1925 touring

Guest Canadian1925touring

Hi all, just picked up a 1925 touring that was restored in late 60's and has sat since the owner passed...last weekend was spent cleaning off the grime...and she cleaned up pretty nice. Now I'll be looking for some help :). Wondering for starters what I have... as all ads online have wood spoked wheels and mine are steel discs? Because the company was sold in 1925 I'm trying to figure out if the steel wheels were after Dillon/read took over, or are they not original to the car? Also haven't dropped the top as it is very brittle, there are broken loops on the bow arms and I'm thinking that there must be some sort of support bracket when it's down. We took it off as a whole unit to wash it...treated it then put it back on. Will post some pics when I get a minute...just looking for someone with a touring that doesn't mind having their brain picked. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the discs were a popular factory option (starting before 25, I think). I think they look more elegant and remind me of fancier cars that used them at the time. It sounds like the car is complete. How about some photos?

Disc steel wheels were a popular option in Australia as our long hot dry summer weather caused hickory spokes to shrink and become loose I have seen many wood spoke wheels with packer washers between the end of the spoke and the fellow One way to cure this problem is during restoration carefully drill a 3/16" hole ineach spoke around 3.5 inches deep Into the hole put a mixture of Linseed Oil & kerosene the tap a dowel into the hole This way there is a resivior of oil to keep the spokes tight in the fellow

Does your car have cowl lights? If it does,then you probably have what is called a "Special". They are the deluxe models. There are 4 Types. A Touring Car, a Roadster, a Type-A Sedan, and a 4-passenger coupe. DB Specials came with 6 ply balloon tires, nickel trim radiator shell, front and rear bumpers in either black or nickel, special blue leather upholstery, special body striping, rear view mirror, automatic windshield wiper, scuff plates, cowl lights and steel disc wheels. At least that's what the American made DB specials had on them.

GG.

I was told the Fisher Coach came as both a standard and "Special" model. I am attaching a picture of a '25 Special Coach which is located at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. I'm sure my car was originally the standard model since it did not have disc wheels or cowl lights but it did have a vacuum windshield wiper.

post-34830-143138612543_thumb.jpg

Edited by FMF (see edit history)

Good one 1930 !!!!

Let's just say I had one but it was designed for a touring car --- had to be mounted inside the car. My car's vacuum motor mounts outside.

I sold it to someone for $25.00 which is what I paid for it!

I do have another vacuum motor but it needs a different wiper mounting shaft.

Like I said before, I haven't forgotten. I need the shaft to use as a pattern and the guys working on the wiper motor are not finished yet. Lots of other projects to deal with. Can't give it up until they're done with it.

GG.

DoubleG...yes it has cowl lights...rear mirror...bumpers..etc.

and a blanket bar or holy sh*t handle on the back of the front seat.

1930....yes has vac wiper but I haven't got it running yet :(

After some more searching I've found some listed as "Phaeton" touring which looks a lot like mine. There's a green one under google images.

Anybody know the difference between "sport" touring...regular touring and "Phaeton"?

Oh ya, and what tire pressure runs in the Dunman ribtipe 6.5-20 tires that are on it??? They're sitting at anywhere from 4lbs to 15lbs right now and I don't want to overinflate.

Thanks for all the info....keep it coming LOL.

Will push it out and take some more pics if it's not raining on the weekend.

dwollam- thanks, the 6.5-20's were on the car but they have no pressure markings

on the sidewall...boosted them all to 32 and see which ones leak :)

Some Pics posted in my profile.

So if I were to make a sign up for car shows...do I call it a 116 touring or 166 Special

because of the cowl lights and rearview mirror etc?

Yea....it lives !!!

Well sort of...got her to fire and cough...

but I'd be the same after 20+ years of sleeping.

After doing some research... it has a leather covered "cone" clutch !?!?!?!?!

This should be interesting LOL.

Glad to hear it started. It really does look good in red. Would you happen to know the name/code number for it? I'm trying to decide on what color to paint the body... Also, I'm trying to get some good photos and measurements of the top irons. Any chance you could do this? I've got another posting with a sketch showing the dims I need.

dwollam...thanks, you made my day :) My 28 buick has a multi disc and have rebuilt it...

I just came across the "leather wrapped cone" when searching for more info. and thought what the heck am i getting into.

Working on checking wheel bearings and brakes before trying to put the clutch under load...learned the hard way that brakes are a good thing to check BEFORE you put a car in gear LOL.

mikec5 aiming for time on the weekend to work on her a bit...was painted in the 60's so no idea what the code is for it...it's kind of more burgandy than red but with a flash the red pops out more...am hoping to get her out in the sun for some better photo ops and will take some pics and measurements for you of the bows.

Bow measurements from your diagram in your other post are the same as mine

posted a quick (not HD) video of the way the bows mount...let me know if you need anything more specific...

After seeing the pics in your other thread I now know I'm missing the "Irons" or big c-clamp type things on the back fenders :(

If anyone has a set laying around, or can duplicate their originals, please let me know $$$...don't need the bows etc. just the irons that hold the top when in the down position. Thanks.

The video was very good. Looks like the irons and bows are in nice shape. If you can, I would still like to get a few measurements per my sketch. The dimensions are rivet/pivot center-to-center (straight line) or rivet center to end of metal socket. I would also be interested in any ideas on reproducing the top down clamp brackets. I hear they're hard to come by.

Hey MikeC5 post the diagram on this thread with the dimentions you want measured and I'll try on the weekend.

Am trying to hunt down someone that has these to take detailed pics etc. as I have a friend that can build just about anything with a picture and dimentions ...all I've found so far is a few distant pics and something about 25's being 1/2" longer (or shorter) than others...

Am going to make the drive to where I got the cars to see if the irons might be in a box somewhere that I missed...here's hoping.

• 3 weeks later...

A-28

B-16

C-14

D-11

E-13

F-11

G-6.25

H-16.5

I-28.5

J-can't do j or k as the top material is wrapped around the bows

K-

from d-h is 12

end of hi to mid j is 8.25

from left of e to left of l is 19.

Hope this helps ..sorry it took longer than expected....work and travel get in the way.

Got a lead on a right side one....my buddy might be able to CAD a mirror image of it for the left side and then make a set :) Will let you know how it goes.