No Power and Running rough

b6vt

I fired up my 48 LC today and thought I would drive it to show a neighbor friend of mine. I thought I would not be able to pull away from the driveway. The engine is running rough. I have overhauled the carb, Sent the distributer to have set and overhauled. It has a new fuel pump. I cleaned and reset the spark plug gaps. The only thing left is to replace the spark plug wires. Give me your thoughts, anyone. Thanks Glenn Lorei b6vt

Before you start taking things apart check to make sure you have spark at all the plugs. If you can keep the engine running while you do this ( shorting out the spark plug with a screw driver) you can also check for "dead" cylinders along with spark. No spark at spark plug(s) could mean a couple things. If the "no spark" condition is confined to one bank then look for problems with a condenser, point sticking or perhaps the spring connector from the coil has slipped out of it's cup above the points. Don't laugh, this happened to me resulting in a 6 cylinder V12. If the "no spark" is randon on both banks then look at the wires and most especially if they are pushed all the way (bottomed) in the terminal plates. If you have spark at all the plugs then you may have to revisit the carburetor and fuel system. You can usually hear bad, shorting sparl plug wires and even see them arc in a darkened area.

The carburetor is pretty straight forward but you might have missed something when you overhauled it?

Make sure the flexible fuel hose is not kinked, restricting flow or "porous" allowing air to be drawn in. You might remove the carburetor air horn and check to see you have a full bowl full of gas in the carburetor.

If this engine has sat dormant for a long period you can also have sticking valves which will show up as "dead" cylinders and you can check with a compression gage to confirm. good luck

Glenn:

This happens to me with disgusting regularity. Usually the problem is only one set of points is functioning properly. If you can measure voltage at the points with engine running, (watch our for fan) the problem can be isolated. Voltage should be about 3 volts on each set of points for stock ignition. If one is zero, or 6 volts, something is not right. Each set fires 3 cylinders on each bank so it can be confusing which set is the problem.

If the ignition is up to par, try carburetor internal leaks. Leaky power valve would cause the symptoms. Does it run better when choked? Last year's gas could be a possible worry also. I've had to blow out line to the gas tank before it flows properly.

Abe

Guest B1rdman

well i am going to try and fix my 47 and get away from all the problems of old coils etc.

tonight i drove up and ate fish. was in there awhile,

came out fired right up. then to store, in and out. will not start.

another problem is surging on highway.

i drive my cars more than most, and i am sick of it,

tommorow my 1947 gets two brand new 6 volt modern coils,

any one else convered to new coils ????

gene

PLEASE DONT "RIG IT" ...JUST PUT NEW COILS IN ORIGINAL HOUSING..IT IS A NO BRAINER..THE COBBLED ELIMINATION IS OK I GUESS IF NO OTHER OPTION IS AVAILABLE...BUT..THIS GUY IS THE BEST..HOT STRONG BLUE SPARK ..GOOD WARRANTY..NICE TO DEAL WITH... I HAVE HAD SEVERAL DONE BY HIM WITH 100% SUCCESS...ASK HIM ABOUT WATERPUMPS AS WELL.....

I got an adapter plate from Richman industries. Should be a link somewhere on this forum. Seems to work pretty good, allows me to run two MSD ignition systems, MSD Blaster coils, and Pertronic 7mm plug wires. Had to re-gap plugs for 50 thousandth. However, I still had problems when I left one ground off. But the points should now last nearly forever as they carry very little current.

Abe

Guest B1rdman

well here is a two pictures showing what i did.

seems to run ok. makes my old engine compartment look bad.

but any way it will work

gene

post-61700-143138522594_thumb.jpg

post-61700-143138522597_thumb.jpg

Guest notnow

Abelincoln,I can't seem to locate Richmond Industries in regards to a Distributor Adapter Plate ..Do You have an Address For Richmond ??

Richman Industries is Gerry Richman, 19 Quaker Brook Dr., Assonet, Ma 02702-1109. Phone (6-8 PM EST) 1-508-644-5825. He does terminal plate renewals. Check LZOC classifieds under "Remanufactured Distributor Parts" on back page. Offers Coil Conversion Plates for $150 w/instructions.

Yesterday, I tore into the ignition system. I took the spark plug wire loom off the engine and removed the distributor. I found one of the spring loaded carbon connectors that connects with one of the rotor bands at the bottom of the distributor. That engine was running with only half of the distrbutor working--no wonder there was no power. I went to a generator, alternator, starter repair shop to see if he had anything that was near what I needed and wonder of wonders there it was in one of his dust covered parts bins..best yet he was happy to give it to me!!!, No charge. I thanked him profusely and I will install it tonight.

Another find---I went to an auto parts place O'Reilly's. Here in KC. These parts stores are easy to find in the midwest. I purchased new spark plug wires, one six cylinder set for a )Toyota 72-76 L6 and a set for a 74-76 Dodge v8 The make on the wire set is OMNI/Spark and best yet---the price for both sets was $34.00. (another better yet-- -they were made in the good old USA) Glenn lorei b6vt:)

Edited by b6vt
incorrect information (see edit history)

Just finished working on a 48 Continental When the owner brought it to me it would barley run and wouldnt start when hot. Replaced points ,condensers, caps,wires and new plugs . When I strobed the distributor with the new points the points started to bounce around 1000 rpm. These points were bought new from one of the vendors but they are junk,the springs are really weak. Replaced the half of the points from a set of V8 Ford points. Now it runs perfect and cranks very easy when hot.