55...MUST SELL!!!

Fresh drivetrain...and lots more...spares as well 2 dr h/t, early prod. car, white/black w/red/gray interior...wonderbar, p/ant(not there) p/s,p/b....make me an offer as its gotta go.....Drop me an E for more info...dlw29@hotmail.com<P> Price is negotiable...need money more than car...may trade possibly<BR> Rodders/Customizers need not inquire

Rodders & customizers are not bad folks and the person who buys your Buick has every right to do to it as he wishes and I support that. There are many respondents on this forum who have modified there Buicks so if you really want to sell your car you can s---can the bias ok ?<BR>Do I sound irritated ? hmmmmm<p>[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

Don's had a hard enough time selling that car on this forum after having highly publicized the trouble he had with it when the engine had the wrong pistons installed (wonder what else is wrong with it, etc.)<P>Now unfortunately for him, he's pi$$ed off probably 50% of the people on here on top of that.<P>Don, I truly hope you find someone to buy your car, but I hate to tell you it probably won't happen here...<P>Just an observation. Good luck.

Guest herkamer

Don you posted a response to my request for a windshield for my 55 Buick Special 2dr. Ht. I have tried to contact you several times via this post and e-mail but nothing from you--WHAT'S UP!! OH well just forget it I am a customized and you sure as H--- wouldn't want it to go in a car of mine. Good Luck to you as I believe you will need it with your attitude. I enjoy classics, orginials, customs and even a Ford once in a while, but I DO NOT APPRECIATE ANTIQUE IDEAS AND ATTITUDES.

Well, considering I make my living writing for custom and hot rod magazines...<BR>I guess I can understand someone's worry when selling a car they spent a lot of time restoring, but here are a couple of things to think about:<BR>One: if it's not yours, you don't have the right to tell other people what to do with it. I saw this a ton in the Mopar segment of the hobby. Those guys are nuts, and used to border on militant. If you want a car to be a certain way, then buy it and keep it the way you want. Otherwise, stay quiet.<BR>Two: Custom cars are generally worth more money. Don't beleive me? Price a restored Model A versus a Model A hot rod.<BR>Three: A rodder's money is the same color and spends the same as a resto guy's money. If you need to sell a car, no sense limiting your market.<BR>-Brad

Gents, please, please....I admit, I do get irritated when I see/hear of a mint car that has been chopped up for customizing - however, I do appreciate the WORK that person has done - despite that fact that I do object to the non-restoration ...no offense intended, that's just my point of view. I really prefer to see non-restorables go for rodding - still keeps them out of the boneyard and from the crusher (!) - as I still appreciate the work going into it whether resto or roddo, and I do get a kick out of seeing an older car with a 455 in it at times....just for something different. But with all due consideration to the gent selling the car, as you say, he can do with it as he pleases. If he has enough work in on the car, and would prefer NOT seeing it get chopped up, frenched, etc - that is his perogative. Admittedly, I myself would probably put the same trailer after most of the cars I would sell about not wanting it rodded up. We all have different tastes, and wishes for our cars - includeing "life" after us with another owner. Give the guy a break - as much as rodders salivate at the thought of putting a 455, 5 spd, posi into a '49 or whatever ....this guy feels just as stongly about preserving what Detroit originally made. And one thing the rodder gents do forget, just as with the cars they own, they can do with it as they please - the fact is he STILL owns it and this is how he pleases......Just a different point of view is all. Again, I do like the rods - just wish they were made from non restorable cars - but wanting to preserve what Detroit originally made is not an antique attitude - now lets REALLY get after the people that need getting after - THE RICE BURNERS <BR> grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

I'm with BuickNut on this. Its absurd to bring such animosity toward don55 for not wanting his car sold to someone who would reverse the work he put into it. As mentioned above, the car is his and he has every right to put any kind of stipulation he so chooses. I have heard of people selling their cars, but only after the buyer signed a contract stating that the vehicle would be stored in a garage, so that it wouldn't be exposed to the elements. Let me say this, would you say the same thing if the words "Rodders/Customizers" were replaced with "Demolation Derbyists?"d What if instead of a '55 Buick it was a Tucker?<p>[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

Guest Skyking

I like both, original & street rods. What I don't like to see is a nice car go to waste. I've seen low mileage cars or nice restored cars get into the wrong hands. Someone who will abuse it, leave it parked outside without a cover. After a year, you wouldn't recognize it as being the same. I remember going to see a 1949 Super convertible. The guy said he was going to restore the car some day. He had a two car garage filled with junk and the Super parked outside in the weather. At the time the car was in very nice shape. I don't think he ever did anything with the car...I never bothered with him anymore.

OK, folks, here's my 2 cents worth. I don't understand the idea behind telling a prospective buyer what he can or can not do with a car you are trying to sell. If, for example, he says will restore, then changes his mind and decides it would be more fun as a mild custom, must he bring it back? Is his money refunded? Can he be put in "HotRod Prison" for doing this? Probably no more likely than demanding in a divorce that your spouse can't ever remarry. Ain't going to happen. What if the poor guy wrecked it? Does he then pay you again? When you sell, you have no control over what happens, and we could LIE about what our intentions were, couldn't we?

I agree with most points put out, that once the car is sold, the new owner can do anything he wants with it. But there is nothing wrong that the seller ask what is the intentions for his "baby" BEFORE it's sold grin.gif" border="0 . If the seller doesn't care, or doesn't bother to ask beforehand - then game overwith - the seller hasn't a thing to cry about. It all depends on the wishes of the guy who owns it NOW and what his wishes are. Of course, there are those that will lie about their intentions to the seller, say that it's going in a well heated garage, and only driven on Sundays....and then will turn around, knowing before hand that wasn't his intentions, and run it in a demo derby...or rod/customize it up.....lying about ones intentions is pretty bad. Either way, the current owner has everyright to ask what ever questions he wants - hoping to get the honest answers. Honestly, I think the rodders would feel the same way if someone disgustingly rich said they wanted to buy their custom, baby it...then turns around and runs it in a demo derby. confused.gif" border="0 Both situations would be a bad deal.<P>The seller can't TELL the prospective buyer what he can or can't do with the car after its sold...but there is no law that says if the current owner doesn't like the intent of the buyer, that he has to sell to him. Its called being picky to who you sell to...just as the buyer is picky about who he buys from.<p>[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

Geez, It would seem I have made some folks upset here..I appologize for that...but when I got the car it hadnt been licensed in the last 26-27 yrs...73 as i recall from the plates, it is a low mileage original that was run hard(or so it would seem from the pistons during the 60's by whoever had it before myself. I have nothing against rodders...my uncle has a 55 Chev B.A. that he has tweaked a bit...drivetrain mostly and brake upgrades...But that is a Chev...LOTS were made as were Buicks, but I have always been one for originality...don't ask me why as I have never been able to figure that one out.... I have seen a lot of sweet rods out there, but when I think of that I think of the biggest engine/tranny combo one can figure out a way to put under the hood and run it with the pedal glued to the floor...just my idea. It doesn't mean that is so as I have seen many folks on here who most likely have a decade or two on me. Many of you on here have helped me with this nightmare and I am immensely appreciative of that...I would have scrapped it long time ago were it not for the help I got from here.<BR> As for the car itself, I got it to fulfill the one simple little dream this kid has had since the word GO....to restore a car to original....A few idiots who wanted to test out a few buildings strength along with my Dr.have killed that dream. Thats why I am selling it...No sense in prolonging the inevitable fact that it wont get done. I sure as heck wont let it sit until Im gone...thats ludicrous....not gonna happen period.<BR> as for BuickNut...I thank him wholeheartedly as I dont want it demoed and would prefer it not get rodded...in my eyes that would mean I have essentially wasted the last 2 or so years for nothing and I really dont want that to happen. It would kill me even more when I have run myself ragged trying to get it up and running and driving again for that all to be in vain. <BR> The car does have great potential ...not a cancercase or look like its already been thru the derby...It just needs a good home to finish what I have worked so hard to get done....all it needs is cosmetics.<BR> So, I am done with old cars after this as I simply can't do it and see no reason why I should waste my resources when they could be utilized doing other things...like enjoying the simpler things in life.<BR> If anyone cares to email me, Im all ears.

I am a "RODDER" type but I do not "FLAME" those who are "RESTORERS" and I expect tolerance and respect from both sides of the aisle when it comes to how I like fix my ride. My original reply to dons55 was mainly about how he worded his ad with a bias ( perceived by many maybe ?). I like any auto thats well done regardless of pure or custom. The Buick forum is to include anyone that has interest in anything Buick related, at least thats how I understand it. Do we need another heading for Purists only ?<BR>And the beat goes on smile.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Gentlemen:<P>I did not catch the inital posts on this subject, but it is not hard to figure out.<P>I PREFER stock and origianl cars myself. But this is my OPINION. I have an equal respect for those who modify, or rod a car, as compared to those who restore them to original.<P>The key is the QUALITY of the restoration/modification.<P>Don is justified in his concern of what is going to happen to his car after he sells it.<P>His best bet is to sell it to somebody he knows well and can trust. However if he needs to sell his car sooner than he can find the "ideal" buyer, he may have to settle for somebody that may cahnge his car.<P>A few years ago I bought a '53 Rodamaster that the previous owner had gone nuts with chrome under the hood. It was all done professionaly, and tastefuly, but I did not care for it. So you know what I did? I took off ALL the chrome, snadblasted and stripped it off, and brought it back to the original.<P>I'm sure the fellow may have been upset if he knew. But that's just how it is. We both had a certain respect for each other. That's what it is all about.<P>True, you can not specify what is done to a car after you sell it. You can only lay the proper groundwork, to prevent what you do not like to occur.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

I THINK HIS WORDING FOR HIS AD IS JUST AS IT SHOULD BE. I'M ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO STILL THINKS THAT WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE. IF HE WANTS TO QUALIFY POSSIBLE BUYERS FOR HIS CAR THEN SO BE IT. IT'S HIS CAR UNTIL THE NEW OWNER DRIVES IT AWAY. IF I EVER LIST ONE OF MY CARS HERE, IT WILL ALSO HAVE THAT SAME DISCLAIMER. I WOULD NOT KNOWINGLY SELL AN ORIGINAL CAR TO SOMEONE THAT I THOUGHT WOULD MODIFY IT OR CHOP IT UP. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE DON TO STAND ON THE PRINCIPAL OF TRYING TO PRESERVE THESE ORIGINAL CARS. RANDY

Randy, no need to YELL ! We are only exchanging opinions here.<BR>When you put a for sale sign up on a car or boat or airplane or a house, all restrictions ( or most ) are off or you may invite a discrimination lawsuit.<BR>As I said before, The beat goes on smile.gif" border="0

Speaking as a "purist" "restorer," I would like to go on record to say that if a person buys a car, he/she should restore it to his/her personal taste. <P>For example, anyone who knows me on this forum knows I'm a purist through and through. However, in my quest to restore my LeSabre to a pristine original, I faced a decision between originality and practicality. The car came with a cloth/vinyl interior, which didn't wear well. Since I have kids who love to ride in it and a wife who finds my "no eating or drinking in the car" rule absurd, I have opted for all vinyl, maintaining the original color combinations. Some purists (including myself) find this to be a major deviation from the cars originality, but it suits my purposes and taste, so there it is. I won't fault someone who comments that the interior is not original, or if they choose to pass up looking at the interior all together. Just as it's my right if I see a modified Buick at a show or cruise to pass it by as if it didn't exist. To each his own and to his own taste.<P>On the other hand, there would be <B>no way in a month of Sundays</B> that I would consider selling my LeSabre to someone who intended to modify it in any way and if I ever DID decide to sell it (which will probably never happen) I would make no secret of it in my advertisement. To me it would be like selling a puppy to a "good home only." You're not going to sell it to someone that's going to chop 3 inches off of it's legs because he wants it to look more like a dashhund. <I>Don has the right to deny sale of his car to anyone he sees fit!!</I> tongue.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: onebadassbuick ]

RIGHT ON SCOTT. YOU KNOW, WHAT'S ODD IS. I DON'T THINK DON SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HATING RODS OR CUSTOMS. HE JUST DOESN'T WANT THIS CAR TO WIND UP ONE IF HE CAN HELP IT. AND I HOPE HE IS SUCCESSFUL.<BR>RANDY

This is exactly how our hobby will self-destruct. The rodders can't get along with the purists, the demo guys can't get along with either, and the next thing you know, we'll all be in electric cars, because while we were fightin', the legislaters get around all of us.<BR>I had the same problem with my Studebaker wagon. The purists HATED that I cut it up with a Mustang II front end, disc brakes, 350/700R4, A/C, power windows, 60/40 power seat, etc, etc. After the car is done, they want me to join the club. <BR>Not too long ago, I posted stuff on this site. I had a 54 Buick Special 2 door hardtop and parts for sale. The 54 Body and frame went to a guy to restore the 54 he drove in high school, the 264 nailhead is now powering a 50 Ford, the 70 455/T400 in now on the drag strip in a 71 Skylark. The extra quarter panels went to a guy on this site who will remain nameless, who is customizing a 54 in the southeast. Seems like 4 people are happy, and nothing went to the crusher to become hybrid cars. Was this bad? How many of you hate some part of this?<BR>We all need to get along as a united group, although we have different ideas, or, like they say, "United we stand, divided we fall"<BR>My second 2 cents worth.

Don just a thought, I once had a1912 Buick that I really was working hard on I ran into some real depressed times and sold the car after some time every thing cleared up again and now I think I could have kept it, well actually looking back I know I should have it sounds like you think you your car has become tooo important, well shelve it for a while you WILL get back to finishing it.

To all you purist restorers... <P>I was wondering, when you do your purist restoring, do you restore the window seals to their original crap leaky quality? Doesn't matter to me if the trunk turns into a bath tub. Just as long as it's ORIGINAL. Note my sarcasm...

unregistered user the new guy-<BR>I do restore the seals to their original leaky quality. I try to steer clear of oceans, lakes, and rivers with my collectible cars, and whenver possible, I try to avoid parking them in swimming pools. wink.gif" border="0

It is OK to get very attached to something, like an automobile, that a person has had in their possession for a long time. The elderly woman owner of a 1966 Wildcat that I recently purchased is STILL very attached to "her" car, months after I bought it from her, and titled the car in my name. She occasionally calls me to check on the restoration progress of her "baby". Much of this woman's life was with this Wildcat--now she lives alone, and the Wildcat is a metaphor of a portion of her life. She even asked me for a ride, and went as far as to ask me if she could drive this Wildcat after I restore the car.<BR>Knowing that I would bring this car back on the road someday, and that I have a high interest in Buick Wildcats, the woman wanted me to have her Wildcat over other interested buyers, and she sold the car to me for less than what was offered by the other people. As the seller, she called the shots. As the new owner of the car, I can do whatever I want to do with it. <BR>I not only bought a car, but I also seemed to get the previous owner along with it, so I cannot disappoint her. <BR>AK Buickman.............

As much as we all like to work on cars - be they rods or resto's, I very much agree that no need to flame anybody. I think it respectful that if you're a buyer, you let the seller know of your intent with the vehicle if you both should agree on selling/buying. We all consider our cars our "babies", and want them kept as much down the path we put them on as possible. I must admit to wanting to put, on occasion grin.gif" border="0 , a different engine/tranny combo in various cars....but MY (please note opinion here...)idea is such that I would always make things reversible.....but in general, I probably consider myself on the restorer's point of view and what I plan for my cars for the most part. I guess it just comes down to respect between buyer and seller...if your the seller and want it kept on the path you put it on, let it be known, as Don did, that is how you wish to sell it. If your the buyer...mention to the seller your intent...a little consideration on both sides is great....cuz we ALL gotta make sure we keep 'em out of the boneyards and don't let them get legislated to bajeeziz !<p>[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of nice things have been said since old tanks post(THANKS LOTS smile.gif" border="0 )<BR> As to rods and customs...I do not have anything against them whatsoever....They along with the purists TOGETHER is what keeps the old car hobby alive.<BR> As for original leaky weatherstripping mentioned earlier....not to worry....if one pay attn. to where he/she aims the hose when washing, there is no problem...as for the winter time...arent old cars kept under some sort of cover...be it a lean to or garage thus eliminating the water leak issue....<BR> As for my car, I simply don't want all that I have done to it to be for naught.<P> Again, Thanks Old Tank smile.gif" border="0

I have been in the car hobby for 45 years and it is still the same. I started out with a hot Rod and got into antique cars because my boys were breaking my race car.I bought Buicks for my antiques because I had 6 kids and they would all fit in my 32 model 97. Through the years I have been involved with the BCA and have been to every national meet. My children are all grown now and I own both original and modified Buicks . I have watched some of the younger BCA members come into the group with a modified and in 5-7 years they have built some of the finest originals around. I personally do not like to see a nice original modified,but it is less expensive than doing a basket case. I spent more on the repair of my 37 street rod body than I wouuld have had to pay for a nice original,but this way no one can say I destroyed a good car. If we do not get young people interested in old cars by whatever means we can, our hobby will die. There is a lot of talent out there building street rods ,and that sams talent will build some great originals. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0