Removing rusty plugs??

Dauphinee

The plugs in my flat head 8 are extremely rusty.

What is the best way to remove them and replace them?

Do I have to remove the head?

Fear is that I don't get all the rust with a vacuum and it falls onto the piston.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should not have to remove the head unless the plugs have broken off. A vacuum is good, An air compressor and blow gun works well also. I usually get the recesses clean, and then lossen the plugs a little and blow them off with a blow gun before taking them out all the way to get as much dirt as I possibly can leaving it 99.9% clean. Dandy Dave!

Guest WEB 38

Wire brush them, than vacuum, than spray with penatrating oil let sit overnight then wipe them with a soft cloth, and have some one vacuum while you are removing them. Bill

Wire brush them, than vacuum, than spray with penatrating oil let sit overnight then wipe them with a soft cloth, and have some one vacuum while you are removing them. Bill

I agree with this procedure. Another good thing to try is to use Vise-grips and try to tighten the plugs slightly prior to trying to remove them.

Just clean away the dirt and remove with a spark plug wrench. Penetrating oil will not penetrate or do any good.

If the car will start it may help to warm up the motor, heat helps free up stuck threads. But usually they come right out.

If a plug breaks off it is not the end of the world. You need to get an "easy out". I don't like the brand that resembles a screw thread. I like the square kind. Heat the remaining part of the plug red with a torch, tap in the easy out, and it will come right out. Do not drive the easy out in too hard and expand the metal. One or 2 light taps is fine.

Occasionally I break off a plug but none has ever resisted the heat and easy out treatment.

I have found some Champion plugs and some Autolite plugs.

Are these ok plugs to put into the car??

I would not mix makes of plugs, but either brand will work.

Dauphinee, once out, don't discard without examining them, you can learn a lot about your engine from the condition of the plugs - you want a grey uniform finish. Wet plugs, carbon, or burnt appearrences are all things you want to look for as well as variances from the correct gap that you will find in owner's manual, shop manual or online. Not sure if you are familliar with what these conditions mean but based on your questions I thought I would put that out there. If you are unsure keep them in order (so you know what cylinder they came out of) and share with a more knowledgeable friend.

Also, I would retain the old plugs - most times a good cleaning and you have a spare set on hand.

I happen to run Champions in my car, I have heard that they are manufactured in Mexico now and there are quality concerns but that has not been my experience with them - no problems.

Lastly - these guys have the plug instructions pretty well covered but I will also add they often look much worse than reality - the finishes rust up pretty quickly, but the threads are probably fine. Agree totally with the approach of warming up the engine that will do the trick for any stubborn plugs.

Good luck on getting the mechanicals sorted on your new car!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added line (see edit history)

Guest A1915dodge

I hit em with a wire wheel the blow them off and marvel mystery oil! I had a frozen piston on my motorcycle and I filled the cylinder with it and let it soak for a week the engine came free and the rings as well that stuff works miracales.