Hello ROA!

Guest BIGRIV

Guest BIGRIV

Hi, I'm Mike from Somerville, MA (just outside of Boston). I recently bought a '67 Riv back in March. I absolutely love this car. The lines and styling are second to none! I've been an Oldsmobile guy for years. Actually, Olds/Buick/Pontiac always did it for me over the others. Though I love ALL classic cars when it comes right down to it. I've taken it to a few car shows this summer and it seems everybody likes this car.. the hotrod guys, the muscle car guys, old/young, etc.! I've never been more satisfied with an automobile purchase as I am with my 'new' Riviera! This ones a keeper!!

I always had a thing for Boattails as well, '71 especially! I grew up in one and wish now that we still had it kicking around..

Hope to meet and talk to other members and Riv owners!

Mike

Edited by BIGRIV
spelling (see edit history)

Michael,

Congratulations on your 67. I'm with ya. The 67 was my first Riv back in 78. From that time I owned various 67s over the next 30 years when I finally sold out in 2009 to start a 66 project.

In 1986, I was thrilled the find the Riviera Owners Association because at the time, I seemed to be the only one who was into these cars and had no sources for parts or tech info or sharing a common interest.

You mentioned Boatails. I got the bug for one in 97 and bought a 71 GS and restored it but sold it 4 years later. What an awesome car that was. The 66-67 is still my favorite.

Tell us a little more about your car. Color, options, etc.

Good Luck with your car.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest BIGRIV

Thanks, Jason.. I'm definately having fun with it! Aside from the paint and carpet it is believed to be all original. 115,000 well cared for miles! Burgundy exterior w/black interior. A 'working' 8 track player and am radio!!!

post-77961-143138626477_thumb.jpg

post-77961-14313862648_thumb.jpg

post-77961-143138626482_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Welcome to the ROA. If I remember correctly I met you, your gal and your 67 on Friday afternoon at the BCA National in Danvers (gave you the air fresheners). I own the midnight blue 92 which won a Senior Gold award at the meet (received 396 points out of a possible 400). I'm just down the road from you in Weymouth.

Hello and a big welcome to the ROA Michael !!

While I'm partial to second generation Rivs, I have developed an appreciation for all the model years, thanks to the many fine members of the ROA.

Your '67 looks absolutely great, and must be a treat to drive !

Happy motoring with the ROA !!

Mike,

Hopefully your new acquistion is a complete car and everything is in good working order. I'm saying this so that if you do per chance need to find some things, you'll make a careful study of your car and ask questions before buying something that's labeled for a "66-67 Riv." I've owned a couple of examples of each and can tell you from experience there are numerous small differences in them. For example, in '66 the door lock pull is close the the edge of the door; in '67 it was moved closer to the center of the door. You'lll know why they moved it in '67 when you try to reach the lock pull while seated in the front seat of a '66 - it's way back there behind you. Other things are more noticeable, as in the engine compartment - '66 was the last year for the nailhead and '67 was the first year for the 430 big block - distributors are on different ends of the engines, starter motors are on different sides of the engine. '66 Riviera center links are a one year - one model item because of the pan on the '67 engine. Trim items look the same but have different finishes on them.

Basically I'm just saying be sure of what you're buying before you lay out some hard earned cash.

Ed

PS - Rather than fly to Monterey next year, drive out there. That's what makes these cars so enjoyable. You could even win the long distance award for a classic. :D

Michael, I hope you get the chance to Fly out to Monterey CA for the next ROA meet it's alot of fun and you meet wonderful folks from all over the USA. If i give up on my class (79-85) I am getting a 66-67.

He is right, the national is a lot of fun and Monterey is looking like a really nice meet. Nathaniel can always be counted on to have cooler of beer.....errr I mean refreshemets within a few feet of him. :P

Hey Nathaniel - Uh-Oh! you would buy a 66-67? For some reason I interpret the word "If" as "When". :D Heck why wait, whats one more when you already have 8 or 9 cars.

Guest BIGRIV
Michael,

Welcome to the ROA. If I remember correctly I met you, your gal and your 67 on Friday afternoon at the BCA National in Danvers (gave you the air fresheners). I own the midnight blue 92 which won a Senior Gold award at the meet (received 396 points out of a possible 400). I'm just down the road from you in Weymouth.

Hi Dave!

Yes, that was us!! Thanks again for all of your advice and especially for the air fresheners.. it beats the hell out of the 'Royal Pine' one I had!! I'm glad to hear you won an award,, but I am curious... did the 4 points not obtained have anything to do with the mudflaps??!?!!! I can't seem to think of any other reason why a car that sharp wouldn't have recieved the full 400. Either way, Congrats!!

Keep me posted if you hear of any other shows that we could together at... I was definately a day late and dollar short with the Nationals...

Mudflaps were OK...wrong battery and tail pipe extension were not factory spec. You might consider attending a huge car show on Sunday of the Labor Day weekend hosted by Spindles Car Club at the Marshfield Fair grounds. Go to spindlescarclub.tripod.com for more details. Usually 300/400 cars and a good size swap meet.

Guest BIGRIV
Mudflaps were OK...wrong battery and tail pipe extension were not factory spec. You might consider attending a huge car show on Sunday of the Labor Day weekend hosted by Spindles Car Club at the Marshfield Fair grounds. Go to spindlescarclub.tripod.com for more details. Usually 300/400 cars and a good size swap meet.

I'm planning on attending that show anyway. I got a flyer for that show wile at a show in Randolph a couple of weeks back, so that works out well! Hope to see you there.

Guest BIGRIV

I'm very pleased to be a part of the ROA, you seem like a great group of guys with some real beautiful cars! I Thank you for the advice and hospitality!!:)