1930's body part question

Graham Man

I am fairly new to the 1930's cars. I like to talk the correct terminology if possible. The part I am hoping to properly identify is the filler panel between the bottom of the doors and the running boards. It normally covers the frame area between the fenders.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks for the help<o:p></o:p>

Guest De Soto Frank

If the car has running-boards, the sheet-metal in question is usually referred to as the "splash-apron".

The "rocker panel" is what once was the "lower body sill", and the term didn;t come into common useage until running-boards had gone away, around 1940-'42.

If the car has running-boards, the sheet-metal in question is usually referred to as the "splash-apron".

The "rocker panel" is what once was the "lower body sill", and the term didn;t come into common useage until running-boards had gone away, around 1940-'42.

I agree.

"splash-apron" sounds like we have a consciences. Forgive my ignorance, still not sure if it was to keep mud off the running boards (splashing from under the car) or ??? I would think open running boards would gather all kinds of splashing from the wheels? Some of the comments sound like it was to protect the bottom of the car?

1928 Graham Paige 610

1929 Graham Paige 827

1933 Graham 64

Graham Paige Automobiles 1928 - 1941

"splash-apron" sounds like we have a consciences. Forgive my ignorance, still not sure if it was to keep mud off the running boards (splashing from under the car) or ??? I would think open running boards would gather all kinds of splashing from the wheels? Some of the comments sound like it was to protect the bottom of the car?

1928 Graham Paige 610

1929 Graham Paige 827

1933 Graham 64

Graham Paige Automobiles 1928 - 1941

The splash apron was originally invented to keep mud, grease and oil off of the fenders and running boards which used to be exposed without a panel between the running board and body. Carriages started out that way.

I am always amazed at how long it took to move away from the traditional carriage design. I still vividly remember my first night drive with my first 1929 619 flat windshield Graham. I was positive I was about to be hit head on. I will never question the usefulness of the rear window shade again!

Guest De Soto Frank
I am always amazed at how long it took to move away from the traditional carriage design. I still vividly remember my first night drive with my first 1929 619 flat windshield Graham. I was positive I was about to be hit head on. I will never question the usefulness of the rear window shade again!

Had the same experience when first started driving my '28 Ford at night, with all that flat, non-polarized glass ... sometimes those reflections still throw me !

I find it interesting how English auto-styling lagged behind the US by a good ten years even into the 1960's...

Guest De Soto Frank
It's quite simple, really.

Antique Automobiles have "splash aprons".

Used Cars have "rocker panels".

I like the way you think, Clincher ! :D

I can still remember that rainy nite in my 1929 Packard,7p sedan,,Around the corner and straight ahead,,right AT me,,but which of 6 immages in the glass,,Quick ,,,,,hold up my hand to see which side was the light coming from,,,pitter,patter pound,pound,,hart rate at 6,000rpm,,Ok-ok,,,its the FRONT one,,no problem,, Driving 2 wheel brakes on ice is a special thrill too,,Good ole days,,Be careful to remember what ya forget,,could be embarissing,,haha,,Ben

Guest De Soto Frank

I wonder how many auto-accidents were caused by this phenomenon back before stream-lined bodies started getting us away from vertical flat glass in cars... ?

Nowadays, we think of the lousy roads, skinny tires, marginal brakes and lack of safety lighting as primary causes of auto accidents ; I wonder what percentage of auto accidents were the result of phantom autos / reflections in the window glass spooking the driver ?

Of course, that wouldn't apply in the 21st Century, as no one drives their antiques after dark... (except wackos like me... :D )

I wonder how many auto-accidents were caused by this phenomenon back before stream-lined bodies started getting us away from vertical flat glass in cars... ?

Nowadays, we think of the lousy roads, skinny tires, marginal brakes and lack of safety lighting as primary causes of auto accidents ; I wonder what percentage of auto accidents were the result of phantom autos / reflections in the window glass spooking the driver ?

Of course, that wouldn't apply in the 21st Century, as no one drives their antiques after dark... (except wackos like me... :D )

And wackos like me too.

I have wondered why they just did not slant the glass in a the top a little on all windows. It would not take much to move the reflections to below eye level.

At least in summer you can usually have the windows open which helps a lot. And for hand signals, rolling the driver's side window up and down at each turn is a pain anyway.

And wackos like me too.

I have wondered why they just did not slant the glass in a the top a little on all windows. It would not take much to move the reflections to below eye level.

At least in summer you can usually have the windows open which helps a lot. And for hand signals, rolling the driver's side window up and down at each turn is a pain anyway.

I think that some of the 1932 cars were the first ones to have that slightly angled front glass to eliminate reflections from the rear glass.

.....Of course, that wouldn't apply in the 21st Century, as no one drives their antiques after dark... (except wackos like me... :D )

Well, actually it can with RV's like our Class A Winnebago. They have straight up and down side windows that when the lighting is just right you can think there is a vehicle beside you on one side only to realize it is a reflection from the other side. A bit unnerving in conjested traffic.