WWII Ration Tires Found?

Guest jcv

Hi

I came across some old tires with white dots on the edges in the woods near my cottage, near a 31 Buick parts car. All i know is that these have the white dots to signify they are rationed tires.

Are they valuable? Rare?

Anybody have any info for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

During WWII a synthetic rubber was used for some passenger tires, (and the results weren't all that good). I have no recollection of white dots, but I guess they could have denoted the wartime material. During the war, there may not have been a very wide variety of sizes being produced for domestic consumption, 16" being the most prevalent size in use then. (That's why you saw so many Model A's running around with 16" 35 Ford wire wheels). Finding tires of a large size for a '31 Buick could have been iffy.

Thanks for the information. I will post a picture as well. I have been going off my memory of what they look like, when i found them last week, so they may have actually have red dots, not white

Stay tuned for the pictures. Ill try to get some tonight.

Thanks again

Edited by jcv (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

WWII tires made with the new synthic rubber have S3 on the sidewall. They were usually of poor quality and blow outs were pretty common. Any WWII era tire now nearing 70 years old would not be safe for anything other than a static display.

Thanks Bob. Ill check to see if the tires have the "S3"

Are these tires worth anything in your opinion? Or are they simply destined for the dump.

Thanks Bob. Ill check to see if the tires have the "S3"

Are these tires worth anything in your opinion? Or are they simply destined for the dump.

I would think that it would depend on the condition they are in and if you can establish for sure what they are. Until you do that they are just old tires.

Say, while we're on the subject, I have an ancient pair of 475-500 x 19 Wards Riverside knobby tires. They are bald in the middle, but otherwise remarkably good. They would be cool on a hillbilly Model A parade car, or possibly for static display on an unrestored '30's dirt track race car. Any interest? pm me.

Guest De Soto Frank
Say, while we're on the subject, I have an ancient pair of 475-500 x 19 Wards Riverside knobby tires. They are bald in the middle, but otherwise remarkably good. They would be cool on a hillbilly Model A parade car, or possibly for static display on an unrestored '30's dirt track race car. Any interest? pm me.

Dang. If they were 21's I'd be interested....

Would you mind posting some pics, just for visual reference ?

Thanks !

:cool:

The tires themselves were not rationed. The RIGHT to buy tires was rationed and the ration sticker you were assigned determined how many and how often you could purchase tires so I doubt there were ration specific tires but I certainly could be wrong. Likely WWII tires wern't of very good quality in any case.

While going thru stuff earlier this year that my dad saved, I found a book of WW2 ration coupons issued in my name. Pretty cool since I was only about a week old at the time. Don't remember if was able to get tires, or anything else for that matter!

John

While going thru stuff earlier this year that my dad saved, I found a book of WW2 ration coupons issued in my name. Pretty cool since I was only about a week old at the time. Don't remember if was able to get tires, or anything else for that matter!

John

May have been for extra food for a nursing mother, or perhaps for emergencies as evidently he never used them.