1936 Century Opera Coupe on ebay

50jetback

This one really is rare.

Buick | eBay

I'm pretty sure this is a 1936 Century Sport Coupe Model 66-SO which had a trunk, internal spare and small opera seat behind the front seat.

The seller refers to it as Model 36-4677 which is the Fisher style number for a 66-SO.

Claims 95% complete and looks to be an easy restorer, especially if the motor is rebuilt as claimed.

It's a real shame Massachusetts is on the other side of the world otherwise I'd be all over that like a seagull on a stale prawn!!

Mr Earl - Massachusetts is in your neck of the woods isn't it? Don't be frightened because it's in pieces - I'll tell you where all the bits go, could even be convinced to come and give you a hand assembling it!!

Production of only 1,078 for domestic sales and only 1 special order for export.

Surprised at the lack of interest in this one - 3 bids and only $1225.

I guess the ebay listing could have been put together better - no photos of motor or a lot of the other important trim and a somewhat scant description.

Still, the sellers lack of marketing skill may result in someone getting a real bargain.

Whoever got this one

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/1936-century-sale-flint-mich-any-283572.html

which we thought was a coupe ( but wound up being a four door sedan with sidemounts ) could really put together an incredible Century Coupe if he got this as well.

The last 1936 Century coupe sold on ebay which was in similar condition ( basket case ) went for the " buy it now " price of $12000.

This was a rumble seat coupe and in many respects not as good as this one - certainly the motor had not be reconditioned but the listing gave detailed photos of what was there and explained the rarity of the car.

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1936-century-coupe-ebay-287544.html

Still wish it was closer!

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Since we don't know the reserve price on the car and there is no "Buy it now" price displayed, the question of whether it is a good buy or not remains unanswered at this time. A seller can set the opening bid on eBay at any amount they like, but that does not mean the car will actually sell for anything remotely close to that amount.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Stuart, Brockton, Mass. is about 1000 miles north of Georgia, so Mr. Earl is off the hook.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Heck Pete, we have to drive that far just to get to the State border so I don't see that little drive letting Mr Earl off the hook!!!!

The ID Plate identifies this car as a Century Coupe ( Fisher Style 36-4677 ) and a couple of the under frame shots show the spring shackles as being those used on the Century and Roadmaster ( Special used different shackles ).

Point taken Mike that we don't know what reserve has been set so it will be interesting to see what further bidding takes place.

Stuart

Hesitated to comment on this one. IF it is a Century then it's desirable because of that fact BUT for me and me only, this is not an attractive body style.

25 years ago I preferred the 3 and 5 window coupes from the 30's (I'm 47 1/2 now) but now I prefer the 4 door or 2 door sedans.

A matter of preference I know but perhaps that is being taken into consideration on bidding for this car. I think the reason for the low bidding is 1. it's a project and the project market is super soft right now. 2. Very bad auction content creates a lack of buzz and interest and wariness. 3. The reserve. Reserves are necessary because as I know from experience, the Buy It Now feature does not work on ebay. It invites too many Nigerian scammers that end auctions prematurely so people are forced to use a Reserve auction format.

5 bidders, 17 bids but reserve not met at $2,945.

Would be nice to know what the seller was expecting for this vehicle, maybe he will relist but give better information and more photos of what he claims to have ( i.e. everything except running boards ).

Stuart,

I know somone that is somewhat familiar with this car, and it has apparently moved from p[asrty to party here in New England over the years. I can ask him if he can try to find a current price, but he indicates to me that the asking price several years ago was well above the last bid I recall like maybe double).

It would require almost all new wood, as I was told and who knows really if all the pieces are there after a few moves. Just my opinion.

It would make quite a nice car and, as you say, quite rare.

John

Stuart,

I know somone that is somewhat familiar with this car, and it has apparently moved from p[asrty to party here in New England over the years. I can ask him if he can try to find a current price, but he indicates to me that the asking price several years ago was well above the last bid I recall like maybe double).

It would require almost all new wood, as I was told and who knows really if all the pieces are there after a few moves. Just my opinion.

It would make quite a nice car and, as you say, quite rare.

John

John,

It would be good to find out what the seller hoped to realise for the car and to find out exactly what was with it and what was missing.

He missed the mark by so far with his description and photos - virtually nothing on the mechanicals - no photos of dash components - instruments - seats or mention of condition of the wooden frame.

Any further info would be interesting, but it's still too far away for me to consider - especially being a basket case!

• 2 weeks later...
I must be missing something? I do not see a buy it now price or reserve. What was the buy it now price?

When listed and prior to any bids it had a Buy it Now price of $4500. I think some listings drop the Buy it Now price once bids are listed.

So now there is no reserve ( last time it was listed it had a reserve ) someone may get a bargain.

Stuart

I believe you are correct. It's only Buy It Now until someone bids so it does give a potential bidder information about the reserve.

Market is super soft, good for buyers UNLESS sellers insist on these nonsense prices like $4500.00. Then nobody wins, car won't change hands.