Bugle Article - 57 Brakes

old-tank

The July 2011 Bugle article "Updating the Brakes on a 1957 Buick" is the worst I have ever seen!

It is incomplete and confusing: How does it work? How is it attached to rest of the system? How is it powered? (vacuum, air, electric) The part number does not show on a Google search (only 'Haldex' which makes brake parts for trucks).

The 'booster' is unnecessary by their own admission since there was no improvement until the linings were replaced (which would have fixed it in the first place).

It is erroneous: You never use the 'long' linings on all four wheels! There is a reason for short linings if you understand how the bendix system works. The short lining is installed to the front on each axle; since it is shorter and usually has a different friction material it will cause the assembly to rotate and apply more pressure to the longer rear shoe increasing braking effectiveness over and above what is obtained from just hydraulic pressure on the shoes.

"These cars won't stop properly utilizing new semi-metallic linings-they are just too heavy" Wrong! Semi-metallic has little to do with friction (mostly wear). It is the basic friction properties of the linings that determine how they perform. Some linings like Raybestos will give poor stopping performance like these guys experienced; NOS or NORS linings or specified linings from a brake/clutch rebuilder will give normal stopping performance. These cars will stop properly with a stock system.

If anyone knows Jesse Patton or is buddies Vern, Dave and Roger, point them to the forums where we could have saved them a lot of trouble and expense. And I wish there was a 'delete' button to hit for the Bugle article....

Willie

post-30648-143138607686_thumb.jpg

post-30648-143138607704_thumb.jpg

Willie

I, too, read it and was confused as to what system they were talking about.

As far as the condemnation of (Bendix) Buick brakes ..... I can only say

I've been doing brakes on 40's/50's Buicks (as a hobbyist) for many years and when the

systems are installed and serviced properly they are quite adequate.

The bit about installing all "long" linings is at best questionable and at worst, dangerous.

Having said all that;

If someone wishes to modernize or improve on brakes for their car, I support

them wholeheartedly; and I want to know more details on the results. But, the assertions, premise, and facts of that article should have been more highly "edited" by

the Bugle. I hope they address it properly.

mike

To me, the comment about metallic linings not working as "the cars are too heavy" is questionable at best. Generally, metallic linings are specified for more heavy-duty applications, which can include a way to make heavier vehicles stop with brake lining friction areas which work decently well for lighter vehicles with non-metallic linings. Metallic linings, even some of the newer semi-metallic linings, take heat to make them bite the best, which is why many drag racers pulled the metallic linings off of their new 1961 Impapa SS cars as they couldn't stage them properly, as they could with normal linings of that era.

I, too, am not against owners enhancing the capabilities of their stock vehicles (i.e., acceleration, stopping, turning, fuel economy, longevity), but this article seemed to leave me wondering what they did and how they did it.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Wow...you guys are spot on. I found it quite coincidental that the Bugle arrived in the mail the same day I was doing the front brakes on my 57. I thought..great, an article that might be of some value. Way disappointed...Willie, you are so right. After I read this I thought, what the heck were they doing and with what? No specifics and really didn't make to much sense, especially what I was thinking before I read the article. Either way, the service manual was the way to go for that brake job, not The Bugle!