February "Bugle" -- the magnificent 1933 Buick Series 90

Centurion

As I leafed through the newly-arrived February issue of the "Bugle", I stopped turning pages at page 18, where Sandy Jones' 1933 Series 90 appears.

When I saw the car, my gaze quickly moved to the license plate, where I was fully expecting to see an Illinois plate. Reading the article confirmed that this was the extraordinary car I was thinking of, having had a series of Illinois owners before moving to Colorado.

My thoughts rolled back the calendar to 1986 and the Buick National Meet at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I remember spending the main show day engrossed in the Wildcats, but walked to a nearby restaurant for a meal. As I finished eating, I noted to my friends that I had just spied a 1933 Series 90 Buick sitting on a trailer just down the street. We walked quickly to the very large open trailer, on which sat one of the most impressive and majestic Buicks I had ever laid eyes on.

A crowd was quickly forming around the car, with many of us remarking that we had never seen this particular year/model Buick before. If my memory serves me correctly, the car wore blackwall tires at the time, which made it seem even more stately.

There's no doubt that this was the same car that Pete featured in the Bugle, and I can understand full well why Pete made the trip from Texas to Colorado to view this incredible car. Thanks, Pete, for sharing this treat with us. I think of this car as one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" Buicks, where you consider it a privilege just to stand and admire it.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

Thanks for the kind comments on my 1933 Buick 90. The black one is quietly stored in my garage for the winter.

The green one is about 75% done with a full interior restoration. Trim color # 164, basically the same as the original one.

Huge, magnificent automobiles, I'm proud to own two 1933 Buick 90s.

Photos to follow.

Best,

Sandy Jones

post-54015-143138462855_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138462871_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138462887_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138462901_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

Will do.

Pete's article pretty much told the story of the black one. The Green one is a one owner car, 28,000 and change on it. Was used as a funeral car in Pennsylvania. The car stayed in the family till I discovered it, a barn find. I do mean it was parked in a heated barn with a concrete floor for some 25 years or so, up on jack stands.

For various health reasons, they decided to sell it to me after about 3 years of pleading. ( begging )

Engine has been rebuilt, run for about 15 minutes. The interior was covered in a Naugahyde sometime in the 50s I think .

We use the black one as our guide. The interior is being done by a local , third generation upholstery guy named Todd Hermann. Some of the best work I've seen.

Will send photos as it proceeds.

Photo here is basically how we got the car from it's years of storage.

Best,

Sandy Jones

post-54015-143138463229_thumb.jpg

I was fortunate to be able to see the black 1933 Buick Model 90 at the Buick Owners of Maryland annual show at Boyle Buick. It was brought there by Hank Reuss, a member of our club. This car is unbelievable in person to see. It is a truly elegant car and there was a crowd around it all through the show.

Edited by michel88
Sp (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

For all you guys to turn green over:

Sandy and I had corresponded about the numbers on his cars. Since I was going up to Colorado to visit my daughter, he was kind enough to invite me up to his place.

I got to spend about 4 hours over, under, around, and thru these two cars.

This was last July. I knew that Pete loves 33's and thinks they're among the greatest Buicks ever, so I called him from Sandy's place and said "I'm sitting in an original black 1933 90". You could about see him turning green, so I introduced them thru my cell phone.

As Paul Harvey said,"the rest of the story." Pete of course did his usual GREAT job on the story and the photos.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 1 month later...
Guest outlaw car man

Some updated photos of my green 1933 Buick 90. We just finished up the interior, going to tweek stuff here & there and bring it home. Car was somewhat stripped for the stay at the upholstery shop , so next step is get it all cleaned up and back together.

Then crank er up.

Sandy

post-54015-143138503421_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138503438_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

Car is now basically done, fired up the engine couple days ago. Still a lot of minor stuff to do, interior is completely done and most parts back on-

Thanks,

Sandy Jones

I hope you'll share with us your progress in getting the car back together and cranked up for the road.

post-54015-14313852831_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138528324_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138528338_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robertsch4802

Dear Sandy:

I read with fascination the article on your breathtaking 1933 Buick Series 90 sedan. In my opinion, the '33s were some of the most beautiful of the pre-war Buicks, and yours in a real prince! You have probably been asked many times since the article if you would be willing to sell the car, but I will ask anyway. I love long-wheelbase Buicks, and would like to discuss this matter if/when you are considering a sale. My email is robertandbettina@earthlink.net, and I live in NYC but store my cars in Pennsylvania, where my father lives. Thanks for sharing the car with the Bugle correspondent. It really gave me a thrill!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

Got both of them out today, the green one is waiting for a new exhaust system, but fires up nicely, & loudly !!!!!!! ( is loudly a true word ? )

Here is a couple scans side by side.

Sandy

I wanted to add, Sandy, that I hope you'll share photos and updates as the green car's restoration nears completion. What a thrill to display these two cars side-by-side!

post-54015-143138567113_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138567128_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138567143_thumb.jpg