62 Vette brake question

caddyshack

I recently went to get the vette out of storage and the brakes felt like they were almost non existant. What little I had, soon disappeared. The resevoir on the master cylinder was almost bone dry. I filled it to the top and thought that this might fix the problem, but no. My question is do I need to drain the entire system, fill with new brake fluid, and bleed each brake? I am tempted to bring it in to a brake repair shop. Age is catching up to me.

Thanks for any advice. Skip in MN.

Guest Albert

is the master went dry, you have a leak some place, check all the wheels and the lines first,, may have to fill the master and pump the brakes to find where it went

Try filling the master cylinder and gently pumping the brakes for a few minutes. Barely depress the pedal. The idea is to work the air out of the master cylinder.

If this does not work you may have to bleed the whole system.

And, as Albert said you should inspect the system for leaks. But in some cases the fluid seeps out very slowly in storage and once you put the system back in service it is fine. It depends on the condition of the cylinders. If you have not done a brake job in say 5 years or more it may pay you to put kits in the cylinders.

Thanks for the responses. I will give it a try today. I did a rough inspection yesterday, and there were no noticable leaks on the wheels or frame. The car sat for three years, and that was not a good move on my part.

May I suggest an old farm remedy first?

Fill the master cylinder, then leave the car alone for a week, as long as you are in no hurry. I have seen brakes self bleed from gravity many times, depending on the vehicle.

This does not fix the problem, but will enable you to do more research on the source of the leak.

Wayne

Wayne, good advice. Filled the master cyl. and did another visual at all the wheels. I left the cover off the master cyl. and gently tapped all the stainless steel brake lines. Bubbles were definately coming to the surface. Today I added more fluid and I have about 75 % of my brake action back. Once its safe to drive I will have a complete professional rebuild.

Thanks again.

Juice brakes do not like to sit. The seals at the wheel cylinders are not held under pressure and will relax. This coupled with temp changes found throughout the day will allow fluid to move past the seal/ piston and back in again. This allows moisture access to the fluid.

The end result is one or more wheel cylinders not fully working. You really need to take each drum off and check operation and leakage. Odds are one or more wheels are contaminated with fluid since you have a loss.

The plan to add some fluid and see what happens is quite risky. You have critical safety problem that needs much further examination. Take the brakes apart and make sure they are safe. Odds are you need wheel cylinders and shoes.

When putting new shoes on you really want to have the shoes arched to fit the drums. Most people do not drive the cars enough to fully wear the shoes into the drums. This will give you full braking action from day one.

The scary thing is the number guys driving their cars knowing that their brakes are not working properly. I made the mistake of asking all the guys at a car show and found about half were like to or have less then 4 wheel brakes.

You guys and your farm fixes scare me and give antique car people a bad name. The brake system is a sealed system, brake fluid does NOT evaporate. If the master cylinder is empty it LEAKED out somewhere. If there are no external leaks take your brake drums off, you will find at least one of the wheel cylinders is leaking. Why drive a car you know has a brake problem?

You guys and your farm fixes scare me and give antique car people a bad name. The brake system is a sealed system, brake fluid does NOT evaporate. If the master cylinder is empty it LEAKED out somewhere. If there are no external leaks take your brake drums off, you will find at least one of the wheel cylinders is leaking. Why drive a car you know has a brake problem?

X2!!!

Do not risk your life and a beautiful classic this way.

Guest 4stardave

if the master is empty or low you have a leak some were in the system. look under car at back side of backing plats an back of master to start then follow al brake lines to all points. brake fluid does not evaporate

4stardave thanks. I pulled all four wheels and inspected all areas for leakage and nothing was wet. I did find a terminal block on the frame near the rear axel that was wet and running down the frame. Not a major leak, and nothing was on the floor, like a pool of brake fluid. The brass nut was loose and it tightened up almost a half turn. Will find out next week when they go over the whole system.

Skip in MN.

Guest 4stardave

did you look in the in side of car were brake rod goes through fire wall carpet will soke up fluid manual brake only