PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

The midde photo shows a radio aerial and chrome trim around the exhaust pipes on the hood (bonnet). The bumper(s) don't appear to have any rubber. There is also something odd about the apron area - looks like some kind of bracket, and only one trumpet horn. Five lights in the front (plus the fender lights). Body colored wheels. All those things pretty well set it apart, but could have been changed during a restoration.

The third car doesn't have a stone guard, otherwise I'd say it's the Prym car. Maybe the top car is the Prym car with different color leather.

Have you looked in Melin's books for these cars? 

I dug out my Melin II book and it does answer most questions as to the S/Ns :)

- 1st pic: red short tail LHD roadster w/ grey interior is 123772

- 2nd pic: red short tail RHD roadster w/ black interior is 123702

- 3rd pic: Prym car look alike but w/ set back engine: ? no obvious match in Melin -> anyone have a newer photo of the Bob Day car?

- 4th pic: bright red RHD coupe is most likely 130942

- 5th pic: dark blue LHD coupe is 154139

- 6th pic: maroon LHD coupe is 130944

On page 214/5 in Melin II there are photos of another 500K coupe s/n 130899 (must be one of very last 500Ks) that looks pretty identical to the three above except in lacks the rear spats. It almost looks like a twin of 130942 but there are some small differences indeed.So it seems there are actually 4 Spezial Coupe survivors plus the Caracciola car.

The second of Joe Johnson's Special Roadster replicas is on eBay. Bidding has reached $78,000 so far, with reserve not met. It's being offered by a dealer, but I don't know if it has ever been sold (the dealer refused to answer). The first car got a high bid of $450K two years ago (more than double my opinion of its value, so what do I know). Joe said he was going to ask $1M for the second car. It's a nice looking car, much better than any of the kits, but you could pick it apart on details. Better than the kits, but not nearly to the level of Prahl or Nawrocki rebodied cars, and of course the chassis is modern with a 560SL engine. If I was going to this much trouble on a modern chassis, I'd make it much more powerful with beefed up suspension so it could really be driven hard.

9 hours ago, tilomagnet said:

I guess they are afraid the fakers will use the information and try to resurrect cars, i.e. S/Ns that have been lost to history....

Yes, that's apparently DBAG's argument, and I understand it. I just don't agree with it. I think the more public information there is about these cars, the better the marketplace is protected. If a car shows up with a VIN that no one has any record of since WWII, the buyer would then know that there better be a clear history of ownership. It would also help potential buyers to know what body style the known VINs had from the factory. Other marques have almost complete, public records of every chassis (Duesenberg comes to mind immediately). It would be extremely difficult to fake a "lost" Duesenberg because there is an extensive and public catalog of each chassis.

Yes, if from this hypothetical catalog someone knows chassis number xxxxxx left the factory as an innenlenker, and the car has not surfaced in 70 years, that would aid a criminal in creating a "barn find." But it also aids the marketplace because he can't make it into a more valuable roadster. Okay, say xxxxxx is a "lost" roadster; at least the potential buyer knows he needs to research it thoroughly, and perhaps the fact that it could be a replica will stick to the car like stink on Shinola and warn other prospective buyers. That way the value should adjust accordingly.

I agree somewhat but I dont think you can compare it to Duesenberg, as surely many of the MBs had a much more convoluted history. I would guess that probably ~ 30% didnt survive WWII which creates plenty of potential to "re-discover" long lost cars. Of course there are some legitimate cars that have been recovered decades later, mostly from the then Soviet Union and their successor states. I would guess DBs fears mostly result from the situation around the SSKs, where there are maybe 8-10 legitimate examples with continuous history and the rest are bitsas, conversions from S or SS or blatant fakes. 

Is Jan Melin still around? A couple years ago several users posted here that have been in contact with him. Maybe he would join if someone points him to this thread?

The Duesenberg is a special animal because they only built 500 and Ray Wolf was documenting them in the1940s and others such as Randy Ema or Chris Summers can tell you about the bolt color on a particular chassis.   The cloud of war did not descend directly on the continental U.S with the Soviet's taking cars.   You have almost 80% more 500k/540k chassis to track.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:40 AM, tilomagnet said:

On page 214/5 in Melin II there are photos of another 500K coupe s/n 130899 (must be one of very last 500Ks) 

I show a couple of 540K's with lower chassis numbers, and one Autobahn Kurrier with a higher chassis number that is listed as a 500K with a 540K replacement engine. Other than that one, 130899 is the highest 500K chassis I have found.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

On ‎5‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 11:25 PM, 540K said:

Speaking of "low-door" special roadsters, does anyone know the chassis number of the brown one in the M-B Museum?

To bad , as you wrote this ,i was next to the brown special roadster at the Classic Days at Schloss Dyck Germany :o

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6756.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

Edited by roadster36 (see edit history)

Those that know these cars were probably aware the Mayfair Special Roadster was fired damaged in Canada 40 years ago but this story goes in to quite a bit more detail than what I knew.  The car is spectacular in person and it is great that it wasn't parted out.

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/rescued-from-the-fire-mercedes-540k-mayfair-roadster-029861.html

Hello again,

until today I thought the 540k Cabriolet B Body I own belongs to the Prahl converted Chassis 169394 - this is now proofed to be not true

Another candidate is the wine red Nawrocki Conversion with the Chassis "408338" ( which is not a regular 1938 Chassisnumber)

Do you now if there is any other Nawrocki conversion build on a 1938 car?

Id like to find the owner of the chassis to give the Chance to save the original body - sadly my partners decided to sell - so if I cant find the owner in a reasonable time I have to tear apart the body - which would be a shame!

So my question:

- Which other 1938 Cabriolet B conversions do you know besides the mentioned Prahl and Nawrocki?

- The Bodynumbers are given linear so there should be a correlation between chassis an body numbers?

-  If you have data/information of a car with a Bodynumber around 843+/-xxx please send me via pm

- Please feel free to forward my contact if you know the owner

Regards from Germany,

Richard

PS: The body I own is a 1938 540K with Bodynumber  843304

IMG_5290.jpg

1938Roadster.jpg

44183.jpg

Edited by zup (see edit history)

yes, the 290 is the green duotone in the photo above. It has been in the MB tent this week alongside the big white Maybach, 300S, the just-revealed new MB Maybach coupe, etc. The latter looks like a 20-year-old's design that belongs at SEMA, but it is sexy. Some would probably call it a penismobile.