carpet grommet for seat belt

old-tank

I am in the process of adding seat belts and/or new carpet to my 55's. To make a neat installation I would like for the belts to pass through a grommet (?right term?). I have seen where the belts were bolted on top of the carpet or pass through a slit in the carpet that soon becomes ragged.

Any ideas?

Willie

Mine are just bolted on top of the carpet. The hole is small enough that the seatbelt end covers the hole.

Juliano's Hot Rod Parts & Interior Products - Custom Car & Street Rod Accessories has anchor bolt covers, but I'm not sure that they would look right in a 55, however it would look more finished than just the bolt. I also like their under car mounting plates. They claim they will bunch up the sheet metal rather than having a large fender washer just rip through the floorboard in the event of an accident.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

I concur with 5563 on which method would be "period correct" (all the way through the earlier 1970s).

I haven't noticed Juliano's cover sleeves, but you could also get some made up with the same vinyl as the seat covers, slide them down, and then secure them with a dot of velcro on the bolt head, possibly? After all, this is a classy Buick!

Merry Christmas and a MOST Prosperous New Year!

NTX5467

I didn't notice that it came in different colors. They do have blue...

Clip On Seat Belt Bolt Covers

http://julianos.com/images/boltcover.jpg

Sold as a pair.

Cover up those ugly seat belt bolts with these neat looking bolt covers. They snap right on the head of the bolts that come with the seat belt hardware kits. Sold as a pair.

Item Number * * Description * * Price

JU010801 Black $15.00 pr

JU010803 Gray $15.00 pr

JU010804 Charcoal $15.00 pr

JU010805 Tan $15.00 pr

JU010806 Blue *$15.00 pr

JU010811 Maroon $15.00 pr

JU010818 Taupe $15.00 pr

[ How To Order ]

Think what Willy desires is to bolt the belt hardware to a bare floor and then bring the belt through a slit in the carpet. He needs an elongated escutchion or grommet to dress the slit. Kind of like the grommet that dresses the carpet hole the dimmer switch goes through. I don't know of a source but it's a good idea...........Bob

There might be something from newer (!!gasp!!!Q#$%#@$%) vehicles with the rear shoulder belts on retractors. Surely some modifications PLUS re-coloring--no blue colors. Possibly some contrasting charcoal/graphite???

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

NTX5467

Think what Willy desires is to bolt the belt hardware to a bare floor and then bring the belt through a slit in the carpet. He needs an elongated escutchion or grommet to dress the slit. Kind of like the grommet that dresses the carpet hole the dimmer switch goes through. I don't know of a source but it's a good idea...........Bob

That's exactly what I want to do. That way I can easily take the carpet out if needed. I found THIS but there is no picture---just of the package. Anyone dabble in Ford parts?

Willie

Wiilie,

I figured that is what you meant, but even that type of escutcheon would not let the female buckle end through.

That would indeed be a sharp looking installation. It almost seems like it would be better to make some perfect slits in your shop, then have an upholsterer bind it in vinyl to maintain some flexibility. I still like the idea of installing a flap or filler cover to be able to check and fill the manual brake unit without removing the carpet.

Think what Willy desires is to bolt the belt hardware to a bare floor and then bring the belt through a slit in the carpet. He needs an elongated escutchion or grommet to dress the slit.

I don't know about other years but a 69 Electra will have grommets like this where the seat belt passes thought the front seat bottom.