Needs Help

Guest grocerygetter

Guest grocerygetter

Hello All!

I need some assistance on my newly acquired 68' Buick Sportwagon. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to find out the original factory specs, color, and options. I also need to find a luggage rack and front fenders. The numbers on the tag are as follows:

O6D

ST 68-44455FL1 329583Body

TR 183 T-T Paint

Thanks for your valuable time and effort.

Well, I can tell you that it is a 2-seat Sportwagon without the wood-grained siding, and 5,916 of that model were built in 1968. I don't know where you are located, but Wheatbelt Auto Parts in Oklahoma might have the fenders. They advertise in the Buick Bugle each month and also have a website.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Hello All!

I need some assistance on my newly acquired 68' Buick Sportwagon. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to find out the original factory specs, color, and options. I also need to find a luggage rack and front fenders. The numbers on the tag are as follows:

O6D

ST 68-44455FL1 329583Body

TR 183 T-T Paint

Thanks for your valuable time and effort.

'68 Sportwagon, Skylark, Special, GS are all the same other than where the holes are for the trim pieces.

Show us some pics and so on!

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks Pete for the info. Is there anyway you can tell me about the size motor or other options? What part of the code can you tell about the descriptions you have given me so far? Where can I pick up the Buick bugle? I live in Pensacola, Florida. Thanks again

Hi, the Bugle is a great resource for parts vendors. You might also check into Team Buick for more option and equipment info. I might have at least some of the luggage rack parts somewhere but not a complete set (lots of parts). Your engine will be a 350 2 or 4 bbl or the 400 option package which includes the 400 cu in 4bbl and TH400 transmission. Good luck - great cars.

Guest grocerygetter

Hi Roberta!

By any chance is there a guide or a template on the positioning of the vents for the fenders. We will work on getting pics and nice collection of cars

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks Fred I do not really know why but I would like to find out what motor it came with when we got it. it came with yuk chevy 350 and a 350 turbo.But I can tell you it will be going back/ All buick 455 undecided on trans as of now.

All things considered, it might be more popular to have a Buick 455 in it, BUT even the normal Buick 350 2bbl runs quite well (just no 4bbl feel at WOT or past part-throttle). I think I'd opt for a Buick 350 4bbl situation. Depending upon which rear axle ratio is back there could determine which automatic trans you might use . . . either the THM350 (which the Buick 350 would have come with), the THM400, THM700R4, or THM200R4 . . . of that bunch, the THM350 and THM200R4 would take the least horsepower to run (meaning more horsepower to move the car with less fuel).

Certainly neat cars!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks for all the input guys. With the little bit that we know about this old girl we can see all of the potential. NTX5467 very interesting thoughts on the trans options. How could we not even have the powerglide or munice or even an overdrive manual trans in are thoughts. And as for as the rear gear goes it will be around 4;11 .Yes I know a 350 2bbl runs good But I prescribe to more power .I do so enjoy spanking stangs,camaros and rice burners.It just my luck I decide on the 455 possibly a stroker ? How many cubes can we get out of a 455? Of course now that I'm thinking of this gas is over three dollars a gallon. LOL

Where can I pick up the Buick bugle?

Well, if you own a Buick, you need to be a member of the Buick Club of America!

You can join on-line at buickclub.org.

Included in the membership price is 12 monthly issue of the BEST car magazine out there, the Buick Bugle!

Feel free to put my name down as a referral. :)

Rear axle ratio? I believe you'll find that 4.30 is more common than 4.10/4.11 in that general vintage rear axles, as an optional ratio. I suspect the existing stock ratio would have been in the 2.9-3.3 range, which would not work very well with any OD trans. Adding a manual trans into the mix of possible transmissions CAN be done, but you'll need to find ALL of the clutch linkage items in addition to the transmission and shifter . . . which can be more trouble than it might be worth . . . not to forget about future value of such a "changed" vehicle. Granted, a 4-speed might be fun, but auto trans fluid and filters are quite a bit less expensive than clutches.

By 1968, the 3-speed OD transmissions were all but gone, in any brand, AND especially Buicks. Most were designed for lower-torque engines (base trans and the OD unit itself).

The best "race" to run with 'stangs and 'burners is the initial 50' from the red light. All you have to do is beat them away from the light, enough to make them take notice, which will then cause them to try to "save face", get their rpms up, and defiantly race past to get in front again. To me, anyway, it's much more fun to catch them off-guard with a "sleeper" than to show up with "attitude" in defiance of their perceived superiority. Plus, all of this "fun" can be had at under 30mph or so. BUT if you want to go to the track and get serious, THAT's another matter and will require many upgrades to the chassis and brakes (other than just a normal freshening or rebuild) to effectively use the Buick Torque to its best advantage.

There used to be drag race classes where station wagons used to have a certain degree of "edge" in the classifications. IF you desire a purpose-built racer, then see how all of that plays out and go from there. Sometimes, you can do that without loosing too much of the normal "streetability" of the vehicle. For bracket racing, all you need is a consistent-running vehicle, which might be more consistent if the chassis is not having to deal with massive amounts of torque, but a more balance approach that will work every time, hence a 350 4bbl can do just fine in that situation OR a very well dialed-in and executed 455 4bbl.

NOW, if you want to step back a bit, to a Buick 430 (which might be more period-correct, but not factory equipment in that intermediate platform), many in here have talked about how well their Electras ran with that motor PLUS better fuel economy than they had any right to yield for a car or engine in those size classes. Only issue might be its 10.0+ compression ratio and available fuels. Still, the factory combination of cam/heads/carb-intake/car/rear axle ratio seemed to be a "big block sweet spot size" situation that was definitely lost with the later 455s.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

My Sport Wagon is actually a 69 and has the 350 4BBL engine .a 3.42 axle and I installed a 200-4R trans , I have driven it 45 k plus in the last 6 years and with the AC on it pulls 20 MPG on the interstate In the mountains it needs to run in conventional third, but on normal terrain ,it pulls the OD very well

Guest grocerygetter

NTX5467

It is obvious that you are a very intelligent person. And you have given me many things to think about. As for the car becoming a "changed vehicle' goes: I hate to say, we got it before checking out photos of other sportwagons. We did not realise that it did not come with the corect fenders. And I was not even thinking about it coming with a lugage rack. We did know that it was coming with a chevy 350 combo which I did not like and can not understand why a person would do such a thing. It should be a crime!!! Yes, I know it is easy and cheap to find them. So what would the value of the car be worth. If I thought that this car was a rare find, I would most likely keep it as near to stock as possible and what wasn't stock I would keep for something else. LOL

I will have to do some reading up on the 430. I am pretty sure that it's what my Dads old wildcat came with. It sure surprized me how that big old car ran and I know it sure impressed me when I was a teenager.

I know I had a 1965 Olds that had a 425 with 10.25 comp single 4bbl with a powerguide and it would leave half of the coopers there on the pavement and that the car weighed 4600 lbs, I never did check the rear gears but it sure was hard to beat it off of the line.

I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts. Hmmm, I do still have the old 425 spare motor. What kind of Buick do you have ?

As far as the fenders go, I would be inclined to think that the actual Sport Wagon fenders would be harder to find which is why they were swapped. Since you would most likely have to have Sport Wagon fenders painted to match the rest of your car, I would opt to use the ones you have and locate the Sport Wagon trim, then weld whatever holes you don't need and drill new ones...IF the fenders that are on the car are serviceable.

On the engine, I personally would stay with the Buick 350, 4 barrel. There would be less fabrication needed. I would think by sticking the 425 in there you would be opening a big can of worms that may (or may not) frustrate you, along with taking your car out of driving service for longer than you may wish.

Just my thoughts.

I don't know how different it is, but the Olds 425 isn't a Buick 425. A friend of mine collected Oldsmobiles and he had one sitting in the garage way back.

The 430 was the engine used in '67-'69 Buick full size cars. While it seems to not get a lot of respect, it is a very good, powerful engine. Buick 350s are very respectable.

'68 Sportwagons came in 4 varieties - 2 and 3 seat, and basic and Custom trim. Production numbers are as follows:

2 seat - 5916

3 seat - 6063

Custom 2 - 4614

Custom 3 - 6295

So, they may not be exceedingly rare, but weren't huge production items either. Of note is that wagons often saw vacation use towing and sometimes were used in lieu of trucks for hauling stuff, so many did see tough use and were worked hard.

From what I gather, it came with the 350 with Rochester 2GV 2 barrel making 230 hp at 4400 rpm. The GS 350 used a 4-bbl with 10.25:1 compression making 280 hp.

Good luck coming to a decision.

Guest grocerygetter

Yes Buick-Mike

I also beleave that the sportwagon fendors are differant if for no other reson other then the added holes for the placement of the special trim.Fabrication is my day job been doing that for 30 yrs now .Yes it could be a can of worms but on the other hand once you have worked out the bugs it gives you a real good feeling.The car is not an everyday driver so having it down for a couple of weeks would not be a problem.Yhanks for your thoughts

Terry

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks Thriller-Derek

That is what I am looking for some one that could break down the vin code an tell me witch do we have the basic or the custem.

2seat 5916 custon 2seat 4614 Does that mean that there was a total of 10,530 2seat models made are is it saying that there was only 1302 of the basic made. my car has power windows an power breaks would that tell me any thing.

That's all the detail that my one source has. My ID book doesn't show a difference between the standard and Custom trim. The serial number should start with 44455 - 4=Buick, 44=Sportwagon, 55=4 door 2 seat Sportwagon. However, this book does show 2 versions of the 350 and the 400 being available.

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks Thriller-Derek

That me 44455FL1 all I need to find out now is what does the FL1 stand for in doing that I mite find out witch moter it came with.I would still like to find out what color the car came from the fact.

Guest grocerygetter

Thanks Fred

By chance would you know if the 68 fenders are the same as the 69.What kind of shape are the in ? an of course how much are you asking for them . Thanks for the info on the skywagon web site

Guest Fred_S

As to the fenders I will have to look - they are actually my son's and in the barn in here in sunny Minnesota so if we push a couple of feet of snow away we shall see. They are in poor condition as rust has taken the lower portion, but patch panels are easy and the '68 and '69 are the same except where the woodgrain goes. I think the ventiports are still there, but not sure if they are same on '68 as on '69.