Proper Plating for 1957 Buick Engine Bay Fender Bolts

buick man

No Meth Lab worries here or smells, since there is no ammonia being used in this entire process so you don't have to worry about anything bad stuff like that.

BTW: So if you have to use the kitchen glass ware ( and that's completely understandable ) to hold all these mix ratio components, at least try to keep your beverage glass full of Sprite away from the work area.

David

I really appreciate your help and words of wisdom on these forums, but I hope no one even considers using these highly toxic chemicals. That is the main reason professional platers will not do it. I don't even know if you can buy these chemicals, but if you could where are you going to dispose of them. We don't need any more mysterious fish kills. Years ago I treated a couple of beautiful 110 pound German Shepard dogs that got into the owners metal plating chemicals --- one died, and the other made it after many hours on oxygen. There is no real antidote after it starts affecting the body. The effect is that it inhibits the utilization of oxygen by the cells. You or an animal can still breathe, but it does no good --- a very nasty and agonizing death.

Willie

Thanks Old Tank for your input. I did not write this article just copied it as you no doubt are aware of. Just kicking it around for kicks. This is from a 1957 article. It also shows just how far we have come since then in awareness of things in general. But I believe our readers are all adult boy scouts and can handle the truth.

Since I have a degree in chemistry I think it serves a good purpose here by enabling everyone thinking about getting a part truely silver cad plated, to know the exact process and what is involved. Also, there are a lot of platers out there using replacement acids only with no cyanides or silver whatsoever and still calling it silver cadmium plating. So beware.

As far as disposal of the used admixtures, it was apparently OK by the author to just to dump them into the sink when done, making sure to use copious amounts of water to chase them down. I would think he would of recommended at least diluting them in step dilution batches before eventually dumping the lot down the sink drain.

Ah, But then again, that was back in 1957 when it was truly the good ol days. No doggy poop scoops, needless divided medians in parking lots and you could buy 5 big candy bars for 25 cents. Remarkable. :)

I am in the profession of municipal water treatment, both drinking water and sewage.

Always think of your sink drains and your toilet as a direct pipe to your water supply, in essence that is what is happening. We all live downstream from someone and we all have to be careful of what we pour down our drains. Back in the fifties (and sometimes unfortunately now) some think the solution to pollution is dilution...we know better now.

When I give tours to school kids I always say "If it doesn't go in your mouth it shouldn't go in your toilet"

There is a reason that we have moved away from cyanide's in plating, there is a cost for that "old" look...a cost I personally don't think is worth the reward.

I'm not preaching here although it must sound like it...I'm just speaking my mind on the subject, one I am directly involved with and one I am passionate about.

All good points guys. Yes sir I am with you guys there. By all means these chemicals by their innate concentrations and reactive makeups are toxic, as much as all chemicals are toxic by the degree of their perspective compositions and reactive makeup.

So OK by all means don't dump stuff down drains and toilets if it has NOT first come out of you directly.

And with that said, we could entertain a discussion of the virtues or non virtues of silver cad plating in being environmentally or politically correct, and I believe it would make for an very interesting post based on it's own merit, however I also believe this is not exactly the stage for that. Also, if I am not mistaken, these covalent and single base solutions can be made non reactive and inert once again if properly dealt with, controlled and properly recycled.

So it appears that silver cad plating is the only single correct way to refurbish these bolts like it or not, back to exact OEM standards under our hoods and this is what it actually takes to silver cad plate those bolts. But don't try this at home ! ( Which I think everyone kinda gets already ) So let the professionals do the work.

BTW: I believe I've found a good source in southern california which does this correct silver cad plating and does it by the pound as well. They do a lot of this plating for our U.S. military industrial complex.

Nice work David! Definitely up there with some pretty high level college chem courses for sure. I agree with you, let the trained professionals do that work, they have the facilities and means of compliance with the regulations and disposal. Not to say some of the stuff that I read from Caswell plating isn't interesting for the home hobbyist, and probably less expensive, perhaps (not sure about the cost per pound of silver cad plating).

It is interesting to have such a deep dive on a subject that basically started out are the bolts black or silver under the hood.

Well I completely enjoy exploring a subject and it's topic including it's history and how it is accurately done, since this is what collecting is all about. Knowledge of the past, Mastery of the present, Preservation for the future.

"However, and I mean no malice to anyone, but with that said, but what I also do not enjoy increasingly on a lot of these posts, are those whom just cannot stay lying down; but for one reason or another, are compelled and must be the self resurrected, self appointed hallway monitors, ever present and ever so vigilant with the bible for dummies in one hand and a spray bottle of iced holy water in the other just for good measure. So if, and god should help us, a post topic is to deviate even just a little from the annointed scriptures, they are there to save us all. - Now you guys know down deep just who you are so please, try and take a vacation from time to time and let the rest of us delve into and indulge into our perspective topics. But please do not take heed my good brothers, for if for whatever reason you should not like the tone or avenue a post is taking, there has been a back button provided on your browser screen so you can go to another post or you can just go and start a post of your own. Now isn't that nice? But please, in the future just allow us to enjoy and explore ours. "

This now concludes our lesson in Civil Democracy for today. - Thank you all for attending and don't forget to leave your donations at the door!

No my son but if you think you are then you must already be there. But take comfort in the fact that although the path to recovery is a long one, the first step to take is that of admitting you have a problem and then the next step is doing something about it. Take care for we are here to help you along the way.

Be strong.