dirty windows

Guest 37pac

Guest 37pac

whats the story behind the double pane windows and can they be taken apart and cleaned there is a nasty looking film that seems to have melted between them.

If you are referring to the plastic middle layer of safety glass, there is no remedy I am aware of other than having new glass cut to replace it. The old safety glass was prone to de-laminating and discoloring after long term exposure to the sun.

I believe you are talking about the safety lamination. A film between which adheres to the inner and outer glass to keep it from shattering when broken. No, it can't be taken apart and cleaned. Typically it starts at the edges with turning a shade of brown and possibly some bubble like areas. If flat glass, most any decent glass shop should be able to use your old for a pattern and cut new ones.

Guest 37pac

thanks for the reply , looks like i will have to replace them,you would think that packard would have them on warrenty or recall.

thanks for the reply , looks like i will have to replace them,you would think that packard would have them on warrenty or recall.

You'd think there would be a recall program wouldn't you! After all, it's only been 75 years.

If you have one of the older established automobile glass shops locally, that would be the place I'd look first. If not, there are some online places that deal with glass and advertise they can fit most anything. Not too sure todays chain glue in a new windshield replacement shops would have the tools, expertise or interest to do the job properly.

Packard's dealer network has really gone downhill. There isn't one anywhere near me. I guess I would have to drive clear to Chicago. Who wants to do that!

If you have a local glass shop make new ones from your old patterns, make sure they nicely round and smooth the top edge as original. The closer they can get to original, the easier putting them back in will be, especially when it comes to the windshield. You will find that when you do this, you will most likely be replacing the channel that the glass runs in and probably the rubber around the windshield and back window too. This is a fairly big job. Have fun!

Dave

packard12s@hotmail.com

Guest 37pac

thanks dave , do you know of anyone that has ordered the complete window kits, from any of the companies that advertise on the internet,that looks like the easiest way to go but unsure about the quality and fit if i go that route. by the way my packard came from elgin ill in your neck of the woods, but cant find them in yellow pages, the dealership must have an unlisted number.

Dave Mitchell writes: "Packard's dealer network has really gone downhill. There isn't one anywhere near me."

I think it's now called Hewlett-Packard instead.

Dave Mitchell writes: "Packard's dealer network has really gone downhill. There isn't one anywhere near me."

I think it's now called Hewlett-Packard instead.

Funny, now that they sell Hewletts too (must be one of those foreign cars) they don't seem to even know what a 1208 or 1608 is. I guess they just have parts for postwar Packards. Sigh. I ordered a batch of stuff from them and got a big box of really expensive printer ink... I thought the guy I talked to had a funny accent - sounded like he was from India or something, but said his name was Alex.

thanks dave , do you know of anyone that has ordered the complete window kits, from any of the companies that advertise on the internet,that looks like the easiest way to go but unsure about the quality and fit if i go that route. by the way my packard came from elgin ill in your neck of the woods, but cant find them in yellow pages, the dealership must have an unlisted number.

I will have to look up where the dealer was in Elgin. Probably moved.

I doubt that you will find anyone who has a kit for a Super 8. Maybe, but I will be surprised. There are just too few cars out there. I talked to a place in Washington state a few years ago, and they claimed they had all the patterns etc, but when it came right down to it, they couldn't make them. A really good local glass shop that can cut and polish flat glass will be your best bet. Besides, shipping that much glass will get expensive. We have a special tool to take the glass out of vent windows and a good glass shop should be able to do that for you too. You will want to replace the setting tape that holds it in the window riser bracket too. Some are special with a seal to the door, but I don't think 37 has that.

Guest bkazmer

The glass is called laminated or "lammy" glass, the original safety type glass. Very few modern cars use it for anything but the windshield. They use tempered single pane glass for the sides. Either will work - it's easier for them to cut laminated, I believe. I don't thing there is a judging penalty for type used - can anyone confirm?

Guest 37pac

thanks everyone for the input, i got a quote from vintage glass in ct for 595$ plus 60$shipping ,they said they have the pattern and can make all 10 windows,but i will have to get the seals elsewere. still cant find that packard dealership in elgin!!!!

I will have to look up where the dealer was in Elgin. Probably moved.

I doubt that you will find anyone who has a kit for a Super 8. Maybe, but I will be surprised. There are just too few cars out there. I talked to a place in Washington state a few years ago, and they claimed they had all the patterns etc, but when it came right down to it, they couldn't make them. A really good local glass shop that can cut and polish flat glass will be your best bet. Besides, shipping that much glass will get expensive. We have a special tool to take the glass out of vent windows and a good glass shop should be able to do that for you too. You will want to replace the setting tape that holds it in the window riser bracket too. Some are special with a seal to the door, but I don't think 37 has that.

Make sure you get safety glass.