1946 Chrysler Royal Coupe

Guest dannys

I am new to antique car restoration and need help decoding the various numbers I have located on the car. The information I have is:

Serial Number on Door Post: 70024867

Body Number on Firewall: 2455

There are other numbers on the firewall that are legible but I don't know what catergory they fall under. My first mission is to identify the actual year model although the seller assured me it was a 1946. Can anyone help me out?

In Chrysler's model system your car would be a C38S. That year they made the C38S Royal 6 cylinder, C38W Windsor 6, C38 Town and Country 6, C39K Saratoga 8, C39N New Yorker 8, C39 Town and Country 8, and C40 Crown Imperial 8 in rising order of costliness.

The C38S model was built in 1946, 1947 and 1948 without significant changes. Starting serial numbers were 70011001 for 1946, 70023023 for 1947 and 70029674 for 1948. Therefore your car is a 1947 and probably the 1844th made out of 6641 .

The firewall plate contains codes for body style, color, upholstery etc. but unfortunately I do not have the codes. I'm sure some other kind soul will come up with this information.

Thanks so much for your help! I wasn't expecting such a quick response....More questions:

1. On the left rear quarter, there is an antenna but no radio in the car or any obvious place where there has ever been a radio in the car (factory installed). Did they all have antennas whether or not they actually had radios?

2. On the right front fender there is a hole, probably big enough for two fingers to go through (1 and a 1/2 inches in diameter). Any idea what should be there?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much for your help! I wasn't expecting such a quick response....More questions:

1. On the left rear quarter, there is an antenna but no radio in the car or any obvious place where there has ever been a radio in the car (factory installed). Did they all have antennas whether or not they actually had radios?

2. On the right front fender there is a hole, probably big enough for two fingers to go through (1 and a 1/2 inches in diameter). Any idea what should be there?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

There should be no antenna on the rear. The hole in front is probably from an antenna that someone had installed on the fender at one time.

As stated before, the hole in the front fender is for an antenna.

Not all Chrysler cars of that era came with radios. My 47 Town and Country is a radio delete model. You can tell for sure by looking on the firewall plate. There is a spot for a radio on it and a code indicating whether or not the car was optioned with one when bought.

Try to take some pictures and post them. If you can get a clear pic of the data plate that could be deciphered here and you will learn alot about your car.

Royals are a lot scarcer than Windsors and Ny'ers, especially the coupes.

They were - and I am not being insulting here - the cheaper, or if preferred the less expensive, version of the product line.

Hope this helps.

Joe

It's funny, the Royal was the low entry level line, yet they had the beautiful woodgrain dash, and garnish trims, a very classy look.

I have a 47 Royal, and they are of course more rare than any Windsor, because of the lower level production of them......Fred

In 1946 a Chrysler was not a cheap car. Even the lowest priced model was better equipped and better built than most cars on the road. The Royal was selling against cars like the Buick Special, Oldsmobile, Packard 6, Studebaker Land Cruiser and the new Kaiser. Fluid Drive was standard equipment. It was the only car at that time that came with automatic or semi automatic at no extra cost. Upholstery, accessories and fittings were nicer and more lavish than lesser cars.

It may not look like a luxury car by today's standards but in 1946 it was a pretty snazzy deal.

In 1946 a Chrysler was not a cheap car. Even the lowest priced model was better equipped and better built than most cars on the road. The Royal was selling against cars like the Buick Special, Oldsmobile, Packard 6, Studebaker Land Cruiser and the new Kaiser. Fluid Drive was standard equipment. It was the only car at that time that came with automatic or semi automatic at no extra cost. Upholstery, accessories and fittings were nicer and more lavish than lesser cars.

It may not look like a luxury car by today's standards but in 1946 it was a pretty snazzy deal.

Yes, I would have to agree that the Chrysler line, were a luxury line, 46-48 Royals in Canada were often equipped with fluid drive coupler and 3 spd trans, like the Dodges had.

You could upgrade to an M5 semi-auto trans, as Windsors had this trans.

Eeven in 49 and 50, a lot of Canuck Royals still came witha 3 spd trans and Fluid Drive.

Sadly my car had it's fluid drive taken out many years ago, I have a dry clutch, 3 spd trans like a Dodge or Plym.

I could re-install another fluid drive, and 3spd trans. but would have to move the rear cross member, and longer clutch rod for the throw out bearing too.

Other than that, there would not be much to it.

I do have a fluid drive, and housing, if I ever felt this should be attempted.......Fred

I knew that using the word "cheap" in my post would get some attention. I have owned quite a few of these cars and by "cheap" I mean "lower priced"

models. Not cheap in quality or materials.

I did say, too, that they were the "less expensive" models in the line up.

They were ALL beautiful and equally solid and reliable cars.

Sorry if I offended anyone but no intent intended.

Joe

• 1 month later...
Guest frankie47
Sometimes one way to tell if it's original is to look at the tires. If they are on 16" wheels, chances are it's a 1946. I think they went to 15" wheels after 1946.

Chrysler, dodge, desoto and plymouth switched to 15 inch tires in 1947 around mid year. Not sure about the larger sedans and limos.