Hello ! Newb Nick here ! 65 Riv

Guest nickdaytona

Guest nickdaytona

hello everyone, nick here from Canada . Just brought back a '65 Riv from the RM Auburn Auction in September and I'm thrilled to finally own one . This one didn't go through the auction- I bought it from the used car corral on the last day after spending the weekend watching 3 or 4 401 Rivs go over. It turned out to be a 425 dual quad in nice shape !! Paint's crap but it's nice enough to drive without shame. I'm going to start working on it over the winter and hopefully won't bend your ears too much. I'm interested in lowering it a little and also putting some 16 or 17" rims on it .

Having said that, with 235/75/15 's on it now, which I'm guessing is on stock rims , what width of rim can I go with and not have clearance issues?

Thanks !!

Nick

P.S. Air shocks in the back ! ( assuming the rear springs are kinda tired)

assorted025.jpg

auburn2010061.jpg

assorted037.jpg

Edited by nickdaytona (see edit history)

Very nice looking car, congrats. Love those Dual Quad's. Personally I like the rims on it, and would not change them. The only thing I'd add to that car would be the lower rocker panels.

Rob.

Air springs were something that was available from the factory as an option. My '63 has them. The previous owner used the car to pull his airstream trailer.

Is the engine in this car a numbers matching engine? I can't see any GS badging on the fenders and was wondering if this was one of the 454 '65 Rivieras built with the Super Wildcat engine option that didn't include the Gran Sport option. If so, this is a very rare car and the value would be greatly decreased if you put different wheels on it and/or lowered it.

Nice looking.

Guest nickdaytona

Just got back from my other garage and the Riv is matching numbers !

5H931732 on the block and also the title.

there is also a plaque in the car below the radio that says "built for the Van Dusans".

Nice stuff !

But what designates it as a true Dual 4 barrel non-GS ?

Just got back from my other garage and the Riv is matching numbers !

5H931732 on the block and also the title.

there is also a plaque in the car below the radio that says "built for the Van Dusans".

Nice stuff !

But what designates it as a true Dual 4 barrel non-GS ?

Matching numbers on a non-GS with LX-coded engine block.

Guest nickdaytona
Welcome Nick from Canada !! - where abouts ??? It's a big country. :D

Nice looking '65, personally I also like the look of the stock ralley wheels on 1st generation Rivs, but hey, its your car, and a beauty too !!

I am in the Hammer !! ( Hamilton for those of you who aren't local )

Love Ottawa and visit semi-regularly ( I have family there ) .

I think this forum is going to be great !

Nick

Hey Nick -

Got a new '68 Riviera ROA bud in the Hammer ( ...retired ex-Stelco type ).

Met him at our 2010 ROA meet in Hershey/Harrisburg last June, along with some other great ROA members.

What with the ROA, forums like this, and the internet, it can be a very small world indeed.

. . . enjoy that new/old '65 Riviera, and keep us posted on your progress !! ;)

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)