I will be looking for spoke wheels soon

bepnewt

It depends on whether you looking for OE Skylark rims, or reproductions.

Thanks, Ed. I didn't realize how prevalent the wheels are. I found someone just a few miles away selling a set this evening. I'm going to search now to see what numbers I need to understand to find out what I need to look at when purchasing these style wheels.

-BEPNewt

Brian, you should be able to find lots of these in the Tulsa area. What you included a picture of is a "Starwire", designed by Darryl Starbird, (yes, the same 60's customizer) and used on several of his show cars. These became very popular in Oklahoma City, Wichita, and Tulsa areas where Darryl put on his car shows. Fair warning, wire wheels, and these especially, are hard to keep balanced and trued. Truing a wire wheel is not fun, and gets old quick because you have to demount the tire to do it. You and the tire shop owner will become good friends. These look good on first gen Rivieras, but make sure you know what you are getting into.

Once again, words of wisdom. Thanks, Steelman. I definitely need to keep that in mind. I plan on driving my car to work 1-2 times a week and Tulsa roads are horrible in general.

Darryl's name is Gold in this area, for sure.

-BEPNewt

You'll want a 15 x 6 wheel with the 5" on 5" bolt circle if you want to stay close to what Buick offered in '53-'54 on it's Skylarks. Measure the back spacing on one of the wheels you now have on your car and try to find wires with the same spacing. You'll also have a choice as to whether you want the lug nuts exposed or hidden under a cap. The third option (more for the Hoopty set) is the option where you bolt a spline on your hub then use a big wing nut and a hammer to mount the wheels.

Talk to others in your area and ask what brands they'd recommed.

Ed

Ill post a pic tomorrow. I bought the car about 4 years ago. It's rough but runs strong and came with every option-rear armrest,cc,power vents,power windows,power seat,am/fm,and ac. Just getting started on it this year. Working on the brakes now and then paint in a few months.

Thanks for the pic, Raul. Those look great.

The guy close to me selling the True Spokes says they are "5 lug 4 3/4 bolt pattern". From what I read on the forum here, I think I need 5 x 5", but I'm not positive. This is the Craigslist ad:

Tru Spoke Wire Wheels and Tires

When I look for my wheels, what exactly do I need to make sure of so that they will fit?

- Not FWD

- ??? x ??? bolt pattern

- Anything else?

Thanks, as always.

-BEPNewt

5x5 bolt pattern is what you need for an early Riviera. Big Buicks, Olds, Cadillacs, and 71 up GM trucks all used this same pattern. Some of the later big Fords and Caprices did too, but if you stick with the Buick, Olds and Cad and GM truck applications you will be safe.

Guest Gee_Rydes

...and 14's won't fit over the drums.

15" minimum, 5x5, if you are going reversed you can only go 6 inch width or they will stick out too far in the front. Standards are more flexible in that regard.

I will be running 15x6 reversed up front and 15x7 reversed in the rear.

Some tru's were unilug but I think the "new" ones are bolt specific.

I'm running 15x7s reversed all the way around. Fronts rub when turning all the way to the left/right. Car is lowered so that may be part of the problem. The rims don't stick out (I don't like that). If I had to do it again I would probably go with 6.5. Backspacing can push the rim out to far.

900 seems kinda high for Tru's.

Guest Gee_Rydes

I believe they are the ones that now own the Tru=Spoke brand. They can supply many other brands as well.

Dave Adler is the guy and is very prompt from a customer service standpoint.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a set of 30 spoke Starwires on a 66 Caprice I owned and thought they looked GREAT! Wish I could find another set for my white '65 Riv. I like the "Beefy" look of the 30 spokes. My factory Rallys are going to need a re-chrome before long if I can find a decent chromer near me, and it would give me a good excuse to change. Chrome plating is getting to be a lost art what with all the EPA regs and such.

Art

Pasted and copied from their ad: Look at what I've high-lighted :( To run these, you'd need to run a 5 on 5 to 5 on 4.75 adapter. That's going to set your wheels out another 1/2" or so.

◊ A great design for your special car is now available in 15 inch diameters only. 30 fat spokes. Standard or reverse patterns.

◊ Chrome plated finish. Polished front and rear.

5 on 4.5" or 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern only. These are single bolt pattern hubs NOT Uni-lug.

6, 7 and 8 inch widths. 10 inch and larger available at extra cost. Very limited production. All wheels are built to order.

◊ Comes with center cap, lug nuts and washers.

◊ Warranty: One year on workmanship and materials. 90 days on chrome plating and 30 days on out-of-round.

◊ $1,600.00 per set of four wheels with caps, lug nuts and washers. Add $50.00 per set for reverse patterns.

Shipping is not included.

Brian, found these earlier today. Thought you might be interested.

I wish my car would convince me that I like white!

Thanks, Steve. That second pic is forcing me to take back my long-held belief that I do NOT like Blue. That car looks nice and I like how it looks with the spokes.

I've spent some time using Photoshop putting all kinds of wheels on mine and I've found that I don't like a lot of spokes, just the 30 - 60 count range.

I saw black '64, lowered, Cragar SSs at the car show yesterday. Completely dug how it looked.

-BEP

I've been thinking that a Riviera would look good in the white diamond pearl that Accura had a couple of years ago. It's a off white with a pearl in it. I saw one the other day painted this color and it looked like it had a saddle colored interior in it. The paint and interior combo looked really good - thought then that it would look good on a Riviera as well.

I've been thinking that a Riviera would look good in the white diamond pearl that Accura had a couple of years ago. It's a off white with a pearl in it. I saw one the other day painted this color and it looked like it had a saddle colored interior in it. The paint and interior combo looked really good - thought then that it would look good on a Riviera as well.
Buick also offered that colour on the Park Avenue and later Lucerne and Lacrosse models. Caddy had it for longer as well.

I've been tempted by that colour, maybe in a 2 tone with it on the roof section but don't know.

◊ Warranty: One year on workmanship and materials. 90 days on chrome plating and 30 days on out-of-round.

◊ $1,600.00 per set of four wheels with caps, lug nuts and washers. Add $50.00 per set for reverse patterns.

Shipping is not included.

You'd think that for $1600 plus shipping, chrome would be guaranteed longer than 90 days. Makes me glad I bought billet.

No kidding! The "30 days out of round" makes me a little nervous as well. As I said, I'm a longhaul truckdriver, usually out 12-13 days, then home 3 or 4. 30 days would be about 50-100 miles on my Riv at most. Some warranty! They looked GREAT on my white 66 Caprice though, and would look even better on the Riv. All personal taste I guess.

Art Bohn

I check eBay and Craigslist every day for rims like these and never saw this set because I always search for 15" rims.

Will 14" rims work on my '64 Riv? I was under the impression they wouldn't fit over the drum or something of that nature.

-BEPNewt