Strange Transmission Noise

MarkV

Well I had the 48 transmission rebuilt back in Dec. New clutch, most gears, etc. Anyway, it sounds great except when I have it in neutral or when I press all the way down on the clutch, when it makes a spinning gear style noise, near the transmission, like a noise from a lottery wheel. Anyway, it does not make the noise any other time and every time I take it to the guy who rebuilt it for me, he cannot seem to find the problem nor does it replicate itself. Could the new clutch need adjustment?

Do you know if he replaced the throw-out bearing? That is only under load when you have the clutch pedal down and the fork loads this bearing to hold the spinning clutch disk open against the spring pressure. If this bearing is bad, it will make noise under load when the clutch pedal is down. The rest of the time the throw-out bearing is sitting there doing nothing (not loaded/not spinning), so it would be quiet. One thought.

Guest frenchy dehoux

Throwout bearing is bad. Jack the back of the car to where the wheels are off the ground and put jack stands under and start the car and slowly depress the clutch and see what you hear.

Frenchy

Was this "noise" something that developed after the new clutch and throwout bearing were installed or was it there from the get-go? I suspect the throwout bearing is bad...perhaps the new bearing wasn't filled with lubricant when manufactured or is just plain defective? You should have at least an inch of free play in the pedal but this adjustment, even if too tight (no play) shouldn't cause the kind of noise you describe if the bearing is not defective or new.

Guest frenchy dehoux

I had a defective throw out bearing in my 32 Hot Rod Lincoln V12 and only drove it 30 miles before I had some nasty noises and replaced it. Also the pilot bearing could be dry need to make sure you have a seal type pilot bearing.

Frenchy

Edited by frenchy dehoux (see edit history)

• 1 month later...