Auto Factoids 2011-2 Chevy Engines - Marine Use and Studebaker

Guest timsweet

Guest timsweet

While I'm finishing up the next part my article on Chevy's 283, I thought I'd share a couple things I ran across. Enjoy.

pixel?a.1=p-18-mFEk4J448M&a.2=p-ab3gTb8xb3dLg&labels.1=type.polldaddy.rating

1965 – 1966 Chevy’s mainstay V8 the 283 was used in several Studebaker models build in Canada.

1966-studebaker-cruiser.jpg?w=300&h=2251966 Studebaker Cruiser

1966-studebaker-daytona-new-engine.jpg?w=300&h=2241966 Studebaker with Chevy's 283

Chris-Craft boat manufacturer used the 283 in their water boats.

marine-283.jpg?w=300&h=225Marine 283 for Chris Craft Cavalier Cruiser

chris-craft-1.jpg?w=140&h=105Chris-Craft Used Chevy's 283

Thanks for reading.

Tim

Hope someone can verify that facts on this but I believe the 283s used in the Studes were built in Canada (in Hamilton?). I guess the same engines were in the Canadian-built Chevs of that era that we saw here in NZ. I don't how much, if any, different they were to the US-built ones. How many plants were there that built small blocks?

Guest De Soto Frank

The last Studes also used the Chevy inline six, referred to as the "Sky-bolt Six"...

I always though the grille on the '66 Studebaker bore more than a passing resemblance to an Opel Kadette... or vice-versa...

Guest Skip Jordan

The Corvette LT-1 and LS7 also served as the basis for a number of MerCruiser I/O engines for Brunswick Corporation boats and a few other companies.

Edited by Skip Jordan (see edit history)

The Corvette LT-1 and LS7 also served as the basis for a number of MerCruiser I/O engines for Brunswick Corporation boats and a few other companies.

Lots of GM and Ford engines served as marine engines, including the four cylinder Nova motors and the big blocks. Note that these are not to be confused with the ones that were boat anchors... ;)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Lots of GM and Ford engines served as marine engines, including the four cylinder Nova motors and the big blocks. Note that these are not to be confused with the ones that were boat anchors... ;)

You must be referring to the "boat anchor" '67 230's that were used with the 165 Mercruisers. Don't know what they did to that block but it was the heaviest of all 230's, actually weighed more than a Ford 429-460. Sure gave the boat I had with a 165 Mercruiser a bad case of the squats even at the dock.

Jim

Chevrolet engines supplied to Studebaker were made in Canada by McKinnon Industries. They also supplied engines to Chevrolet. I read on a Studebaker web site that they considered 3 or 4 different engines but the Chev fit in easiest, and of course cost the least. Studebaker engines were no longer available from South Bend after the Stude plant shut down.

I imagine they must have had some kind of permission from Chevrolet to sell engines to Studebaker. It appears they were already supplying engines to marine engine converters.

Do you have a Chev engine made in Canada by McKinnon Industries? Here is how you can tell.

The Small Block V-8s are all stamped with an engine identification code. This can be found on the right-hand side of the cylinder head. This ID code is an eight-character stamping. The first letter identifies the plant where the engine was manufactured. This is followed by four numbers, the first two denoting the month of manufacture and the next two the year. The last three letters are the engine suffix code.

If the first letter is V (F for six-cylinder engines), the engine was manufactured in Flint, Michigan. If it is M, the place of manufacture is the Gulf of Mexico. S stands for Saginaw Services in Michigan. T is for the city of Tonawanda in New York.

Finally, if your engine head ID starts with K, you are the lucky owner of a Chevy Small Block made by McKinnon Industries Canada in St. Catherines, Ontario.

McKinnon Industries was started by a Scotchman in 1878. It was bought up by General Motors in 1929. They started by making Delco electrical equipment for cars and trucks, shock absorbers and steering gears, and other small parts. By WW2 they had expanded to make truck axles, transmissions and similar parts. In 1954 they built a new plant to make Chevrolet engines for Canadian Chev and Pontiac cars, and assemble Oldsmobile engines from imported parts.

• 2 weeks later...