Carter BB1-D updraft adjustment

yirgaman

Can some one give me an idea about the needle valve adjustment on this carb? It's on my '32 DL6 Dodge and I know it's an aftermarket unit, but it's running way too rich, I can smell the gas in the exhaust fumes going down the road. The needle valve was out 2 1/2 turns. I backed it down to 1 1/4. It seems to run better now, but do I turn it in more?

Larry

I'll give it a try tomorrow! Thanks! I don't know about the barking though - does that mean a roar or a backfire?. It was running good over the winter and earlier this year when I drove it around., The needle spring is not loose so I can't imagine the needle valve vibrating that much to loosen up over a whole turn.

Larry

A good trick for adjusting updrafts is to hook a vacuum gauge to the manifold where the wipers get their vacuum. Make sure to block off any other vacuum outlets or mechanical vacuum boosters. Make sure the choke is completely off. Run the engine at a fast idle and adjust the needle for maximum vacuum. That may be on the slightly lean side so if it backfires on the test drive, turn it about 1/4 turn richer.

Wow! hwellens nailed it! thanks to him and to straight8pontiac for asking his question. I printed this invuable attchment to use. The air cleaner I am using right now is just an aftermarket chrome thing from Auto Zone. I have the correct Dodge air cleaner for the original carb, but it doesn't line up with this BB1 carb so i'm not able to use it right now - it's big thing looks like a cigar box with a breather tube and a filter on top of that. My camera is not available or I'd get you a picture.

larry

yirgaman,

I have been looking for a picture of an air cleaner/filter which is used with a Carter BB1 updraft carb. Since you are using this carb, could you please post a photo of the air cleaner. Thank you-

Dave.

Here is the one I use on my BB1...

post-37352-143138604971_thumb.jpg

When I say bark I mean the engine responds right away. If it poohs out for a second then catches it is too lean. If it blubbers it is too rich. Black smoke out the tailpipe means, way too rich.

The vacuum gauge method is excellent. If you have a vacuum gauge and know how to use it you can get more out of this one gauge than any other piece of diagnostic equipment.