coolant

I use Penrite Classic Coolant - a corosion inhibiter that does not contain an antifreeze component (ethyl glycol). Antifreeze has a habit of finding its way out of any slightly imperfect joints.

Check out the Penrite website for more details.

Hi TonyAus Tried Auto One, Repco, Bursons And Super cheap none of the stock Penrite Classic Coolant. Where do you get it? Thanks Micheal

I order mine through. Autobarn. Any Penrite dealer, including Repco and Supercheap should be able to order it - just ask. You will need two one litre containers as on the recommended mix a four cylinder Dodge takes about 1.25 litres. The remaining 750ml is handy for top-ups when your water pump leaks.

Guest DodgeKCL

Do not use the GM 'orange stuff' in anything including your GM. If you have a GM vehicle and it has the orange eco friendly stuff in it, drain it NOW and replace it with standard green glycol. I did on my Pontiac Montana. It will eat out the head gaskets and the 'wet' manifold gaskets. It goes acidic with age and eats all soft metals-brass,solder,aluminum you name it. Get it out now.

You might check out Evans "waterless" coolant. A local guy here in San Diego sells and swears by it. He runs it in all his vintage car restorations. And I have seen his high end work on several exotic antique collector cars. Some of the radiators he puts this stuff in are worth $5-10K just for the radiator. It's a bit pricey, but if it is a cooling system you really care about, it is worth considering. I haven't used it myself yet, but I will definitely consider using it in the Packard I am finishing up now. Packard radiators and engines=big bucks should they get corroded or overheat.

His web site is RSC and you can see the waterless coolant info in his online catalog. The owner is a very nice guy and will answer any questions for you- I don't remember his name offhand.

Another pretty amazing product is "Keep Cool" from the NEO company Keep Cool | Neo Synthetic Oil

It is best used added to plain distilled water. I have used this stuff and it is pretty amazing. Most other Ethylene Glycol based coolants still allow corrosion and in fact probably induce corrosion. Neo's "Keep Cool" and distilled water mix looks like you could drink it even after being in the system for over 6 years -corrosion is non-existent.

If you live in an area that you need to use antifreeze, Neo also has an excellent Propylene Glycol-based product. I have seen cooling systems using this stuff and the difference is unreal. You can look down in the coolant and it looks totally free of any contamination even after years of use. My friends in the racing world swear by these products. Definitely check out this website:

Propylene Glycol Coolant

A little OFF the subject: I have used Neo line of synthetic ATF and lubricants in all my cars for over 10 years. Using Neo synthetic grease, which was developed for use in race cars, allows me to tighten up my front wheel bearings without any fear of burning them up. When normal grease is used in wheel bearings, you must "back off" the spindle nut to the next looser position on the castle nut. By tightening up the spindle nut, I can eliminate considerable front-end drift, especially when using non-radial tires.

Now that you mention it Dr. Joe, I bought a system-full of something called Liquid Intelligence 115 (see attached sheet) as a total replacement for vintage and veteran car coolant. I am not yet game enough to actually fill my car with it until I get more info. It claims to last 6 years or more and is the choice of restorers. Anyone else had experience with this??

115 Technical Sheet.pdf

Guest MidTNDawg
Water wetter does not protect from freezing.

I think most of these suggestions should not be confused with anti freeze.

Thanks, good to know. Doug

Stuff like Neo's "Keep Cool" and water wetter are things that you can add to distilled water alone or add to an antifreeze. Antifreeze usually comes in one of two general flavors: Ethylene Glycol based (most common AF, very corrosive, very poisonous, esp to animals, harmful to environment) or Propylene Glycol based (won't hurt your paint, easy on your cooling system and far less poisonous and far more environmental friendly). Antifreeze is not necessary in all climates. I choose to use only distilled H20 and additive pkg like "Keep Cool". If you do live in an area where it freezes, by all means use some kind of 50-50 mix of AF.

If you have to choose an AF, definitely go to the safer and less corrosive PPG based stuff. Heck, you guys all put Propylene Glycol in your mouth every day!!

Whaddya mean, I put AF in my MOUTH?? YES, YES you do!! EVERYDAY! More info next post...

Yes Propylene Glycol is an ingredient in almost every toothpaste on the market. It sometimes is listed as PPG or PG or I think PEG is also used to hide the actual name. Don't believe me? Look on your tube. Here's an example. It is also why they WARN you right on the label that if it is ingested to go to a POISON CONTROL CENTER!!

Be sure to brush before bedtime!

post-54582-143138403681_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138403686_thumb.jpg

Joe, it's used as a preservative in soft drinks and other foods too.

Absolutely correct, my good man. My point is that if you are faced with the choice of Good (PG) vs. Evil (EG), choose the eco-friendly, cooling system friendly PG as your next antifreeze. I am absolutely amazed that we can even use EG in the over-regulated State of California. Must be some good lobbying going on.