1939 Martz Roadster

Guest browniepetersen

Guest browniepetersen

Charles Martz wrote a book and an article for Motor Trend in 1952. He showed how to build a British style roadster from a few cars from the junk yard. This car started as a 1939 Hudson Model 92 Convertible Brougham (ledss than 50 built) and was customized. Only Hudson parts have been used in this car. I am now selling it because I am broke. If you want more data on this car contact me at browniepetersen@readytek.net. Yes, it is in rough shape but then again that makes this "one of a kind" custom car a cheap buy....

post-69639-143138476012_thumb.jpg

Edited by browniepetersen (see edit history)

As you said ,custom car,this forum does not deal "with custom cars".If you were in to custom cars,its neat but rusty and incomplete.Go to the hamb site, and you may have some interest.Now ,if you had the hudson and parts,well,there you got our attention,If you have nos parts for a car that it was breed from,post them here,somebody may need them.

Geezo Pete. The guy posts an interesting car for sale and he gets his chops busted. There is a class at Pebble Beach for early customs, so I don't think this car is completely inappropriate here. Why not let the moderators police the site.

Nobody comes down to the carwash and tells you how to do your job:D;)

Guest wagary

I know I should find the rules and read them about my posts. I've been adding to a thread about 1937 Buick or Pontiac kingpins. I am repairing the pins in my 1963 F-100. Since I hadn't ever replaced kingpins before, I came here to gain some new knowledge.

When you see some pics of my truck, you'll wish someone would've told me how to wash it! YUK!

I have owned that book for a long time and never tire of reading it. Over the years it has inspired me to cut roofs off of cars and all kinds of things that have made me smile. I am not a buyer but would be very happy to trade a few emails about the car's history.

I saved the picture to print and put in my book.

Thanks, Bernie

That hood looks like a 42-48 Lincoln. It looks too flat for a 39-40 Ford. The cowl is probably cut down from a sedan or coupe because if it were a convertible the tops would be straight where the headers attach,but at $500 somebody is going to get a great deal.Sorry you took offense,brownie I'm sure nobody meant any harm.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

This is a 39 Hudson from the gallery. The fenders might be the same and the cowl which might be from a custom convertible as Brownie says. The step down Hudson convertibles were merely cut down coupes. I still think the hood is 42-28 Lincoln and the front panel between the fenders doesn't look anything like the Hudson. The rest of the car,who knows for sure?

hudson 1939 - Hudson country club custom ser 97 www.olofssons.net AACA PHOTO GALLERY

Guest browniepetersen
This is a 39 Hudson from the gallery. The fenders might be the same and the cowl which might be from a custom convertible as Brownie says. The step down Hudson convertibles were merely cut down coupes. I still think the hood is 42-28 Lincoln and the front panel between the fenders doesn't look anything like the Hudson. The rest of the car,who knows for sure?

hudson 1939 - Hudson country club custom ser 97 www.olofssons.net AACA PHOTO GALLERY

Dave, In 1939 Hudson offered the convertible and convertible brougham in 4 models. The difference being the broughams had a back seat. the wheel bases ran from 112", 118", 122" and 129" for the Country Club Series. This Martz car was the Model 93 with the 122" wheel base. The step-down you reference above started in 1949 and was as you say built from the "Hollywood" series.

I assure you that the hood is from the original car and not from a Lincoln. The fill material is all from cut/weld technology. I think that the flattened front looks much like a Cord? By the way, attached is a photo of my other car. 1936 Hudson Stratton Sport Saloon.

post-69639-143138477849_thumb.jpg

post-69639-143138477856_thumb.jpg