older black canvas roadster top

AlfaTazio

Fellas,

I have just received my 1928 Chevy Roadster from sunny California, and while the black canvas top has some years on it, I was wondering if anyone had any success in freshening up the black color, short of replacing the entire top.

Thanks,

Jay

Not so sure on how to do that Jay - perhaps experimenting with a little dye? Mainly just wanted to welcome you to the sight and congratulate you on your new acquisition - you are in CA so maybe the best bet is to lower the top and enjoy!

Good luck with it!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the two tips, I might try them both on the interior of the top first.

r

Steve, thanks for the welcome. I haven't always had one, sort of . I am a VCCA member, and once posted a question to that forum, whereas a rather prominent member blasted me and accused me of not being a member....Lord.

Oh, my address is Berkeley County, WV., its the Eastern Panhandle just south of Hagerstown, Maryland.

This is the car : Google Image Result for http://www.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Chevrolet/1928_Chevrolet_National_Roadster.jpg

Was once owned by Herb Sinnofer, of San Diego, CA, then by Gene Ford, of Frontier Chevy, Fresno, CA, and now its me.

Ciao,

Jay

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread a few weeks ago, I thought about freshening my top. The top is old and faded badly, but I just don't want to go to the extent of replacing the top, so I thought, "What have I got to lose?" I went to the web site for Simply Spray Fabric Paint and read the FAQ's. I called the help desk and asked a lot of questions. I decided to try it and painted the top today. I can't say enough about this product. Six cans for $59.00 or there abouts, plus shipping. I removed the complete top with the irons and set them up in my garage and painted away.... The paint is very thin and does not spray like regular spray paint, but the coverage is good. Some places needed two coats where the fading was real bad. The top is 8 feet long and 6 feet wide and six cans were enough to do the complete top and both sides of the rear curtain. One can did not spray at all, so I'll test the guarantee that they will replace any can that does not spray. All in all, I'm very pleased. Any comments??? photos are before and after...

Frank

post-30765-143138586117_thumb.jpg

post-30765-143138586124_thumb.jpg

post-30765-143138586138_thumb.jpg