wood framework above truck bed

Guest richard davis

Guest richard davis

I want to build a wood framework above my old truck. I would like to know what it is called and the history of this item. I have attached a picture of one I saw not too long ago.

post-73498-143138440434_thumb.jpg

They are called racks and date back to the horse drawn wagons. No doubt the ancient Romans put racks on their donkey carts.

So far as I know they were all made by the owner or the local carpenter. I don't think they were a factory option.

Could range from very fancy, carved varnished and lettered or pinstriped, to crude temporary jobs nailed together from old lumber.

Sambarn you are in context and not far wrong. The Little Red Express had wood trim on the box but not racks. It was the closely related Warlock truck that came with racks. So, I was wrong there was one truck that came stock with wooden racks.

The Warlock

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/02/09/cardomain-obscure-muscle-car-parking-lot-the-dodge-warlock-and-lil-red-express/

Guest CarAdMan

I had them on my '53 GMC in 1978. I worked for Universal Display in South El Monte, CA. and they gave me a place to tie the tall display cases to. - RICK

post-59657-143138442438_thumb.jpg

I remember a truck that was used by a painter in the early 50's that had a roof over the bed. I think that it was made of steel and had canvas sides that rolled up and were held in place by leather straps.

I think that is a neet idea and am thinking of puting them on my PU. I have been looking for pictures of them but never found any.

Does anyone else remember them?

The wood framework that you are referring to are known as stakes and were first used on horse drawn wagons and called a stake side wagon. Motor trucks also used this same body and they were called stake trucks in the early 1900's. On some of the horse drawn wagons the box body could be removed and stakes installed on the sides to carry lumber, logs and such.

Guest Gary Hearn
I remember a truck that was used by a painter in the early 50's that had a roof over the bed. I think that it was made of steel and had canvas sides that rolled up and were held in place by leather straps.

I think that is a neet idea and am thinking of puting them on my PU. I have been looking for pictures of them but never found any.

Does anyone else remember them?

Studebaker offered such an option for the M series pickups and it was called a Caravan Top. I think Gary Ash has the necessary dimensions in order to have one fabricated.