1948 CHRYSLER FLUID DRIVE

I just purchased as '48 Traveler. It's pristine, original and hasn't run for a number of years.

IT appears to me that the Fluid drive hose that attaches to the fixture between the engine and the radiator and has been sealed off. It appears to me that they've disengaged the 'fluid' part of the Fluid Drive and were running the vehicle that way.

Is that possible?

What are the dangers?

How do I lubricate for that?

Anyone help me with this?

Thanks for your time.

Tom.

On a 1948 Chrysler there are no Fluid Drive hoses to the radiator. Maybe you are referring to the heater hose connections either at the rear of the head or at the top of the water pump. Only on 1951 and up Fluid Torque Drive cars, they do have a oil cooler up front connected to the engine from the TQ. You car won't have this.

I agree with C49er about it being a heater hose.

As far as lubricate for it???

Do you mean what to use in the fluid coupler and tranny?

10w non-detergent oil is what we use as a good substitute for the original fluid drive oil no longer available.

Joe

The Fluid Drive was one of the first efforts at an automatic drive. It works a little different from a modern automatic, and different from a manual trans.

The best thing I can suggest is to do a search on the Chrysler and Dodge boards for "Fluid Drive". The whole subject was covered in depth about 2 years ago.

Fluid Drive is a simple, reliable, and easy to use system as long as you know how to operate it, and how to do some simple maintenance. Look up the threads and it will save you a lot of time.

Recommended oil or fluid is Tractor fluid, TDH type, ISO32 grade. You can get it at Walmart, auto parts stores or farm supply stores. See the threads recommended above, for more detailed service instructions.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I'm not exactly sure on a 48, but on 49-52 models the heater was located under the hood. It was a black box that sat on a shelf on the right inner fender. The heater hoses ran to it, there was a blower fan beside the rad, and a cardboard duct that took the hot air to the interior of the car. There was also a valve or temperature control on the firewall that the heater hose ran to.

Possibly this is the fixture between the rad and engine you refer to?

======================================================

Update: I did a quick Google search and the 48 Chrysler seems to have a different arrangement with the heater behind the firewall. So the heater theory seems to be shot to blazes.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I'm not exactly sure on a 48, but on 49-52 models the heater was located under the hood. It was a black box that sat on a shelf on the right inner fender. The heater hoses ran to it, there was a blower fan beside the rad, and a cardboard duct that took the hot air to the interior of the car. There was also a valve or temperature control on the firewall that the heater hose ran to.

Possibly this is the fixture between the rad and engine you refer to?

======================================================

Update: I did a quick Google search and the 48 Chrysler seems to have a different arrangement with the heater behind the firewall. So the heater theory seems to be shot to blazes.

The heater or if dual heaters are mounted under the dash for all 1941-8 MoPar cars.

Bob