1948 keys

jcmiller

Any chance someone can post a picture of a set of three keys for a 1948 Windsor/Traveler? I have to dig through a box of a hundred or more random keys to try to find the three that fit my car and I'd like to know what they look like.

Also, in my initial attempt I found that several of the keys fit in the ignition but don't turn it. If I can't find the right one is it worth taking one of those to start from so I have an original type key? I don't know if a key can be retooled or if I have to start from a blank.

Thanks!

There are keys for these cars listed on Ebay all the time.

I do not have my keys right now - they are in the shop with my car so I cannot send you pics.

As far as retooling old/used keys - I do not think it is possible.

The ignition key (head) is squarish - meaning the edges are flat. The trunk key (head) is oval. Sorry if that is a crappy description but it is the best I could come up with.

Glove box key I believe is shorter with an oval head.

Joe

Your car came with 2 keys. One had an octagonal head, it was for the ignition and door locks. The other key had a diamond shaped head and was for the trunk lock and glove compartment lock.

Keep trying the different keys. One may work.You never know your luck. If you are not lucky with that plan, any locksmith can make new keys. Try and find an old lock smith in the oldest shop in town, he may have the old key blanks. Or you can get them from Ebay or from antique car supply shops.

I always was informed to beleive the 46 trhought 48 Chryslers had 3 keys assigned to them.

Octagon bow, for ignition and doors, diamond bow for the trunk, and smaller round bow key for glovebox.

This is how I re-keyed my C38 47 Chrysler, is this correct of wrong.........Fred

Attached is a photo of the keys for my 48 New Yorker, the trunk and glove box key are worn hard the ignition key is a Curtis blank #Y 128. Our 52 Imperial also has three keys the glove box key works the factory locking gas cap.

Jay

Thanx Jay, this is the correct number of keys and key assignments, as I have expressed before on this thread, and on another...........Fred

Guest Superjustin13