'88 - what to look for?

Thriller

Howdy all. I don't typically venture into this particular forum...not because I don't like Reattas, but I simply can't make the time to keep up on all the forums I'd like to.

Anyway, an opportunity has arisen. There is a local '88 coupe, white with blue interior and sun roof, for sale. I am going to look at it on Saturday. I don't know a whole lot about it, other than the car won't sit still in park - either transmission linkage or parking pin / pawl in transmission needs adjustment / replacement. There are no other significant issues reported and it is claimed to be collision free. I have not seen any photos, but will see the car on Saturday afternoon.

So, in a nutshell, is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? With a small collection of Buicks, I've got a good idea of the basics, but don't know specifics about these cars. If I knew she could keep her mouth shut, I'd consider taking my daughter along since she was chassis judge in Colorado.

I really don't have the spare money kicking around, and we promised to keep Christmas "simple" this year. However, there aren't many Reattas in the area and I've always thought they are neat. In my mind, there is significant value in purchasing a car that is nearby as it reduces / removes transportation costs. The seller isn't in a hurry to see it gone, and my new shop building is under construction, so I should be able to pick it up relatively soon.

Thanks.

Guest Greg Ross

Being from the North I would consider rust/ corrosion the single biggest liability. Has the car been painted, why? Majority of the body panels are galvanized so if there's rust evident consider it serious.

Suggest you got to the Reatta-For Sale" section and find one that's been properly listed with the "For Sale" template. Contains the prompts for asking the right questions about history and what may or may not be working.

Being heavily dependant on Electronic Modules, relays and many connectors, lack of use I believe is one of the worst contributors to electrical gremlins. If you do buy her, going thru the car and exercising every connector you can get to is worth the effort.

Sunroof cables are often an issue-the system I believe comes from Mazda.

Does the AC work-has it been converted to 134a, costly to refurbish.

You didn't mention mileage, if it drives and shifts smoothly and has adequate power the driveline is probably Ok. The slipping Tranny in "park" is something I'm not familiar with, I converted to a Manual Tranny 10 years ago.

Condition of rubber door seals, trunk lid seal.

Condition of the windshield-they're expensive.

Lastly, the Teves ABS Brake System is complex. If no dash lamps are staying on beyond 30 to 45 seconds it's likely Ok. Recommended preventative maintenance is to totally flush the brake system every 3 years or so. Mositure absorbed into the fluid over time we think damages the Pump, etc. Quick check of the "accumulator" is to not turn on the ignition, pump the brake pedal 20 to 25 times and have a look at the brake fluid resivoir to see where the fluid has topped out. Now turn on the ignition and you will hear the Pump charging up pressure, commonly takes 30 to 45 seconds to bring the system up to pressure. If the fluid level drops anywhere near 1/2" then the accumulator is shot and the ABS feature will not work.

This sounds like a late production unit (sunroof not available at first) and could be a pretty car. My major concerns are rust as it is very difficult to remove and leads to things like bad brake lines so look carefully underneath. Check sunroof operation.

Other expensive items are any cracks in the glass (front, vent, sides, back). Side windows should go up and down smoothly. Transmission can be an expensive fix and 440/T4 is a known weak area.

Brakes - take the test at Reatt.net but at a minimum when the key is turned on (engine does not need to start) both red BRAKE and yellow ABS light should come on. How long they stay on depends on when the car last ran but not more than 30-45 seconds after sitting overnight. Shortly after the key is turned on you should feel a "thump" in the brake pedal. Red light goes out first, then yellow. Red light should not come on when you hit the brakes.

A/C is like any other car as is most of the powertrain. Interior dash and seats are shared by same year Rivieras.

Thanks guys. I'd forgotten about the selling template and the template itself is a sticky, so I've perused it and saved a copy to remind myself. Of course, rust is always an issue. I do know that after the original owner, there have been three owners in one family. I do not know whether the car is originally from around here or not, nor anything about winter driving.

I'll definitely have something to report Saturday evening.

Thanks again.

With possible rust, and the sunroof... that spells trouble.. Sun roof panels are hard to find, and when you do find them, they're not cheap. I agree with Greg about being careful about rust. I'd suggest to print out a copy of Rawja's template, and fill it out on the spot. If the answers aren't obvious, just ask the seller. Another thing with the '88/'89 is the touch screen. They're great, and really cool when they work, but a real hassle when they don't.

They can be hard to find, and costly to fix.

Another thing with the '88/'89 is the touch screen.... ...They can be hard to find, and costly to fix.

I have to disagree. The touch screens are very reliable which is why they're plentiful and cheap. Highest price 150.00 (buy it now) for a rebuilt on eBay... you can usually get 'em for used there for 50-75 bucks.

Guest Kitskaboodle

My two cents.........hold out for a 91 Reatta and dont compromise.

When things start going wrong with your CRT and your ABS you

will be kicking yourself that you did not buy a 91 sir. :)

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Well, the deal is done. Things considered in my thought process are that it is a local car - no transportation cost and I could see it. The car is very clean, although there is the beginning of paint bubbling in front of the driver's rear tire (so rust is starting). This car saw two winters in its life, with limited mileage. It is a bit on the high mileage side (210,000 km - about 130,000 miles) compared to what I would have preferred. There are some weak points with the paint showing its age and some touch ups on the front of the hood. It has a new windshield, the brake lights went off as described above and the touch screen functions as expected.

I understand that the newer ones offered some advantages. If I were actually looking for a Reatta, those are the types of things I would have considered. This one more or less fell into my lap.

I haven't told She Who Must Be Obeyed yet...I may be in better shape if I print out a photo and put it in a card under the tree.

Congratulations and welcome to our generation of cars. The only bit of advice I have is to keep your eyes out for ABS wheel sensors [front and back]. Those seem to be the hard thing to get as they have been discontinued. Body parts [both interior and exterior] are still fairly plentiful. The two items I would stock is a back up Mass Air Flow sensor and a Delco coil pack.

The other stuff BCM,ECM, Instrument Cluster and Touchscreen typically give you warning before they fail.

Do you get the "Show"? That would be the thing I would show your wife. And for next years Christmas present ask for the Sequential Light Kit. I always wanted a car that had one... and now I do.

The touch screen and sequential lights... no other car in the world can have them.

On Ronnies site there is an excellant tutorial as well as a list of the manufactuer. If not google sequential lights. They were about $70.00 delivered. Easy to install and really fun to look at after installed.

I actually would hook up my battery charger to my car and watch them when no one was home but me... [i should really get a life]

www.webelectricproducts.com $69.00 each

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Congratulations and welcome to our generation of cars. The only bit of advice I have is to keep your eyes out for ABS wheel sensors [front and back]. Those seem to be the hard thing to get as they have been discontinued. Body parts [both interior and exterior] are still fairly plentiful. The two items I would stock is a back up Mass Air Flow sensor and a Delco coil pack.

The other stuff BCM,ECM, Instrument Cluster and Touchscreen typically give you warning before they fail.

Do you get the "Show"? That would be the thing I would show your wife. And for next years Christmas present ask for the Sequential Light Kit. I always wanted a car that had one... and now I do.

The touch screen and sequential lights... no other car in the world can have them.

Thanks Dave,

I'll have to start making a list of things to look for and start with your suggestions.

I've never seen the "Show", so your reference is completely lost on me. I've always liked sequential signals though...I'm not sure I'll be so bold as to ask for that as a Christmas gift, although the price is more reasonable than what I spent yesterday.

As an electronics simpleton I am asking someone out there to do a short video of the "show" and download it to our forum. It would be a good thing for our recent purchasers of '88/89's to try to restore.
Let me know how this works. My first try at video with my $100.00 Samsung Camera.

What is the Reatta light show?*-*ReattaOwner.com

Ah...before I could say or do anything, the seller had started it with the remote starter. Of course, the screen didn't come up without the key.

I may have overpaid at $2k, but I'm reasonably pleased. Once construction is done on my toy box (new shop building), I'll pay the remainder and pick up the car.

post-32068-143138379666_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138379669_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138379673_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138379677_thumb.jpg

Works great Ronnie! Do you have something covering your "high beams on" light? In th video, it looks like something round is covering it up. I don't know how hard it would be with your camera, but It would be nice if you could get the "Reatta" on the touch screen in there too.

I don't think it has been repainted. There is some touch up work that was done. The snow on the car could also be contributing to an illusory effect...some of the front pinstripe is covered by a light dusting in the photo. Of course, I didn't make a really close inspection - I would have liked to, but it sitting outside made that a bit more difficult. I'll know more for sure when I get it out of the snow and can more easily crawl around it with better light.