What year is it?1917 I believe

Guest bull

I have recently purchased this old banger as a 1917,Holden bodied pickup body made in Adelaide by the Holden team. The serial no is 163782 that dates to June 1917, but the engine no is A25523, a 1924 motor. Is there other things that may help me, as maybe radiator size, window shape etc?

cheers,

post-73727-143138457774_thumb.jpg

Looks to me to be second series 1922 or 1923 by the windshield and cowl and height of radiator, headlight lenses, headlight bar, and front splash shield. That is by USA models however. Is the serial number you stated stamped on the frame crossmember?

Radiator is too tall for '17. David, did trucks ever have cowl lights? Or could this have been built from a touring car?

With the looks of that door, I was thinking altered touring car, also. I do not see any cowl lamps on Dodges previous to 1925 in The Dodge Story.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes, the number is on the crossmember on the rhs, quite large stamped numbers but quite shallow.

I the Australian ones were mostly built up from imported mechanicals on the chassis. I was told this one is a Holden built body. Perhaps an Aussie Dodge "guru" can help with that as well.

Thanks

Looks to me like a violent collision between an early chassis and a 1923 series. The engine is most likely 1923 also as engine numbers ran about 60,000 past chassis numbers at that time. The 20" wheels are 1925 series. A horn button on the centre of the steering wheel would also indicate 1923. Are you sure the first digit of the chassis chassis number is 1 and not 7?

While the doors certainly look like Holden the rest is probably a semi-professional ute job on a tourer. To my knowledge Holden did not build something like this for the Dodge chassis - they were too busy knocking out tourers and roadsters.

Hi Dave it's on the crossmember under the drivers heels. I have been convinced that the car is all around 1923 vintage but seems to be on an old chassis. I appreciate everyones help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a DB plate above the steering column under old lino with a car number of 827830 and that dates her to about the 2 Jan 1923. Thanks for your help.

cheers,

John.