Trying to ID this 1920s/1930s Touring Car

Guest TBW

I am trying to identify the vehicle in the below/atch'd picture. The picture was taken in Germany in the late 20s or early 30s. I have been told that it is an American car. You can't read an emblem on the radiator, but I was hoping the ornament on the radiator cap xould provide a clue.

Thanks in advance,

TBW

Dayton, OH

post-71541-143138352015_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

Well, if I have to think "American", my first inclination would be Cadillac, based on radiator shell and headlights....

For what it's worth, I noticed the windshield swings open and is held open with slide-brackets / knobs, similar to a Model A...

Benz did make some models in the 1920's with flat radiators ( as opposed to their vee'd radiators) and wooden artillery wheels.

The cowl lights with the double curved-arm mounting are unusual....

Radiator mascot looks like a winged lady...

I wonder if the gentleman with his foot up on the running board is resting his hand on a door handle, indicating a suicide door ?

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Thanks to all, for the quick responses.

I have zoomed the photo as much as possible, but can't get see much of the emblem accept it's shape which appears round. The ornament seems to be a winged woman with flowing hair.

Since 29 or 29 Essex has strong support, I'll try to review as many Essex phtots as possible. The folks in the picture are mostly distant relatives from a village not far from Bremen.

Thanks again,

TBW

This one at the Portland swap meet was said to be a 1929 Essex (before it was rodded). The cowl lamps are the same as your car in question. The ornament on your car is in a book I have that says it is from a 1928 Essex.

post-37352-143138352648_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138352657_thumb.jpg

Here are some 27, 28, 29 and 31 Essex pics. There are some good shots of the radiator ornament. I feel certain that my mystery car is an Essex. I never knew that these cars were exported to Europe.

TBW

post-71541-143138352969_thumb.jpg

post-71541-143138352972_thumb.jpg

post-71541-143138352974_thumb.jpg

post-71541-143138352975_thumb.jpg

post-71541-143138352976_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

Thanks Barry.

This photo also shows an example of "pot metal disease" that afflicts pre-WW II die-castings.

The casting alloys had a lead content that promoted "intergranular corrosion", which leads to a break-down of the metal itself: warping, swelling, cracking, crumbling.

See it all the time with die-cast talking machine parts; also a huge problem with early die-cast carburetor, fuel-pump, vacuum-tank, windshield-wiper motor castings...