1964 Riviera NEW exhaust and muffler Pictures?

Guest hackery

Guest hackery

Hello,

I been digging around on how to install a new exhaust system on my 64 Rivi and I have not seen many pictures with the muffler stowed away behind the axel with a dual in/dual out. My current setup from the previous owner has two mufflers underneath the driver/passenger seat and this is horrible since it heats up the cabin while driving and they will get smashed as i am going to bag it this weekend.

Any suggestions or pictures of on the exhaust systems from engine to bumper would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

There are cross flow mufflers available from many companies. They are generally used for 80's & 90's Camaros. That is my plan for my '65. A Flowmaster cross over behind the diff.. I have glass packs under the floor pan. I dropped mine with springs and I don't drag too much at all. But when it does drag it's the mufflers.

Bag it first. Learned that lesson the hard way. Make sure your exhaust guy checks all your clearences with the car all the way up and all the way down. Last June I installed the Flowmaster crossflow behind the rear axle. I had dual turbo mufflers up front before, and always heard the tink, tink, tink of the exhaust bumping the pavement as I drove the car. This is a much better setup for a low car. The Flowmaster is dual 2.5 inlet and dual 2.5 outlet. Not enough room under a Riviera to run a pipe that big, and the bags need extra clearence. You might make 2" pipe work, but more likely 1 3/4.

Here are some good pictures of the stock exhaust in a 63. Didn't take any pictures of mine when I changed the exhaust, but maybe I can get some. Not too much different than this, though.

Also make sure you have the rear wheel and tire you are running installed when you go the muffler shop. A larger rear wheel and tire will also tighten up clearences.

post-53315-14313834774_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138347743_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138347745_thumb.jpg

Edited by steelman
added note (see edit history)

Guest Kahuna28

If I could request, I'd love to pics of your setup steelman. I'm in the process of changing out my exhaust on my '65 with bags.

I was hoping Steelman would get in on this. Check out how that car is lifted on the two post lift. The pads a on the floor pan braces not on the frame. I passed on one exhaust shop because he was going to have to lift my '65 that way. I guess it would have held up.

Midas did that to my '63 and it cracked the seal on the rear window. You should have seen how close the doors were pinched at the top.

How much weight do you think the body bolts/mounts can hold with the frame, engine, and drive train hanging from it? Is it worth taking the chance?

Ed

The guy that did mine last time had a pit, so the car sat at ride height on its tires the whole time. I have a friend with a four post lift or two. I need to get the car by there and work on a couple small issues we found on the last road trip. I will get some pictures of my exhaust at that time and post them.

• 3 months later...
If I could request, I'd love to pics of your setup steelman. I'm in the process of changing out my exhaust on my '65 with bags.

I am a little late with these. Between family, the job, and the weather, I haven't had the Riviera out much. Made time today to take it by a friends shop and put it up on his lift for some minor issues and took a few pictures of the exhaust while it was there. Mine pretty much follows the stock configuration using the 80 Series Flowmaster Crossflow muffler with dual inlets and dual outlets. I have included pictures of the rear with the car at ride height as well as lowered to the bump stops. Notice how the pipe must snake around in the wheelwell and still miss the control arms, shocks, and tires. And just so you know, the lowest point on a first generation Riviera is not the frame rails. The lowest point on my car is the inspection cover on the bellhousing on the Dynaflow. can't imagine that the ST400 would be much different. When mine is lowered all the way (parked only) this cover is 1/2" off the ground. I found a piece of 5/8 rod handy that would span between the ramps, and it didn't clear. Hope this helps those that were interested.

post-53315-143138463568_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463573_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463577_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463581_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463585_thumb.jpg

post-53315-14313846359_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463594_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463598_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463602_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138463606_thumb.jpg

The last time I needed a muffler for my '64 I took a stock system AND a pair of Hush Power mufflers to the shop. I told him to install the rumbly mufflers if it he could. If that was a PIA, install the stock.

Here is what I came home with. Nice sound, no drone, and sounds a bit like a Chris Craft from behind.

a%20006.jpg

a%20009.jpg

a%20010.jpg