Camaro stolen in NJ in 1975 recovered in CA.

Shop Rat

Guest Kingoftheroad

WOW, what a story. That kinda news would've knocked me off my feet if I got a call 30 some years later saying they found my long gone stolen '69 Camaro..

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad
Great story, but isn't there an inconsistancy here??? The story says that the car's original 6 cylinder was replaced..... Didn't all SS Camaros have a V-8 in them???

I don't believe it was a real SS. The vid said the car was pieced together with a variety of parts. I think the original owner bought it yellow 6 cyl, plain Jane.

I thought there was a statute of limitations for prosecution? If the original owner was paid off by the insurance company wouldn’t they be the legal owners? Somehow I think this is a "collector" that got burned on a way overpriced fake SS and wanted to get his money back, noted by the fact he was not interested in getting the car back.

CAUTION: there are a lot more fake mass production cars out there they are just too easy to build, and right now there is way too much money to be made.

there is NO statute of limitations on stolen cars.

IF the insurance company paid off on it, it would have been returned to the insurance company.

Our neighbor just went through the same thing a couple of years ago.

He was reimbursed through his insurance company when the police impounded it after trying to register it here in AZ. It was the longest time period between theft and return to date according the the local police.

Story is here:

After 39 years, Tenn. man reunites with stolen Corvette in Scottsdale

The person it was stolen from di not have it insured.

He reported the theft.

The car ended up "found" in the Chicago area within a couple of years.

They "attempted" to contact the owner but for some reason couldn't.

After a period of time the Sheriff's office sold it at auction.

It went to NJ (don't ALL stolen cars go to NJ???) ;)

It bounced around then ended up in California.

The person that bought it in CA had it for ~ 30+ years

It was registered every year in CA.

The owner consigned it to a dealer and our neighbor bought it from that dealer.

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

I had a 1966 DeVille rag top stolen. It was gone for 11 1/2 months when it was found 40 miles away at a body shop. It had a current title AND my title. (I'll get back to that)

It was stolen, sold to his friend who was aware it was stolen. He sold it to another who was also aware, but then sold to a guy represented as a lost title. He paid for a title search and applied to the state of Colorado for a new one. They issued him a title to my car that was on the hot list for almost a year.

It was found when a bored state patrol officer was looking at the hot list and up pops my Caddy with 2 different titles and listed as stolen. He confiscated the car from the body shop and called me. The last guy lost all the money he put into the car to get it running and road-worthy. He tried to sue me but of course lost. It was MY car and anything done to it was part of MY car. Nobody did any time for it, they last victim lost his money and as far as I know, he didn't sue the guy he bought it from or the state.

It was not insured so I retained ownership and yes I can confirm there is no statute of limitations. The car remains the property of the owner in perpetuity. (that being the insurance co. if they paid a claim on it making them the owner)

After let's just call it a labor dispute , my car was stolen from it's usual parking space at work . It was stripped and recovered in a less than desirable suburb of Boston .

My plain Jane '64 Lemans sleeper was forced into service . It was a former Southern rum runner with many performance and suspension updates not obvious to the casual eye . It too was stolen and my search of every junkyard and service station went on for a year . Along came a MA State Trooper who spotted my car with no inspection sticker and ran the numbers . It had been 18 months and I had given up .

Well , it turns out that it had been stripped of every ID including plates , inspection sticker and one VIN plate . There was another somewhere .

It only had been driven 150 miles after remaining unnoticed in a " bad " neighborhood and in spite of a few dents it was almost as good as before .

That was one very good day !

Edited by ozziewynot (see edit history)

There wasn't a huge amount of time involved, but this happened to my family. Our '65 Coronet was stolen in 1969 and repainted into a 'gypsy cab' (quasi-legal for-hire cars in NYC), complete with a '64 Plymouth VIN. It was registered to a vacant lot in Brooklyn. My father spotted it on the street one morning about 2 months after it was stolen, grabbed me to verify that it was our car, and got the police. The NYPD wasn't too anxious to give the car back to us because if they auctioned it off the proceeds went to the (ahem) police pension fund. My mother (who was a civilian employee of the NYPD at the time) spoke to the head of the Auto Squad and made it clear that the media would have a field day with the story and she wouldn't hesitate to call them. The car was released to us within an hour.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I've always operated under the premise that if my car gets stolen, I don't want it back, especially if it gets wrecked.

Would you want your car back after its been stolen and maybe wrecked ?

I've always operated under the premise that if my car gets stolen, I don't want it back, especially if it gets wrecked.

Would you want your car back after its been stolen and maybe wrecked ?

If it's in good shape, why not take it back? Our Dodge was stolen two more times (for a total of three), and was recovered with no damage. My '70 LeMans got stolen and the only damage was a popped ignition lock cylinder. So a few more drivers drove it...no big deal unless the engine was blown up.

Guest Kingoftheroad
If it's in good shape, why not take it back? Our Dodge was stolen two more times (for a total of three), and was recovered with no damage. My '70 LeMans got stolen and the only damage was a popped ignition lock cylinder. So a few more drivers drove it...no big deal unless the engine was blown up.

I suppose your right, IF its in good shape..