Sad loss of one of our fellow BCA members.

Centurion

As I was thinking today . . . which can be dangerous, sometimes . . . it struck me that, with respect to the 1954 Buick Landau MotoRama show car, that Mr. Barnette accomplished some very outstanding and "can't do that" things. First he found where the car was and then it appeared in Texarkana at the museum. Then, the beverage service kit "appeared" and was re-united with the car. Then, seems like there was something about the tire/wheel package that he orchestrated getting "more correct" for it, too. Some might consider these "random coincidences" which all seemed to happen at the same, general time. Or it, upon further pondering, have been "destiny", or that other term, "re-destined". Which ever way you might desire to look at it, it was amazing that he was able to orchestrate some of these things and rejoice in the additional things which happened, too.

The "Copper Top Affair" might be considered in similar terms, too. Closest thing to a favorite Buick of his childhood and family's history.

We in the Buick Family can also rejoice that Mr. Barnette made so many of us aware of the 1954 Buick Landau. Otherwise, it would have just been pictures on a page in a book, but he brought it to life, "in the flesh", so to speak. Although the 1954 Buick Landau might have had a storied existence before Mr. Barnette orchestrated its appearance in Texarkana, I feel that he might have helped things along in the car now having a new "custodian", due to his efforts to have others see and enjoy the car.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Barnette. Thanks for all that you've done for the vehicle hobby and everybody who has known or known of you in your life!

Regards,

Willis Bell 20811

What a wonderful place this Forum is :)

Even though many (including myself) had not met Charles, his participation here and contributions to this Forum made you felt like you knew him.

His posts here were always full of such passion and enthusiasm and will be sadly missed.

We have passed thru Texarkana several times but always said "maybe we will have more time the next trip to stop" it now appears there will not be a next time.

Last night we stayed in Texarkana on our way home from the Ohio BDE tour and remembered Charles with a toast.

This is one more reminder that we best do those thing now, as there may not be a later chance.

The Museum is just across the street from that four-story brick warehouse in the first photo in Roy's post, showing the '59 Buick. The warehouse is part of the historic Buhrmann-Pharr (hope I spelled that right) complex in Texarkana, Arkansas, circa 1910 I would guess. They were a regional wholesale hardware company which finally closed a few years ago, thanks to Home Depot and Lowe's. The office portion of the complex has been beautifully restored into urban loft apartments, yet the original architecture and wonderful Buhrmann-Pharr neon sign have been preserved on the building (can you tell I'm a former city planner?!). The only reason I mention this, is to point out that the museum is in a wonderful old, industrial/commercial neighborhood of Texarkana that needs all the encouragement it can get, to keep the area revitalized. The Buhrmann-Pharr complex and the Tex-Ark Museum are the two wonderful highlights of that older neighborhood. If I lived there, I would be tooting my horn for these two places every chance I could get.

Pete Phillips

Guest Roger Booth

Just got back from Charles Decker Barnette's service. Hundreds of people were there from all parts of his life. Pastor Craig Jenkins quoted comments from Facebook and the AACA forums that were left in memory of Decker. We had a tremendous turn out of antique automobiles for the trip from the church to the grave site. Deckers 4 brothers had words and encouragement for all. A great service indeed! Praise the lord and we will see you on the other side some day...

Guest DinoBob

I am familiar with his research into Cadillac Presidential Limousines. He created what was one of the most fascinating posts in the history of the CLC forum, on this subject. The hobby has lost a friend indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Roger Booth

Greetings,

Just thought I would say a word here. Decker Barnett's last cars are going to auction in Hot Springs Ar. in the next few days. The 1959 Buick is in the lot along with the 1961 Lincoln convertible..sad day for our club to see these cars leave.

Roger