Time Capsule Engine Start

Guest dstaton

Guest dstaton

I want to check in on the proper protocols for starting a 394 after storage for 35 years:

It turns freely with the big wrench.

I'm thinking:

1 rebuild the Rochester

2 drain and acetone the tank

3 replace fuel pump

4 replace line filter

5 check plugs for spark

But what should I do for the valve train?

The dipstick shows clean, transparent amber oil.

Should I oil the rings through the plug ports?

Do the valve seals need oiling at this point?

Should I add a "product" to the crankcase?

Any wisdom or experience would be much appreciated!

Doug

post-76074-143138560164_thumb.jpg

One of my recommendations would be to get rid of the rubber fuel line running from the filter to the carb, and install a proper metal line, OVER TOP of the radiator hose, as it should be. I can just see that old rubber line rupturing...

Next suggestion would be to find a proper wiring harness. What's there looks like a fire hazard.

Paul

Guest dstaton

Paul.

Thanks for your comments. You always wonder who and why and what when you see such accommodations...

Doug

One of my recommendations would be to get rid of the rubber fuel line running from the filter to the carb, and install a proper metal line, OVER TOP of the radiator hose, as it should be. I can just see that old rubber line rupturing...

Paul

And I can see that "old rubber fuel line" melting!

And I can see that "old rubber fuel line" melting!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

More like dissolving because of todays fuel........ change the hose from the frame rail to the pump and the hoses at the tank.

Guest dstaton

Will do.

NKVD has an underhood harness for olds 63-64 for $50. How well would that work for a 62 Starfire?

Will do.

NKVD has an underhood harness for olds 63-64 for $50. How well would that work for a 62 Starfire?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing that comes to mind is generator vs. alternator and different voltage regulators.

Guest dstaton

I imagine I could add a 100amp 1-wire and lose the voltage regulator. It would be good to have a new harness, to know what's what and have everything tidy.

I imagine there might be pulley journal issues and bracket fabrication involved... Have any of you replaced a generator with an alternator on a 394 with A/C?

Doug

Good point regarding generator vs. alternator, and the difference in voltage regulators with each.

Per the 1962 Oldsmobile Bulletin, dated 2/28/62, all full-size 1962 Oldsmobiles built from that day forward that had air conditioning as an option utilized the Delcotron alternator. The build date of the car can be gleaned from the Fisher Body Plate, in the upper left hand corner; there will be two numbers followed by a letter; e.g., "07A" means the car was built the first week (A) of July (07).

Months 9, 10, 11, and 12 would be for the previous calendar year.

Important to know given that there is lots of time in nearly 5 decades to do some sort of swapping of factory-issued hardware at any point in its history to having stuff installed aftermarket or from another vehicle.

Guest dstaton

Thank you STARFIREELVIS! I am getting the feeling that my Chevrolet experience is a different shade of groovy than Oldsmobile. I like that things with my new car are particular.

I really love the lines and styling, I love that it is loaded, and I love that it has a high compression 394. I love that it is rare.

The transmission is particular, so I will drive it like 1962 is happening. Grins

Why are you STARFIREELVIS? I love the Sun Sessions. Don't know what I'm a gonna do with Carl Perkins standing over there... Let's get real, real gone for a change...

That is the same magic I feel for the Starfire.

Figured out my handle once they made me change my eBay name from my e-mail address several years ago. I didn't want to bid against any of my friends if they needed something, or vice-versa if possible, so I had to come up with something so that they'd just KNOW it was me...

Yes, big fan of Elvis, first-generation rock 'n' roll, and Sun Records big-time. Been to 706 Union Ave., took the pictures, also over the years have met Sam Phillips, Scotty Moore, saw Jerry Lee Lewis in concert, and met Carl Perkins-- only five years later, after I first "met" him--I actually saw him in a hotel elevator, just him and me, and I said "nah, can't be him", only to find a blue Lincoln Continental out back the next morning with a Tennessee license plate that read "SUEDE"...Told him about it at an autograph session with Scotty, he had a laugh.

Maybe I need to go back and read more closely--what model of Olds do you have? I'm with you--every time I get into it, I'm in my own "time machine", so to speak...

Guest dstaton

1962 Starfire. The "Return to Sender" year.

I wonder what the last songs were played thought the wonderbar, in 1976?

There is much to do. I am still just looking at it and making plans, a flow chart of "cunning" sequences.

Is it best to make it run, brakes, motor, transmission, signals and then put out fires until it's dependable? Or is the first thing to take it all apart and fix structural elements and obvious deficiencies?

Doug

post-76074-143138562573_thumb.jpg

Based on your comments, I assume you now have the car in your possession?

What does it say on the extra tag on the driver’s door jamb?

Have you had the car on a lift, or at least been able to inspect the underside? The frames on ’61-2 Oldsmobiles are notorious for rusting out, especially on convertibles. This is not a particularly glamorous aspect of these cars, and it’s unfortunately one that’s often overlooked by first-time buyers. If the body and floors are rusty, be very suspicious of the frame. The first place to check is the take off of the wheel arches in front of the rear axle, followed by the rails that run underneath the doors.

If either of these areas is questionable, you’re looking at some serious structural compromise, as well as a safety issue, the severity of which may require the removal of the body from the frame.

All of your further plans for the car will hinge upon the condition of the frame. If you lack the ability to raise the car yourself, I recommend finding a local shop who could do it for you and provide you with an objective opinion of the car’s integrity.

Assuming the frame is solid, it would perhaps be possible to get the car running and fix things a bit at a time. My personal inclination would be to blow it apart and start over, but that’s a topic for another time. You MUST inspect the frame thoroughly before proceeding with anything else.

Chuck

Edited by Starfire61 (see edit history)

Doug, yes, figured out it was a '62, thanks for the confirmation. And yes, it is indeed the "Return To Sender" year, as well as other great songs, by Elvis and a lot of others, but gotta admit driving my car makes me feel like I'm "King Of The Whole Wide World"...!

...also, good advice from Chuck, hope you are "solid" in more ways than one with the frame. Any car I buy, whether classic or every day transportation, first thing you gotta see is underneath, and the frame.

In case I didn't pass it along earlier, congratulations and good luck with your new (old) ride.

Lots of guys here who are "into it", as you now know. THE brain trust of the Starfire world, IMHO...

Well, got the sunglasses, and usually wear black. Not much occasion for the suit and tie, though; unless we're talking banquets, which are usually in the heat of summer and wouldn't be too comfortable. Maybe for the AACA at Fall Hershey??

One thing for sure, good thing we're pretty nice guys. Those trunks are big enough for rub-outs, you know...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dstaton

The car is in my driveway. The frame is solid everywhere, what a relief!

The extra tag is from Hollinghead Oldsmobile in Chicago, apparently. It clearly has a "62" then blank for 3 spaces followed by a "5"

Where can I find the Fisher trim tag?

I definitely need some advice about the wiring harness. It looks like the previous owner was in the middle of an ad hoc replacement when he lost interest. I can read a wiring diagram, and feel like I could start over, run new wires and tape them tidily. It looks like there is a main foramen near the wiper motor center of the firewall. Should I go with a '63-'64 Starfire, or would I be better off with a '62 88 harness?

post-76074-143138580789_thumb.jpg

post-76074-143138580813_thumb.jpg

post-76074-143138580841_thumb.jpg

I would try to stay with a harness from a '62, but you'll have to make sure it matches whatever you have as far as an alternator or a generator. The a/c and heater harness are separate from the main harness. I thought I saw one of these on eBay recently, but that may have been a dash harness...

Paul

• 1 month later...
Here's a good example of a guy who got bit by a bad frame:

Oldsmobile : Eighty-Eight | eBay

Paul

the 'relisted' ebay auction sold this olds for $6300. not a bad deal for the new owner. hope they appreciate it and all the work involved. as far as starting up an engine after sitting for so long... would be good to build up the oil pressure if you can turn the oil pump... or at least crank it over without the sparkplugs to get the oil moved thru-out the engine. question about the acetone in the gas tank... will that disolve the gummed up gas well enough to be able to drive the car? (after draining the tank)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)