1954 Buick dual groove crank pulley

Fred Zwicker

I am restoring a 1954 Buick Special 46R 2dr. Hard Top and have a power steering column, gear box and pump, but need the front engine pulley. Engine is 264 cu. in V8. Am willing to pay more than a reasonable price for this pulley, but it must not be damaged and be the correct one.

Thanks, Fred

fznz at comcast.net

Guest rsd9699

When I first started playing with my 55 olds, I took the complete power steering system from a 53 olds and put it in my 55 olds. I used the 2 groove water pump pulley to run the Power steering pump and depended upon the generator belt to drive the gen and PS. Did so for 3 years until I upgraded to a/c and changed out the crankshaft pulley. I never had a belt problem or a squeal from a slipping belt even on hard turns to the stops.

Just a thought to get you going and take your time to find the correct parts.

Just wondering what the difference between the 264 and 322 pullies - counterbalance?

Ron

Thanks a lot for your ideas Ron,

We have a real good mechanic in our restoration shop that suggested something similar if we could not locate an original dual-groove crank pulley. His idea was to change either the alternator pulley (car was changed from generator to alternator by previous owner), or the water pump pulley from a single groove to a dual-groove and rig up another belt to run the power steering pump. While this might take some doing, he felt it would work. I am planning on changing the altenator to an alternator that looks like a generator anyhow, so could go this route.

In the meantime, one of my friends on this forum has the correct pulley that he will be needing in about a year or so and is lending me his pulley until we can locate an original one, so we are both looking and hope to get lucky somehow. Now this is what you call a true hobbiest and friend!

The dual-groove pulley from the larger V8 engine has a harmonic balancer so will not work and therefore only the crank pulley from a '54 or '55 Special will work. The '54 and '55 Buick Century, Super and Special models all had the large engine with the harmonic balancer. To compound the problem, back in 1954 if a customer wanted power steering he often would simply move up to a Century, Super or Roadmaster, so there are few of the dual-groove pulleys anywhere.

Attached is a picture of the dual-groove pulley that we needand thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this post and for looking.

Still hoping to get lucky.........

Fred

post-48037-143138505615_thumb.jpg

Guest rsd9699

Hmmmm.

Unless there is a balancing issue, would not the harmonic balancer be a plus? Olds did some of the same stuff but it was a money issue and the upgrade was a few dollars.

There must be a cost justification for Buick some place - smaller crankshaft?

On the PS, since the generator at 30 amps is almost no load on a belt, I put put the 2 groove wp pulley on and bought a smaller belt. It took longer to go get the short belt than putting the pulley on the wp - I had no other issues. I am not sure why the factory did not do that in the first place to save a nickel. Then later it was a swap for the 4 groovers for a/c as the a/c simply added another 2 grooves pulley on top of what ever was there in case you did not have PS on the car. I have a striped down olds 88 that only had a radio and factory air and a 88 loaded except for windows and seat. You could have it your way long before mickey D dreamed that one up......

You do have a great friend but I would not waste my time on doing the swap twice unless it a judging issue.

Ron

Thanks for the idea Ron,

We were going to go that route in the first place when we found it so difficult to locate the correct pulley. My friend already brought the correct pulley to Charlotte last week, so we are set to go, but if any unexpected issues come up, will go with your idea. Not necessarily a judging issue, but this car is such a nice original that I kind of want to keep it as close as possible.

Attached is a picture of the car taken last summer, prior to our restoration which is now underway. It will be a beauty.

In the meantime, am still looking for a replacement pulley for my friend...

Fred

post-48037-143138506549_thumb.jpg

Guest rsd9699

I hope your quest is successful.

But the question of internally or externally balanced reminded my of my quests for a 4 groove a/c crankshaft pulley for my 55 Olds. At the time (around 1971, I found the perfect pulley off a 394 - it bolted up perfectly on my 324 but when I started the engine - the car shook. When I removed the pulley, and compared it to my single groove pulley I found that cast into the inside of the pulley was a large hump (a balancing weight). I took it to the local machine shop and he cut the hump out for me. Re installed it and it was smooth running.

I wanted to post this tidbit of info that you may look for the same "feature" and "solution" that I came across years ago. But I also wanted to put it in writing so that an Olds person may know that there is a solution to adding more grooves by using the later pulley on the earlier engines by removing the counter balance weight.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Still Looking - I thought I found one, but it turned out to be a "dead-end". Here is the story in a nutshell.

I am doing a "body off"restoration on my '54 Buick Special 2dr. Riviera Hard Top with a 264 cubic inch V8 engine. I am changing the car over to power steering and recently located a power steering gear and pump, but no dual-groove crank shaft pulley. This pulley was used ONLY on 1954 & 1955 Buick Specials and not on the Buick Super, Century or Roadmaster, as those have a larger engine. It was used ONLY on Buick Specials that had power steering, as the second groove ran the power steering belt to the steering pump. Somewhat rare, but they are out there.

A friend from the '54 Buick Forum generously sent me a pulley from his car that is going to be restored in about a year, based on the hope that either he or I can locate a pulley to replace the one that he sent for my restoration. So far, lots of leads, but no luck as yet.

I am willing to pay $200 + incoming freight for this pulley. Attached is a picture of the pulley that is needed. Note that it does not have a harmonic balancer. Maybe someone on this forum knows of a Buick Special with 264 engine sitting in a junk yard or somewhere that will have this pulley. Hoping that I can come up with this pulley for my friend. Thanks,

Fred

post-48037-143138528893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred Zwicker
typo (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Early nailheads are externally balanced, meaning there is additional weight on the flywheel/flexplate and front pulley/balancer in line with the counter weights on the crankshaft. That applies to the 54 and 55 264 and 322...both engines are externally balanced, but are balanced differently meaning that the front and back parts are not interchangeable. Now that 53 322 is a different animal and just because it used a cast pulley doen't mean it is the same---> check the part numbers! If you rebuild and have the engine balanced, any pulley or balancer could be used...maybe someone could match balance a 322 balancer to the 264 pulley.

Looking at the 1956 Product Service Bulletins there is this...seems to be more obscure than the original part.

post-30648-143138580878_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Early nailheads are externally balanced, meaning there is additional weight on the flywheel/flexplate and front pulley/balancer in line with the counter weights on the crankshaft. That applies to the 54 and 55 264 and 322...both engines are externally balanced, but are balanced differently meaning that the front and back parts are not interchangeable. Now that 53 322 is a different animal and just because it used a cast pulley doen't mean it is the same---> check the part numbers! If you rebuild and have the engine balanced, any pulley or balancer could be used...maybe someone could match balance a 322 balancer to the 264 pulley.

Looking at the 1956 Product Service Bulletins there is this...seems to be more obscure than the original part.

Looks like someone took your idea and ran with it Willie.

Buick Nailhead 54-55 264 balancer damper dampner - eBay (item 130556772237 end time Aug-31-11 19:19:56 PDT)

I had someone who has been rebuilding 322's and 264's for over 50 years tell me that you can actually use a 322 harmonic balancer on a 264 with no problem.

any who, in the mean time, I FINALLY found what I need for my conversion. from two different sources. So looks like Fred and my quest for the elusive double groove 264 crank pulley is over. :)

post-31987-143138622797_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138622814_thumb.jpg

Guest rsd9699

Me too.

Showing my ignorance of Buick - how far back could you use the gearbox to retrofit a manual steering car?

Ron

Me too.

Showing my ignorance of Buick - how far back could you use the gearbox to retrofit a manual steering car?

Ron

Power steering came out on Buicks Roadmasters and possibly Supers in '52. The 52-55 gearboxes can be used on I know 1950's, possibley earlier.

But if finding a double groove pulley for a 264 is tough, try finding one for a Straight 8. Also the pump bracket has to be retrofitted.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)