1988 buick reatta electrical problems

Seth Rose

Ok I'm having troubles with my car the inside electrical are flashing on and off the car runs just fine but the speedometer and the touch screen and interior lights flash on and off very spasticly. Ive read that it might be the BCM or the splices under the passenger seat i just have no clue what the problem could be. Any help would be much appreciated. Ive had this car for about 8 months and have had minimal problems.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Best to start with the battery terminals making sure they are clean and tight, and that the battery is properly charged.

Then check the grounding point behind the battery that those terminals are clean and secure also.

Once you know that the power to the electronics is OK, then could be either connections at the BCM or CPS or either of those modules has gone south.

A more detailed list of symptoms might shed some light on which one it is more likely to be.

Do you have a spare of either on hand to swap out?

Splices on the floor usually have more to do with body electrics, not the instrument panels.

the above poster is right it sounds like you are losing connection with the battery. Take the terminals off the battery clean with a wire brush and put them back on. You will hear the clicking sound when the terminals are not quite tight and yours are most likely corroded and loose. That would be the place to start and its free.

Good luck

ok i just tried that scrubbed the crap out of the terminals and put new bolts on it and tightened them down ok nothing on the instrument panel is working besides the lights the rear and front defrost isnt working and nuthing lights up inside not the panel lights or the touch screen

Guest Mc_Reatta

There is a Ground Junction Block above and behind the battery. Check this to ensure that the connections are also clean and tight.

'Instructions can be found on Ronnie's site at:

Negative Junction Box Location - ReattaOwner.com

A little more to the rear above the coolant overflow tank is another Power Junction Block. Do the same for this block, and check the condition of the fuseable links that enter it.

This should give you stable power to the circuits and the fuse blocks.

Can you measure the battery voltage? Is it in the high range of 11 volts or more?

If you can't maesure the voltage, Advance Auto offers free charging analyis.

Do you mean the defroster doesn't work or that you can't run the climate and other controls thru the touch screen? [because it doesn't illuminate?]

Please type so that we might understand you better.

Also where are you located?

Guest Doc_Reatta

Had the same issue with my 88. Checked and secured battery and also charged the heck out of it (a depleted battery of < 10V is NOT enough to secure the electrical). Checked all fuses and relays and ground connections to no avail. Finally replaced the BCM and everything worked as it should. Not saying it's the BCM, just that was my case and I checked everything out before hand. Good luck.

i am located south of knoxville iowa about 12 miles and the touch screen does not come on or work at all none of the screens come on or anything and no the defroster does not work either the head lights come on but only on low beams ill have to try the power junction block tomorrow after i get out of class and then let you guys know if that worked thank you guys for trying to help

The BCM is the Body Control Module (computer). Most of the lights and accessories are controlled by it. It is located behind the glove compartment. Your problem could also be the CPS (Central Power Supply) that supplies power to those items that are not working. Make certain that the CPS fuse #5 is good.

ok thanks ill be sure to check that to if it does come down to the bcm or the cps would either one of thoes off of a 1988 park avenue work i know that might be a dumb question but i dont know much about my reatta and i have a park avenue sitting in my back yard

ok thanks ill be sure to check that to if it does come down to the bcm or the cps would either one of thoes off of a 1988 park avenue work i know that might be a dumb question but i dont know much about my reatta and i have a park avenue sitting in my back yard
Park Avenue I don't think so. Riviera yes.

Seth,

Go to Reatta.net and sign up for the Field Service Manual that is online there. Will help you a lot and it is FREE! Open the one for the 1989 which is almost the same as for the 1988; the 1988 and 1989 are almost identical vehicles with very few differences. The manual is a must and contains all the basic information that will help understand the terms and key abbreviations etc..

Edited by 88atta (see edit history)

BCM will probably transfer, but you'll need to get a CPS from a '86-'89 Rivi or another '88/'89 Reatta.

Jim Finn has CPSs I believe. I personally am think the CPS.

What happens when you press the "hard" buttons on the CRT (i.e. "Summary", "Radio", "Climate", etc.) Any beeps? or lights beside the keys?

Keep in mind that the touchscreen is a seperate device from the CRT. The signal from the touchscreen goes to the BCM but the signal from the BCM goes through the CRTC (CRT Controller) before it goes to the CRT but the CRTC rarely fails.

Given sporadic lights, speedo, and CRT it sounds more like a bad connection. Is your ALDL cover in place ? The 88 is different from other years and has jumpers for the data line in the cover.

im pretty sure the cover is there ill check when i get a chance to make it to my car lots of snow up here and no nothing works on the crt besides the radio screen and after about ten minutes it shuts off like when you sit in the car and shut it off but dont open the doors its like that no beeps when i push buttons or anything ill check the BCM out of my park ave this weekend and see if there the same as for the CPS im not seeing the list of reatta suppliers at the top of the page

im pretty sure the cover is there ill check when i get a chance to make it to my car lots of snow up here and no nothing works on the crt besides the radio screen and after about ten minutes it shuts off like when you sit in the car and shut it off but dont open the doors its like that no beeps when i push buttons or anything ill check the BCM out of my park ave this weekend and see if there the same as for the CPS im not seeing the list of reatta suppliers at the top of the page

I don't think that anything is wrong except for the fact that your car thinks it is in Park, which is why only the radio screen works. There was another series of posts on that. I thought it had something to do with a switch on the steering column. I believe Padgett handled that.

Before you get too far, maybe you should get some info on that...

ok i found them thank you guys your are all being very good help in my time of need. And NCReatta it says you can find complete cars id be interested in haveing another one if the price is right maybe one for parts or one that needs some parts that i can use parts off of mine to fix if you have anything like that id be very interested id like to have another 88 but really anything would be fine with me thank you much

Guest Mc_Reatta

From what I can find, the BCM from the Park Avenue or other full size Buick will not work in the Reatta or any other E platform car even from the same year.

CPS probably won't either, can't confirm,

There are 3 fuses that could affect the displays which you hopefully already checked, 5, 8, 15.

yea i checkd all the fuses and i emaild Jim Finn about both a CPS and a BCM and well see what he says back. as for the fuse thing if a fuse went bad it wouldnt flash it just be shut off fuses are either good or not good no in between im in aircraft electronics now so this wireing and fuse's are not that big of deal to me I have some what of an understanding of how it works all the connections are good me and everyone in my Airframe and Powerplant class checked I guess ill have to get a BCM or CPS and swap it in and see if that works but thanks for the input

Have you cleaned and tightened the grounds in the junction box near the battery as suggested by Mc_Reatta in a previous post? It can't be stressed enough about how important those grounds are to the operation of the electronics you are having problems with.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Think you've covered all the bases to try to determine that the issue is with a module. CPS is under the dash near where the brake pedal pivots, and the BCM is behind the glove box. If you have the time you can find the modules and disconnect and reconnect the plugs several times after spraying with contact cleaner to see if there is just a bad connection causing your problem. Assuming that won't fix anything, when you get the spares in, you can just disconnect the plug(s) from the installed units and connect the plug to your spare and test before you remove the module from the car. That way you won't waste time replacing the working unit and only replace the bad one. We should probably start up a pool as to which one will be the problem unit. I'm betting on the BCM.

alright thanks that very helpful other wise i probly would riped my whole dash apart thank you much and im pretty sure im gonna get another car sometime soon ill probly get one of both it doesnt hurt any to have spares of things im gonna need help with switching the proms thing i have no clue how to do that but thatll be at a later date thank you very much guys you are a great help and will probly hear from me at some point in the future