wildcat II

Guest 54fins

Guest 54fins

well, I don't want to ruin a surprise but there is a fellow building a Wildcat II. Iunderstand there is only 1, but he was able to make molds off it

Now that's cool!:cool:

post-74392-143138505852_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143138505889_thumb.jpg

post-74392-14313850593_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143138506205_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 54fins

I will! I suspect it won't make Boston this year. He has to make a custom intake, as the corvette sized body doesn't have room for the carb on top. The craftsmanship on this is top notch. I would have just stuck with the stock vett body and added the Wildcat touches. He changed the wheelbase to match the wildcat and had to completely rework all the geometry. I would have stuck with the vette windshield, he had to have a custom windshield made to fit. Virtually everything is custom fabricated, so isn't your typical restoration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest David_Temple
well, I don't want to ruin a surprise but there is a fellow building a Wildcat II. Iunderstand there is only 1, but he was able to make molds off it

Now that's cool!:cool:

Is there any update on the progress of the 1954 Buick Wildcat II replica?

ABSOLUTELY! it is now a powder coated frame and a lot of parts. It's going to the nationals, finished or not. Buick leases the original one and it got a better offer, so it is not going to the nationals. I think that is a mistake, but what do I know. Why not have Peyton Manning driving it in a Buick commercial? imagine the publicity. This is the ultimate Buick, assuming your into Buicks. Every piece is custom made. I don't want to speak for the owner but I suspect he will have it done. But there are a few differences. It's a 425 nailhead- not a 322. It has fuel injection, and upgraded suspension and steering. A bit odd I thought, as he painstakingly replicated everything else. The windshield has the steeper rake, the wheelbase and track width were matched to the original. Every trim piece was custom machined. I suspect that not being the original, he didn't feel obligated to use a 54 drive train as long as it was a nailhead. It will be every bit as good as the original- and then some.

post-74392-143141751235_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141751275_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141752396_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141752424_thumb.jpg

Edited by 54fins (see edit history)

hmm, It's a retired gentleman with a long GM history and he is quite talented at machine work. He doesn't have an auto shop, so his credentials are a bit more underground. He does have an incredible garage shop and reproduces some Skylark parts. I tend to be careful throwing out names, I'll see if he is OK with dropping his name on the forum.

Understand, I wasn't prying, just wondered if it was a full time builder.

You answered my question, THANK YOU.

Dale

Hello again,

My brother last week reminded my that he rode in and had his picture taken in a Wildcat in the early 50'. He is looking for the picture, it was in a parade. Dad was Buick dealer in Bloomington, Il.

We had both 53 & 54 Skylarks. I tore the door off the 54 when it was two weeks old. I was 17, backing up when my passenger friend opened the door, it caught on the front bumper of a parked bread truck in front of HS. Door fell to ground, we put in trunk and took it back to dealership. I still see the look on Dad's face. Buick flew a door in that afternoon, and it was repaired overnight, and Mon never knew. I had a very understanding Dad. May he rest in PEACE..