PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

I can't really understand why people think that kinda cars will be able sold on EBAY.

People just can't understand by publishing there cars online they loosing there chances to sale cars. 

First opinion come up to real buyer 

If car was advertised and wasn’t sold that mean something wrong with the car. Not original or not matching numbers or ….

Every time when I talk to people and trying to explain that people not believing and trying to go over and advertise it. Sad very, very sad.  

Edited by Davlet (see edit history)

I agree that it was a bad idea in the sense that those who saw the eBay ad know that the car did not draw a $1.5M bid, much less the $2M asking price, and anytime a car is offered and not sold it can be interpreted negatively. However, I doubt many serious buyers look at eBay, so I don't think the ebay advertising will hurt too much. What is more difficult for me to believe is that Kemp sold his collection without taking it to a major auction, and the new owner using Motostalgia. I went to one of their auctions a couple of years ago, and it was not very well coordinated. Hopefully they learned quickly and run things more smoothly now, but if I had a $1.5M-$2M classic, I would be using a major. I know the seller's premium can be negotiated down to zero by the second- and third-tier houses to attract major cars, but I wonder if the seller is really coming out ahead. I don't know what the factors were here, but if it was based on seller's premium, I think the strategy is flawed.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

Hello AACA Members,

thanks to A.J. for redirecting to this thread :)

I am a car guy from Germany - collecting different - mostly Porsche cars.

Some time ago I bougth a Mercedes 540 Body from a friend

As far as i Know for now the car is a Mercedes 540K Cabrio B from 1938 - but as I am more a porsche guy - I hope you can help me out with the identification.

I am also in contact with mercedes classic in Germany - but they will not deliver any information as i am not owning the chassis :huh: - which will be most likely used under a more expensive Body

Body number is 843304 -> so should be a Sindelfingen Body right?

Is there any way to find out to whom the car was delivered when new? besides Mercedes :D

540#2

540#3

540#1

Thanks in advance!

Definitely a Sindelfingen Cab B body.   The hard part is that all the indexes are by chassis # or engine # so it will be hard to find.  Maybe Craig can tell us how many reproduction Special Roadsters are out there that started out with Cab B bodies.   That number is probably only about 6-10 and I'm sure your body was on one of those.  Of course it might also be the Cab A we were talking about a few posts back.

That's probably close for Cab B's, but even if I have a record that a car is rebodied, I don't always know from what. I count about 14 long-tail roadsters on original chassis that started as other body styles. I couldn't get Prahl to tell me how many they have done, but I've seen 3 of them come up for sale recently and there are probably more.  Nawrocki did 5 bodies, though two are still unfinished.  HME did one. I don't know who fabricated the other bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me? This car's proportions just look weird to me. Perhaps the V-windshield doesn't work with the cab top, or maybe it's the white tires, or the red color, or a little bit of all of it. Just looks like a bad Monogram model kit to me, but I can't place my finger on why.

The Red 540k Cab C is pictured a few times and mentioned in this thread.  It was originally delivered to England, was in NY in the 60s and owned by a friend of mine in Mass during the 00s.  Last it was for sale they wanted a lot of money.  It has power steering.

The Red 540k Cab C is pictured a few times and mentioned in this thread.  It was originally delivered to England, was in NY in the 60s and owned by a friend of mine in Mass during the 00s.  Last it was for sale they wanted a lot of money.  It has power steering.

$1.3M current asking price. I only know of two C's that have gone for $1M-$1.2M, and those were pre-recession. However, this car has been offered three times in the past 12 months, and I don't know if it has sold once or twice or just changed selling agents.

Bonhams is having a loaded auction.  Check this out:  http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23590/

Here is the jewel of the offerings:

Featured at the Paris Auto ShowEx-Richard Croxton Adams,1935 MERCEDES-BENZ 500K Special Roadster Engine no. 123696
1935 MERCEDES-BENZ 500 K CABRIOLET
Coachwork by Carrosserie J. Saoutchik

Chassis no. 123696
Engine no. 102405.38 123696

5,018cc OHV Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
100bhp or 160bhp with Supercharger Engaged
4-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Servo-Assisted Hydraulic Drum Brakes

Exquisite and rare coachwork by one of the world's most coveted coachbuilders
Sumptuous body with unique sculptural beltline - a signature Saoutchik design
Unique one-off car with huge presence and
Continuous history and chain of ownership

post-76712-0-05694700-1456718571_thumb.j

1938 MERCEDES-BENZ 540K ROADSTER
Coachwork by Lancefield

Chassis no. 169317
Engine no. 169317

5,401cc OHV Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
115bhp or 180bhp with Supercharger Engaged

Elegant and imposing coachwork by a famous English coachbuilder
Superb proportions with fully disappearing top
Sporting One-off coachwork on a legendary supercharged Mercedes chassis
Welcomed at the worlds finest Concours d'Elegance

post-76712-0-94178800-1456719178_thumb.p

1936 MERCEDES-BENZ 500K SPORTS ROADSTER
Coachwork by Sindelfingen

Chassis no. 130857
Engine no. 101240011.44 130857

5,018cc OHV Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
4-speed Manual Transmission

Exquisite and rare coachwork by Sindelfingen
One of only 7 to 12 cars to this configuration
Matching numbers example
Fitted with the very rare flat windshield
High-quality restoration that presents well

post-76712-0-87359200-1456719259_thumb.j

1939 MERCEDES-BENZ 540K CABRIOLET A

Chassis no. 408388
Engine no. 10124019.32 408388

5,401cc OHV Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
115bhp or 180bhp with Supercharger Engaged

Outstandingly handsome example of Sindelfingen coachwork
High-quality older restoration that presents well
Legendary supercharged pre-war Mercedes-Benz chassis

post-76712-0-87253800-1456719332_thumb.j

1935 MERCEDES-BENZ 500K CABRIOLET C

Chassis no. 113715
Engine no. 102401.53 113715

5,018 cc OHV Supercharged Inline 8-Cylinder Engine

Rare and correct example
High-quality coachwork by Sindelfingen
High-quality restoration that presents well
Legendary supercharged Mercedes-Benz chassis

post-76712-0-46757700-1456719414_thumb.j

Wow. Seven Nine 500/540K's at auction in the next few weeks, plus at least nine more that are currently available privately (might be some overlap, I haven't checked). Surely the supply is going to suppress prices on all but the Saoutchik and maybe the low-door roadster. I am seeing the phrase "the smart money getting out" more and more frequently in opinions about the classic market.

Summary of the upcoming 500/540K auctions upcoming:

4 Cab A's at Bonham's Amelia, Bonham's Stuttgart, RM Amelia, and RM Monaco.

1 Cab C at  Bonham's Stuttgart.

1 Special Roadster at Motostalgia Amelia.

1 Saoutchik Cab at Bonham's Stuttgart.

2 "other" roadsters at Bonham's Stuttgart.

Nine cars, and that doesn't even get us to car week in August. I'll take the Saoutchik and y'all can split up the others!

There are always ebbs and flows to the market.  I remember when the Duesenberg market was flooded with the dispersal of Imperial Palace and the O'Coin collection.  I figured the Duenseberg market would have to come down.  Have you checked Model J prices lately?

I noticed that the blue replica body 320 Cab A that I saw in the Amelia show last year is up for sale by Bonhams at Amelia next week.http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23133/lot/172/

I just spoke to one of their people about it. It will be interesting to see what they do. Nothing mentioned in the description that it is a fake. We discussed the SWB "Cab A" that was in the Bonhams, Denmark auction last fall that was really a copy of a Combination Coupe. The Bonhams rep indicated that it was represented as a "reconstruction". I would take issue that the description indicated as much. Here is the link for a lesson in auction copy creative writing: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23234/lot/3/

I know this is not so interesting to those of you following the supercharged cars, but I'm just trying to get the truth out.

Thanks to Henry for pointing this out.  I had somehow overlooked this.

1937 MERCEDES-BENZ 540K CABRIOLET A

Chassis no. 154083
Engine no. 154083
5,401cc OHV Inline 8-cylinder Engine with Rootes Supercharger
180bhp at 3400rpm With Blower Engaged
4-Wheel Drum Brakes

* One of only 32 of this design constructed
* Exquisite low slung two seater touring car
* Original UK delivery
* Fine, fresh older restoration completed
* One of the great automobiles of its day

post-76712-0-09937400-1457029498_thumb.p

Henry, I find it very interesting. I am going through the same thing with a different type of collector's item - a guitar represented as having belonged to a musician named Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I have over 20 pieces of information that in my opinion prove it was not. I don't have a dog in that hunt - just trying to prevent some poor schuck from getting taken. The auction house says they pulled it, but it is widely reported as having been sold for $100,000.

Cab A for sale in Italy. Seller refused to reveal the chassis number, but a website says Kesselring's car was 169355. Something doesn't add up between the reported chassis number and 1939. Maybe one of you can get chassis number. Seller indicated it is $2.5M. From his ad:

"From a famous Italian Car's museum a wonderful Mercedes in perfect condition. Built in 1939 or Albert Kesselring (German officer) it was in Italy during the II War, and then it was bought by our family up today. In the 60s it was restored maintaining the originality, very correct numbers matching car. All documentation.

Apparently the museum was Quattroruote.

7063513.jpg