memeber when u remove them the hood will be free of the hinge and will rest on the rag, to remove the hinge from the body there are (2) 1/2 nuts on the inside of the dash next to the hand brake in a line top to bottom remove the nuts , there is a (1) 1/2 bolt on the inside of the hinge in the engine bay remove that and the hinge will come off from the body allowing you to work on the hinge outside of engine bay.. hope this helps any more questions either pm me or post here...mark

Got someone to make an attempt at straightening out my hood hinge. I did take off the passenger side hood hinge as well to give to the guy in order for him to have a little something to go off of when making the proper bends, but did realize something. With the bent hinge off the car, the whole assembly moved freely, as opposed to the good hinge which I just took off, that is locked in the open position. Could this have been the cause of why my hinge bolt busted in the first place? I guess it seems fairly likely from my point of view that if only one of the springs on one of the hinges was supporting the hood, it would put a lot more pressure and the opposite hinge. I'm guessing i'll have to replace the hinge altogether as just straightening it probably isn't going to do much in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

I also need two hood hinges for my 1949 Chrysler Royal. Anybody out there have a couple of hinges. The problem with mine is that they don't hold the hood up. I also need a trunk lock.

Edited by Juan A. Cervantes (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

I also have a 1949 Chrysler Royal Club Coupe. What is it that goes wrong when the hinges don't hold the hood up? Can it be fix? Thanks.

MoPar (Chrysler) had a repair modification kit for the 1949-50 Chrysler hood hinges for the hood falling down problem. It consisted of a extra spring and a long wire rod for this spring.

Do not over lube these lousy hinges! The pivot pins break too. I waited 25 years for the excess lube I put on my 50 NewYorker hinges to dry up! Now finally the hood stays up fine. The 8 cylinder is twice the problem a 6 cylinder car is!

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

Doed anybody out there know how to adjust the hood on a 49 Chrysler? Mine seams to be pushed towards the front of the car about a 1/2" and it's causing it to not close all the way. Thanks.